Best Hop-on/Hop-off Bus in Rome

HazeGray

In my research of Rome Hop-on/Off buses, I noted that there are several companies. Would appreciate any comments or recommendations from previous experiences. thanks in advance.

I hesitated to answer, but as no one else has....

Of all the places where HOHO buses run, Rome is one of the least successful cities. If you plan to just stay on the bus, you cannot get views of some of the "highlights" (e.g., Trevi Fountain) on the bus due to the traffic restrictions and narrow streets.

On the other hand, if you want to get off the HOHO and get back on again, you may end up waiting quite a while and wasting time. If you are only in Rome on a port day from a ship, I would NOT recommend this as a way of seeing the highlights.

However, IF you have mobility issues or IF you will be in Rome for several days, it is one way to get around and see a few of the highlights. Some people feel it helps them get an understanding of where things are in the city, but it didn't work for me because again Rome's streets are so snaky and narrow that you often get quite turned around. I find it much easier to navigate on foot.

Regarding which line to pick, I believe they are all pretty similar. Just check the itineraries and where you can board and pick one that works best for you.

Archived