Why I Chose Carnival and Won't Do It Again

Blk_Amish

To start, this was my 14th cruise with RCCL 8x, Princess 2x and Carnival 4x. Prior to this 4th cruise on Carnival we sailed 4 years ago on Princess my least of the 3 lines I have tried. Since my Princess cruise I have spent a month in Europe, 2x land vacation to Hawaii, Jamaica, Canada, Vegas, and seeing the good ole USA. I enjoy cruising but I am no slave to it but I do love the innovation and design of the RCCL line.

Carnival Magic - I usually don't cruise during Spring Break, too many kids and I don't care if they are mine, yours, his or theirs. I had a living nightmare experience on RCCL, but since it was a graduation gift to my I thought, why not. Looking first at usual lines, I was surprised the rate were all within a few hundreds of each other. In this case I would have chosen RCCL but I sailed the Mariner of the Sea before. I loved the itinerary of Princess but thought my son might be bored, so Carnival became my choice for FUN for the 4th time.

How it went- New ship the Magic, easier decor, honestly just feeling happy to be back on a ship. On the second night I asked my son what he thought, he said I have never been bored on a ship before and he preferred Princess. Since I din't see much of him for the rest of the cruise and he did not want to leave, I figured he had a great time. Note to self, don't ask kids without jobs what they think of the money you are spending on their vacation.

What will keep me away - My poor body can't keep up with my brain. I hurt my knees three times on the dance floor. You figured after the first time I would have taken it as a warning, but no. Two more times and swollen knees finally sidelined me. This was proceeded or followed by doing the limbo and hurting my back. How low can you go, too low for my back. I got back and went straight to my chiropractor. Of course I came up with some bizarre story of why my back was out of wack. Well, you didn't expect me to tell him I hurt my back on knee on the Carnival Magic doing the limbo or Popping Tags. I am usually very good with monitoring how much I eat while cruising. AT dining, the grill, midnight pizza, and chocolate melting cake, did me in to the tune of 12 pounds. I told my self was water weight, nope it was the chocolate melting cake. I discovered the MDR for breakfast or brunch, well why not filet mignon for breakfast, yum. The people I met were something else. Some tired to leave me into temptation not knowing I could get there all by myself. For that I will say what happened in Mexico stays in Mexico and what I discovered in Jamaica is making me go back, hahah not that or that, come on:D I have been there before but sailing into port let me desire go inland and away from the port areas.

By day 5 of this cruise, I thought of Princess and recalled the joy of thinking I was bored/too relax on a cruise. I was hurting, popping Advil to relief muscle pain and my outfits are feeling mighty tight. I got home, slept for three days and thought, really I paid money on Carnival to get home home this tired, sore and exhausted NEVER AGAIN:D

My next planned cruise is on Princess because of the itinerary and eyeing Oasis of Sea for the ship experience. For those rates, you won't get me off that ship even if it was sinking, at least I will be the last one off.

Carnival it was FUN but I am getting old, feeble and FUN-damentally challenged. Overall, once the pain stopped it was a FUN cruise. Did I get what I pay for: food I wasn't cooking, hopping dance floor, transportation to several ports from the cove balcony, and meeting some great people? No, it was really a priceless experience as most cruises for me but the price tag was 600 pp.

To start, this was my 14th cruise with RCCL 8x, Princess 2x and Carnival 4x. Prior to this 4th cruise on Carnival we sailed 4 years ago on Princess my least of the 3 lines I have tried. Since my Princess cruise I have spent a month in Europe, 2x land vacation to Hawaii, Jamaica, Canada, Vegas, and seeing the good ole USA. I enjoy cruising but I am no slave to it but I do love the innovation and design of the RCCL line.

Carnival Magic - I usually don't cruise during Spring Break, too many kids and I don't care if they are mine, yours, his or theirs. I had a living nightmare experience on RCCL, but since it was a graduation gift to my I thought, why not. Looking first at usual lines, I was surprised the rate were all within a few hundreds of each other. In this case I would have chosen RCCL but I sailed the Mariner of the Sea before. I loved the itinerary of Princess but thought my son might be bored, so Carnival became my choice for FUN for the 4th time.

How it went- New ship the Magic, easier decor, honestly just feeling happy to be back on a ship. On the second night I asked my son what he thought, he said I have never been bored on a ship before and he preferred Princess. Since I din't see much of him for the rest of the cruise and he did not want to leave, I figured he had a great time. Note to self, don't ask kids without jobs what they think of the money you are spending on their vacation.

