Where oh where did Logic go? Baffled by Customer Service!

vamartha

I ran into the same problem with the $100 credit for buying a cruise while on a cruise. I had booked the cruise using the Military rate and later the price dropped. When I called about a price adjustment, they said that would not be a problem except that I would lose the $100 credit and replace it with a $50 sales credit. So in the end, I would end up with a very small, total cost reduction for the cruise and I didn't think it worth the effort to go through it.

When you see the DAILY Carnival cruise sales, bear in mind that any current, on board credits would be in jeopardy and the savings could be minimal. In the end, it comes to this. You book early and pick a price that seems reasonable and maybe an on board credit. The other option is to wait to a few weeks before the cruise in hopes that bookings will be poor so the price is the lowest it will ever be and you are willing to take what ever cabin is available at that time. It's heads or tails although many are not willing to accept that.

I ran into the same problem with the $100 credit for buying a cruise while on a cruise. I had booked the cruise using the Military rate and later the price dropped. When I called about a price adjustment, they said that would not be a problem except that I would lose the $100 credit and replace it with a $50 sales credit. So in the end, I would end up with a very small, total cost reduction for the cruise and I didn't think it worth the effort to go through it.

When you see the DAILY Carnival cruise sales, bear in mind that any current, on board credits would be in jeopardy and the savings could be minimal. In the end, it comes to this. You book early and pick a price that seems reasonable and maybe an on board credit. The other option is to wait to a few weeks before the cruise in hopes that bookings will be poor so the price is the lowest it will ever be and you are willing to take what ever cabin is available at that time. It's heads or tails although many are not willing to accept that.

If the $100 OBC was for booking the cruise onboard, you should NOT lose it with any other price drops that have OBC attached. I would fight that if they tried to take it away. If you booked a cruise that gave you OBC with the price, and then price matched to something else, that's a different story. The $100 onboard booking OBC is entirely different.

I am confused. I either scenario, your end price is the same. Why do you care which bucket they assign the discounts?

Oh my. I submitted a $10 price drop request last night. (I know, I know - $10, but that is one drink for one of us :D).

I'm booked Early Saver and my rate is right now is $2458 with a $50 promotional OBC. I found a rate of $2398 and submitted it, explaining that I had a rate of $2458 and a promotional OBC of $50 and I also went on to explain that I knew that actually made only a $10 net difference and that was all I was requesting. Not $60, but $10.

So what do you think I got as a reply? An email explaining that if I asked for the price reduction then they would have to take away my promotional OBC for $50 and did I really want to do that.

Lets do the math here.

$2458 minus $50 = $2408 and the rate I found was $2398 making a credit for me of $10.

Or, $2408 plus the added back promotional credit $50 = $2458 and the rate I found was $2398, making me eligible for a $60 credit.

Either way, it still works out to a new rate of $2398 and a $10 savings for me over what I had (with or without the promotional OBC) and I spelled this out completely in the additional comments section.

Do they not provide calculators to the Customer Service Reps? Their version of Windows has had the calculator removed or blocked? Do they even read the additional comments section? Is there any logic or common sense left in the world? :confused:

Over and out and off my soapbox!

If the $100 OBC was for booking the cruise onboard, you should NOT lose it with any other price drops that have OBC attached. I would fight that if they tried to take it away. If you booked a cruise that gave you OBC with the price, and then price matched to something else, that's a different story. The $100 onboard booking OBC is entirely different.

When you purchase a cruise on a cruise, the $100 on board credit goes with the future cruise. I am not complaining about Carnival since the rules are clear that you lose the $100 on board credit if you make changes to that cruise. I was just advising all of the issue.

I knew that and I told them so in the additional comments! My point was is that the person processing the form should have been sharp enough to see that:

2408 minus 2398=10

2458 minus 50 minus 2398 = 10

I've had the exact experience and yes it is inane. But I have learned that there are some people who really want the $50 OBC when they board, even if it costs them $10 to have it sitting there. So the reps have to ask.

I sure do love my PVP. I was able to call her last week and get my price drops applied right then over the phone. She has been with Carnival for several years and is in the top 50 of PVPs and is able to work from home.

I have 3 cruises booked and got a total of $200 in price drops in 1 phone call. :D :D

Archived