Gay Couple First Time Cruisers

singlech

Hey everyone! My partner and I are booking are first cruise for the week of Thanksgiving 2013. We want to embark from a port within a relatively short driving distance from home. The two cruises we are looking at are NCL Dawn out of Tampa and RCL Freedom of The Seas out of Port Canaveral. We are both in are late thirties and enjoy a more quiet relaxing evening than nightclubs and parties. We are looking forward to shows and other entertainment on the ship. We are not too concerned about the itineraries because either would be fun and exciting for us. Would love to hear from those of you who have cruised with NCL or RCL. Is one better than the other for gay couples and first time cruisers?

Hi there. We have not been on NCL, but the RCCL line of ships is our cruise line of choice. We prefer Celebrity and Azamara over Royal, but had a great time on the one Royal Cruise we took. They are very gay friendly and we met a lot of great people that remain friends, both gay and straight. The food is excellent and we always come home with a few extra pounds........ Enjoy your cruise

Another vote for RCCL. I have never been on either of those ships, but my experience on NCL was not nearly as good as on RCCL. The food was definitely better and the ships are more interesting. But Celebrity would be better than either.

A vote for Norwegian here. We enjoy the laid back informal atmosphere and the welcome we get from them. Not having to tote (or wear) a coat and tie is a big plus for us. Also, we have met some great folks at the nightly LGBT gatherings advertised and held each day on every ship. All that being said, I am sure tou will have a great on whichever you choose. Welcome to your new addiction!

We've done Freedom of the Seas and were able to find more relaxed entertainment in the evenings. Often, there was a big band or jazz band and dancing in one of the venues, and one could sit with a drink and enjoy the music. FOS has a decent amount of dining options, and never felt crowded to us (though that can depend on the sailing, for example around holidays). If you find you like RCI, and wish to drive farther from home for a port, you might eventually consider Oasis/Allure, which have even more entertainment options (and rather boring itineraries, which it sounds like wouldn't make a difference to you). You'd have great options for dining on those ships as well--a suggestion for down the road once you're addicted to cruising like the rest of us.

I think you'll enjoy either one of the options you are considering. If you'd rather stay more casually dressed, NCL is probably a better choice. But you can certainly dress casually on Royal Caribbean too, however, they do still officially have a formal night where there is a suggestion to dress up. However, you can always avoid that by dining in the buffet that evening and/or dress less casually than the guidelines suggest (no one will call you out on it unless you're really, really below the suggested guidelines). On both cruise lines, you'll find ample opportunity to relax in quiet areas listening to piano music or lounge singers. You can also sit off to the side in the dance bars and people watch without feeling that you have to be bouncing on the dance floors. I find food to be about the same on both lines. If you think you might prefer sitting at a group table at a fixed time every night in the dining room, then I would pick Royal Caribbean. If you think you'd rather dine by yourselves at a table for 2, I'd pick NCL. Both lines have nightly gatherings of LGBT/"Friends of Dorothy" available either posted in the daily paper (NCL) or listed on a bulletin board in the main lobby (Royal). Personally, I have had mixed success in meeting other gays at those gatherings, but that's more my fault than others. Shows and entertainment on those two ships are generally the same level of quality. It will depend on exactly who they have booked that week whether you like or dislike. But the same will be true with both ships and you can't find that information out in advance really. Either way, both are good lines and you'll have a good time. My preference: A slight advantage to NCL. But I generally cruise more for the itinerary and not the ship.

We've done Freedom of the Seas and were able to find more relaxed entertainment in the evenings. Often, there was a big band or jazz band and dancing in one of the venues, and one could sit with a drink and enjoy the music. FOS has a decent amount of dining options, and never felt crowded to us (though that can depend on the sailing, for example around holidays).

I agree with what CntPAcruiser has said. I will be on Freedom OTS on the sailing immediately after the Thanksgiving sailing. It will be my second time on that ship and is the class of RCL ships I prefer.

Good spaces for socializing, and nice lounges with live music around the ship.

I have not been on NCL, but have friends that do both RCL and NCL and have

good things to say about NCL, but they prefer Royal and only sail NCL for

a good price or itinerary.

Whatever decision you make...you will be hooked on cruising and can then

try the other line to see what you think.

Enjoy!

Hey everyone! My partner and I are booking are first cruise for the week of Thanksgiving 2013. We want to embark from a port within a relatively short driving distance from home. The two cruises we are looking at are NCL Dawn out of Tampa and RCL Freedom of The Seas out of Port Canaveral. We are both in are late thirties and enjoy a more quiet relaxing evening than nightclubs and parties. We are looking forward to shows and other entertainment on the ship. We are not too concerned about the itineraries because either would be fun and exciting for us. Would love to hear from those of you who have cruised with NCL or RCL. Is one better than the other for gay couples and first time cruisers?

I guess I'm a big RCI fan and I've done 4 all-gay Atlantis charters on RCI and all were fantastic. The Freedom is incredible with it huge atrium mall and 3 story dining room. RCI are a class act all the way. I've done two NCL cruises and didn't like them as much over the RCI ship. But both are nice and I think either would be great for a 1st timer. RCI does not publish GLBT/FOD gatherings in their newsletter; however, there is a standard gathering posted in the ships bulletin board near guest relations. You can add addition gatherings if you want. NCL post gatherings in the newsletter or you can request it. NCL is more relaxed in dress where RCI still has two formal dress nights (suit and tie is fine or get all decked out in your tuxs) but you can skip formal night and just go to the buffet. NCL has the freestyle dining concept which some people love and some don't. Cruisecritic has a whole section dedicated to GLBT cruisers. I think it might be very helpful to you. Enjoy.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisestyles/area.cfm?area=24

Thanks everyone! With overwhelming likes for RCL here and past cruisers that I've spoke with, we have decided to venture further from home to San Juan for our cruise. I have narrowed it down to the Celebrity Summit or RCL Jewel of the Seas. Thoughts???