What will keep me away - My poor body can't keep up with my brain. I hurt my knees three times on the dance floor. You figured after the first time I would have taken it as a warning, but no. Two more times and swollen knees finally sidelined me. This was proceeded or followed by doing the limbo and hurting my back. How low can you go, too low for my back. I got back and went straight to my chiropractor. Of course I came up with some bizarre story of why my back was out of wack. Well, you didn't expect me to tell him I hurt my back on knee on the Carnival Magic doing the limbo or Popping Tags. I am usually very good with monitoring how much I eat while cruising. AT dining, the grill, midnight pizza, and chocolate melting cake, did me in to the tune of 12 pounds. I told my self was water weight, nope it was the chocolate melting cake. I discovered the MDR for breakfast or brunch, well why not filet mignon for breakfast, yum. The people I met were something else. Some tired to leave me into temptation not knowing I could get there all by myself. For that I will say what happened in Mexico stays in Mexico and what I discovered in Jamaica is making me go back, hahah not that or that, come on:D I have been there before but sailing into port let me desire go inland and away from the port areas.

By day 5 of this cruise, I thought of Princess and recalled the joy of thinking I was bored/too relax on a cruise. I was hurting, popping Advil to relief muscle pain and my outfits are feeling mighty tight. I got home, slept for three days and thought, really I paid money on Carnival to get home home this tired, sore and exhausted NEVER AGAIN:D

My next planned cruise is on Princess because of the itinerary and eyeing Oasis of Sea for the ship experience. For those rates, you won't get me off that ship even if it was sinking, at least I will be the last one off.

Carnival it was FUN but I am getting old, feeble and FUN-damentally challenged. Overall, once the pain stopped it was a FUN cruise. Did I get what I pay for: food I wasn't cooking, hopping dance floor, transportation to several ports from the cove balcony, and meeting some great people? No, it was really a priceless experience as most cruises for me but the price tag was 600 pp.

This reminds me of a report given to the Board of Directors of a large sales corporation. The report is several pages long and contains very bright and positive points concerning operations in the store. The last sentence then reads: "Therefore, I recommend the store be immediately closed and all assets sold".

this reminds me of a report given to the board of directors of a large sales corporation. The report is several pages long and contains very bright and positive points concerning operations in the store. The last sentence then reads: "therefore, i recommend the store be immediately closed and all assets sold".

lol

Fun can cause a lot of wear and tear. I spent last weekend bike riding with a nephew through 20 miles of hills, woods, and highway. Banged my knee, somehow scratched the back of my leg, got chewed to pieces by killer mosquitos -- and I'm just now discovering bumps and bruises that were overshadowed by the aforementioned agonies!

Can't wait to do it again.

Hopefully, I'll recover just in time for my next cruise, and then I can strain my back kayaking, scrape myself up some more renting a bike, and over-exert myself to make up for overeating and blowing my healthy diet to smithereens...!

A case of it hurts sooo good or bad:p.

I was pushing myself to make up for the over eating, in terms kept me up late, but eating at times I wouldn't normally and wearing out my body. Due to the pain I couldn't jump back to my workout routine so the pound stuck around, now I am simply too lazy. First week back I was in a knee brace and saw my chiropractor 3 times.

Being a Spring Break cruise, it really exceeded my expectation when it came to the kids.

A case of it hurts sooo good or bad:p.

I was pushing myself to make up for the over eating, in terms kept me up late, but eating at times I wouldn't normally and wearing out my body. Due to the pain I couldn't jump back to my workout routine so the pound stuck around, now I am simply too lazy. First week back I was in a knee brace and saw my chiropractor 3 times.

Being a Spring Break cruise, it really exceeded my expectation when it came to the kids.

It's one of those vacations that you need to take a vacation after, just to get some rest and relaxation.

Great fun to read. However, I can't quite tell if there were NOT things your own "age" to enjoy or you simply kept beating yourself up because you forgot how much it pained you!

I think it might be the case of the brain of a 20 year old in the body of a almost 50 year old plus getting the chance to enjoy activities of younger years gone by. I love dancing but dropping like it hot every night until 2 am, then eating pizza might not have been the best idea. While having FUN, why not test the tolerance for alcohol. Good news on that, I have gotten better with age. This was my first cruise at this 'age' knocking on 50s door. Now I know 50 and possible over da hill, NOT:D

Maybe I should focus on age appropriate activities, 50 and heading ova da hill because my body is screaming foul:D!

Does Carnival have other activities other than those that sound painful for those of us who are 50? I just can't move like I used to. It's truly painful now.. not sure why, but it is. I used to laugh at people who said that they just couldn't do what they used to, but I know now that they are telling 100% of the truth. My mind wants to do it, too, but at just over 50, I've finally figured out that the thrill of the moment isn't worth the 2 days of pain afterwards.

[ My next planned cruise is on Princess because of the itinerary and eyeing Oasis of Sea for the ship experience. For those rates, you won't get me off that ship even if it was sinking, at least I will be the last one off. ]

Lol, this made my co-workers wonder what was so funny. Thanks for the fun read :)

Does Carnival have other activities other than those that sound painful for those of us who are 50? I just can't move like I used to. It's truly painful now.. not sure why, but it is. I used to laugh at people who said that they just couldn't do what they used to, but I know now that they are telling 100% of the truth. My mind wants to do it, too, but at just over 50, I've finally figured out that the thrill of the moment isn't worth the 2 days of pain afterwards.

