Advice Needed Please...

cru2

Hello

I am not new to cruising but I am to Celebrity & am hoping for some advice please?

I have enquired about a Canaries & Azores cruise for September 2014 sailing from Southampton the prices quoted are much the same but am not sure which grade of cabin is better....

1. Grade 2c Continental Deck mid ship Balcony..the information i was given is that this is a partially (25%) obstructed view by lifeboats...How bad is the obstruction?

2. Grade 2b Sunrise Deck Aft Balcony no obstruction.

Also they do not have any disabled cabins available that sleep 4 so is a standard balcony ok for a wheelchair user who cannot walk but is light enough to be carried from chair to bed, also what are the bathrooms like?

hoping someone can advise, thanks

Four in one room, plus a wheelchair will be really tight. But you probably already know that.

There are a couple of threads with photos of cabins and maybe seeing them will help you decide.

How old are the two kids?

Adults really, they will be 22 & 24 when we go, we have stayed in a cabin for 4 before on Grand Princess..it was very very tight but also very amusing..3 women ..the husband found it a real hardship to go the bar whilst we got ready haha.

Being someone who is unable to walk I'm not sure it would work out with a standard balcony room sleeping 4. I would advise you too check the door widths etc. I'm not so sure you'll find enough space for luggage etc.

Thanks i never thought of that ..door widths..when we last stayed 4 to a standard cabin Grand Princess it was tight but we managed to get the chair in the door & that was an Inside cabin, but this time we are looking at a Balcony so hopefully it won't seem as claustraphobic..don't think i have correct spelling on that one oops!

I would look carefully at the options for sleeping four adults -- especially on S-class ships. You will see how the third and fourth bed are and may decide that it's just not right for you. I'm sure someone can come up with the links to the photographs of the different arrangements for four on Celebrity.

I would look carefully at the options for sleeping four adults -- especially on S-class ships. You will see how the third and fourth bed are and may decide that it's just not right for you. I'm sure someone can come up with the links to the photographs of the different arrangements for four on Celebrity.

What type of wheelchair - is it for one of your children? My boys are 16,16 & 20. Last cruise we had 2 rooms (connecting) as there was 5 of us -and my son who needed the wheelchair was 14 (we use a convaid cruiser - but it is fairly light and folds up like a stroller).

This time we do have a clebrity oceanview room with a pull out couch and one pull down bed. It is tight but we are doing a port intensive cruise so it should be ok. We also have 2 rooms - different floors this time as we are 6 as my mom is coming - she has a handicapped conceirge room.

Sharon

Hello

I am not new to cruising but I am to Celebrity & am hoping for some advice please?

I have enquired about a Canaries & Azores cruise for September 2014 sailing from Southampton the prices quoted are much the same but am not sure which grade of cabin is better....

1. Grade 2c Continental Deck mid ship Balcony..the information i was given is that this is a partially (25%) obstructed view by lifeboats...How bad is the obstruction?

2. Grade 2b Sunrise Deck Aft Balcony no obstruction.

Also they do not have any disabled cabins available that sleep 4 so is a standard balcony ok for a wheelchair user who cannot walk but is light enough to be carried from chair to bed, also what are the bathrooms like?

hoping someone can advise, thanks

Cru2,

Have you posed your questions to Celebrity's Special Needs Department? They should have the answers you need to make your decision.

Ray in NH

Cru2,

Have you posed your questions to Celebrity's Special Needs Department? They should have the answers you need to make your decision.

Ray in NH

thanks i will email or try to ring.

You will also be able to get many many more specific responses if you include a more descriptive title for a new thread repeating your question. For example instead of titling it "Advice Needed Please" you might title it "Room for wheelchair +4 adults in std. cabin?

There is also a special board here on Cruise critic for discussion related to cruising with disabilities. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190 You might post there too, again be descriptive in your title and include the word "Celebrity" since that board is for all cruise lines.

I am not disabled so I'm not going to begin to understand what it is like to maneuver in a wheelchair nor what your daughter's specific abilities are. But here are some photos of a typical cabin on deck 6 of the Eclipse. This particular cabin does not have the upper so it is just for 3 but the layout would be the same. I would think it would be difficult to maneuver a wheelchair around the bed into the main area of the cabin. It also looks like it would be difficult to get to the closet area and there is a high threshold into the bathrooms and verandas in cabins that are not "accessible". Also, while this cabin was not considered obstructed view there is a photo looking down the side of the ship which shows lifeboats in front of 2C cabins which will give you a little bit of an idea of the obstruction level.

Celebrity Eclipse Stateroom 6238

As to whether a mid-ship 2c or an aft 2b is better, that is only a question you can answer. The obstruction in the 2C cabins isn't too bad but some might not like it. Some really like the aft view, but personally I don't like the aft cabins on the S class ships and they are pretty far from the elevators.

Have you looked into the possibility of two less expensive cabins, even insides, where an accessible might be available or the layout and cabin would be more practical for 4 adults? Personally, I'd much rather have 2 insides over one veranda cabin for 4 adults if the cost was manageable.

What type of wheelchair - is it for one of your children? My boys are 16,16 & 20. Last cruise we had 2 rooms (connecting) as there was 5 of us -and my son who needed the wheelchair was 14 (we use a convaid cruiser - but it is fairly light and folds up like a stroller).

This time we do have a clebrity oceanview room with a pull out couch and one pull down bed. It is tight but we are doing a port intensive cruise so it should be ok. We also have 2 rooms - different floors this time as we are 6 as my mom is coming - she has a handicapped conceirge room.

Sharon

Hi it is a manual wheelchair for my eldest Daughter. Couldn't get a disabled room that slept 4 which is why i posed the question as to which was the better cabin a 2C or 2B. Do you have any idea as to which is the better one please?

Thanks to everyone for your feedback we have decided not to book this sailing as they do not have any accessible cabins available for the dates we want..a shame because the ship does look great..back to the drawing board !

Archived