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If We had our choice it would be easy. Celebrity Summit. Fewer kids, smaller ship, more upscale than RCCL, better food (of course, subjective), more laidback than RCCL. All owned by the same company, Celebrity is just a step up from RCCL. The shows are really pretty good on Celebrity, not as much of a variety as RCCL. Either way you will have a great time.

Thanks everyone! With overwhelming likes for RCL here and past cruisers that I've spoke with, we have decided to venture further from home to San Juan for our cruise. I have narrowed it down to the Celebrity Summit or RCL Jewel of the Seas. Thoughts???

Well, judging by your new countdown clock, you decided on the Summit! You'll have a great time. Welcome to CruiseCritic!

Well, judging by your new countdown clock, you decided on the Summit! You'll have a great time. Welcome to CruiseCritic!

Sill undecided :confused: We have reservations on both ships. Thanks!

Either way, the itineraries out of San Juan include some beautiful islands, and you will be heading directly to warm weather in January. We've done Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan three times, the last time in January, and had one of the best cruises we've ever done. Never sailed on one of the smaller ships--we're somewhat curious, but feel we'd miss out on some of the things we've gotten used to on Voyager class and larger. That said, I've heard the service is much better on the smaller ships. I don't think you can go too far wrong either way, and it's not like you can't try the other cruise line for your next cruise.

I agree with CntPACruiser, once you go on your first cruise, you'll likely be hooked, and therefore you can always try the other one as your second!

Another way to see if a particular sailing might be for you is to take a look at the Roll Calls for each of them.

The Roll Calls have their own forum on the boards and are organized by cruise line and they can give you a sense of the "vibe" of the passengers who'll be on either cruise.

Caution though that they'll give you a sense of what the "active population of posters on Cruise Critic who'll be on each cruise" will be like. It's a small sampling, but it could be useful for someone trying to decide.

The two are: Summit:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1680149&highlight=11

and Jewel of the Seas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1756152

You may have seen that there are also Roll Calls on the GLBT section of the boards, but I don't see either of the Thanks Giving sailings for these ships on there. If they are, my apologies, I just couldn't see them. If they're not, then maybe you set one up once you decide!

BTW I booked three suites on one ship and one on another and paid deposits on them....and held all of them for two months before deciding which one to do.....you are not alone in being a bit indecisive. The choices are phenomenal and overwhelming.

Oh, Celebrity, hands-down. We are in our mid-30s and enjoy the quiet, upscale atmosphere. The Solarium is a great place to relax and the Martini Bar is the LGBT hang out. I have not been on RCI, so I can't comment from experience. But those ships just look rowdy and obnoxious. You won't regret Celebrity. We discovered them 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

Michael

Jewel was our first cruise and it was very enjoyable but as I investigated more I thought that Celebrity may be more to our liking. 13 cruises later on Celebrity in the last six years including 3 on Summit proved the thinking right on! We are on the Summit again in Sept too. Whichever you choose looks like you will be visiting St Croix - we have lived here for the past 26 years ( time flies ) so any questions you may have to make your visit more enjoyable just ask away!

Richard

You guys sound similar to us! Our vote would be for Celebrity Summit. We sailed on her before she was refurbished / Solsticized and enjoyed it very much. We have tried Princess, Celebrity and Carnival and Celebrity is our top choice. Princess, second.

We had a cruise booked last year on the RCL Jewel of the Seas but cancelled it for another Celebrity cruise in Europe. Did a lot of research on RCL and the Jewel. She is a larger ship than the Summit and you will find more children on RCL ships. Your original post let me to believe you enjoy quiet evenings and not a lot of loudness, party atmosphere or extra stimulation...which RCL probably delivers more of. I believe Celebrity would be a great first cruise experience to try. If you can swing it, Aqua Class or Concierge Class is worth the extra $$. Cabins 9038 and 9043 are AQ I believe and will give you a much larger balcony to enjoy!

If you have any questions, feel free to email: scorpgc@gmail.com

Have a great time on your cruise!!

OK maybe i'm something here...

Exactly WHERE is Celebrity located in this paragraph??:mad::rolleyes:

OK maybe i'm something here...

?? Well, looks like you missed something. Their post / inquiry is on the first page of this thread. Check it out.

OK maybe i'm [missing?] something here...

The OP amended the question in a later post. Nothing to get angry about.

Thanks everyone for you help so far. I have narrowed my choices down to:

• Celebrity Summit Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S.V.I.; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Roseau, Dominica; St. George's, Grenada; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.
  • Royal Adventure of the Seas Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao.
  • Royal Jewel of the Seas Departing from San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Fort De France, Martinique; Castries, St. Lucia.

In regards to the ships:

• Is the entertainment better on one than another?
  • Is the shopping better on one than another?
  • Is the dining better on one than another?

In regards to the itinerary:

• Are any of the ports better one one than another for shopping?
  • Any must see or do excursions?
  • Is one itinerary more Gay Friendly than another?

We are still looking forward to onboard entertainment. Some have mentioned that Celebrity my be geared towards an older crowd and not much of a nightlife. While we have no intentions of partying all night, I think we would enjoy some later evenings, just not till 2:00/3:00 in the morning:eek:.

Archived