I am there:D I got home on the verge of crying with my face grimaced in pain but somehow I managed to smile and whisper the words, Yes Carnival is Fun.

The activities were FUN, my excess and old bones made them painful. I had an amazing Cove Balcony, so I could have safely sat and watched the world go by. Carnival is a go, go go type cruise and I went, went, went without much thought. Fifty is hitting hard and I now know I am not the person/partier I used to be. As with most of my trips, age is starting to take its toll. I will never stick to one cruise line or vacation type, but I might start to acknowledge my limits. If I drop it like it's hot, I might need someone to pick it back up for me or a chiropractor to straighten it out.

to start, this was my 14th cruise with rccl 8x, princess 2x and carnival 4x. Prior to this 4th cruise on carnival we sailed 4 years ago on princess my least of the 3 lines i have tried. Since my princess cruise i have spent a month in europe, 2x land vacation to hawaii, jamaica, canada, vegas, and seeing the good ole usa. I enjoy cruising but i am no slave to it but i do love the innovation and design of the rccl line.

Carnival magic - i usually don't cruise during spring break, too many kids and i don't care if they are mine, yours, his or theirs. I had a living nightmare experience on rccl, but since it was a graduation gift to my i thought, why not. Looking first at usual lines, i was surprised the rate were all within a few hundreds of each other. In this case i would have chosen rccl but i sailed the mariner of the sea before. I loved the itinerary of princess but thought my son might be bored, so carnival became my choice for fun for the 4th time.

How it went- new ship the magic, easier decor, honestly just feeling happy to be back on a ship. On the second night i asked my son what he thought, he said i have never been bored on a ship before and he preferred princess. Since i din't see much of him for the rest of the cruise and he did not want to leave, i figured he had a great time. Note to self, don't ask kids without jobs what they think of the money you are spending on their vacation.

What will keep me away - my poor body can't keep up with my brain. I hurt my knees three times on the dance floor. You figured after the first time i would have taken it as a warning, but no. Two more times and swollen knees finally sidelined me. This was proceeded or followed by doing the limbo and hurting my back. How low can you go, too low for my back. I got back and went straight to my chiropractor. Of course i came up with some bizarre story of why my back was out of wack. Well, you didn't expect me to tell him i hurt my back on knee on the carnival magic doing the limbo or popping tags. I am usually very good with monitoring how much i eat while cruising. At dining, the grill, midnight pizza, and chocolate melting cake, did me in to the tune of 12 pounds. I told my self was water weight, nope it was the chocolate melting cake. I discovered the mdr for breakfast or brunch, well why not filet mignon for breakfast, yum. The people i met were something else. Some tired to leave me into temptation not knowing i could get there all by myself. For that i will say what happened in mexico stays in mexico and what i discovered in jamaica is making me go back, hahah not that or that, come on:d i have been there before but sailing into port let me desire go inland and away from the port areas.

By day 5 of this cruise, i thought of princess and recalled the joy of thinking i was bored/too relax on a cruise. I was hurting, popping advil to relief muscle pain and my outfits are feeling mighty tight. I got home, slept for three days and thought, really i paid money on carnival to get home home this tired, sore and exhausted never again:d

my next planned cruise is on princess because of the itinerary and eyeing oasis of sea for the ship experience. For those rates, you won't get me off that ship even if it was sinking, at least i will be the last one off.

Carnival it was fun but i am getting old, feeble and fun-damentally challenged. Overall, once the pain stopped it was a fun cruise. Did i get what i pay for: Food i wasn't cooking, hopping dance floor, transportation to several ports from the cove balcony, and meeting some great people? No, it was really a priceless experience as most cruises for me but the price tag was 600 pp.

what???

Great post. My first cruise was on a Carnival ship and had a wonderful time. Second cruise we decided we didn't want to be tied to one cruise line and took a Princess cruise to Alaska and was bored to tears. Have only cruised on Carnival since then but now that we are reaching our mid 60's we are thinking about a more sedate cruise line.

Great post. My first cruise was on a Carnival ship and had a wonderful time. Second cruise we decided we didn't want to be tied to one cruise line and took a Princess cruise to Alaska and was bored to tears. Have only cruised on Carnival since then but now that we are reaching our mid 60's we are thinking about a more sedate cruise line.

As I age, different things appeal to me for different reasons. The thought of two weeks on a beach with a drink or quiet time of the deck of a ship was my worst nightmare. That nightmare is slowly turning into a beautiful dream, safe from dropping anything that can't be easily and safely picked up. I think CCL will understand that if this ova da hill cruiser search for calmer decks.

Archived