Alaska Land DIY or No?

suzski

I'm going to be taking my mom on a trip to Alaska in early August and the difference for a 3 night add-on for a land portion comes to $688 for the two of us. This includes two nights in Fairbanks and one night in Denali, as well as transportation to our embarkation point in Whittier (no meals). I've done a bit of preliminary searching and it appears I can do this cheaper...the question is this: if you had only 3 nights, what would you consider to be the most important places to visit considering the budget?...i.e, should I skip Fairbanks and fly in somewhere else? Or should I stick with the Cruise/Land Tour? The goal is not to exceed this price point.

You need to find out more about what you are considering. Frankly 3 day add ons are many times a poor choice, which I would say you may not be aware of. First question to ask yourself- why are you looking at Fairbanks? Your post seems to look only at price- are you aware of the time and distances? It looks like this is a Princess land package? Is the Natural History tour included? BIG problem perhaps? Are you aware it's a 10 hour train ride Denali/Whittier? With the last 2 hours the highlighted scenery.

An independent option to perhaps look at is to cut the transits if you continue to have only 3 extra days would be to consider Seward and Matsu. IF the cruise is firm out of Whittier, to max the time, but increases the budget- go direct between Seward and Whittier. Find out about Seward- it is loaded with many touring opportunities with a major varied wildlife jackpot on a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Helicopter glacier landings, Sealife Center, Sled Dog activity, Exit Glacier etc. http://www.seward.com Matsu, offers scenic driving opportunities, ease of a nice glacier trek- guided-suitable for many ages. :) Eklutna Spirit house tours, only an hour are very interesting, chance to see Musk Ox at the farm, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine could be of interest, http://www.alaskavisit.com Anchorage certainly is also worthwhile, again depending on interests. http://www.anchorage.net

Thanks for your thoughts! I think what we might do is look at taking at northbound (which I would prefer anyway) and going to Denali and back via rental car.

Go for as long as you can afford, I don't recommend less than 5 days out of Seward, 4 out of Whittier. You need at least 2 nights at Denali Park, don't consider any less. And be well aware of transit times and distances. Don't underestimate them.

Budget Queen is correct, as always.

Doing a land tour to Denali does not make sense if you have only 3 days. You’d spend most of your time in your car. About 5 days, which would include Denali and other destinations along the way, would probably be the minimum. If you have only 3 days, just concentrate on the sights around Anchorage and south, such as Kenai Peninsula, Matanuska Glacier, Chugach Park, and like.

Thanks to all for your advice. We booked our cruise/flights so I've got the trip planned out this way:

Day 1: Cruise ends. Pick up rental car; Drive to Healy

Day 2: Tour Denali; Overnight Healy

Day 3: ??

Day 4: ??; Depart Anchorage on flight at 10:30 p.m.

As you can see we have basically 2 full days and a night available due to our late night flight out of Anchorage. So now I'm trying to figure out how best to utilize this time, realizing we've got the 5-hour drive back to Anchorage to contend with at some point. Regardless, we definitely want to go to Denali - it's a Bucket List Item.

Thanks to all for your advice. We booked our cruise/flights so I've got the trip planned out this way:

Day 1: Cruise ends. Pick up rental car; Drive to Healy

Day 2: Tour Denali; Overnight Healy

Day 3: ??

Day 4: ??; Depart Anchorage on flight at 10:30 p.m.

As you can see we have basically 2 full days and a night available due to our late night flight out of Anchorage. So now I'm trying to figure out how best to utilize this time, realizing we've got the 5-hour drive back to Anchorage to contend with at some point. Regardless, we definitely want to go to Denali - it's a Bucket List Item.

Does the cruise end in Whittier? If so, your plan is doable with an Avis car rental. If the cruise ends in Seward, it is a long day from Seward to Denali.

Day two should not be a "tour" in Denali, it should be a shuttle bus. Shuttle bus goes further into the park and is much cheaper.

Day three can be from Denali to Matanuska Glacier, Wasilla, Independence Mine or somewhere similar north of Anchorage.

Day four can be exploring Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage.

Does the cruise end in Whittier? If so, your plan is doable with an Avis car rental. If the cruise ends in Seward, it is a long day from Seward to Denali.

Day two should not be a "tour" in Denali, it should be a shuttle bus. Shuttle bus goes further into the park and is much cheaper.

Day three can be from Denali to Matanuska Glacier, Wasilla, Independence Mine or somewhere similar north of Anchorage.

Day four can be exploring Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage.

Frugaltravel,

Yes, cruise ends in Whittier and we are renting a car from Avis. As far as the "tour" in Denali I misspoke...we are indeed doing the green shuttle bus in Denali to Wonder Lake, not the tan tour bus.

Where would you recommend that we stay on the last night?

Generally Anchorage is fairly expensive. Depending on what your plans are after Denali, I would consider Wasilla, Eagle River or Girdwood for a place to stay. But it really depends on what you do that day. Perhaps Sheep Mountain Lodge near Matanuska Glacier is an option if you plan to go glacier hiking that day for example.

Frugaltravel,

Yes, cruise ends in Whittier and we are renting a car from Avis. As far as the "tour" in Denali I misspoke...we are indeed doing the green shuttle bus in Denali to Wonder Lake, not the tan tour bus.

I would suggest you consider doing a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier and taking the train to Anchorage. Next day pick up a round trip car out of Anchorage, easy scenic drive to Healy for your two nights at Denali. Final day, leaving in the am, offers you some more sightseeing that you didn't do on the northbound. With allowing 6 hours for the drive in each direction, have several available hours for stops and activities.

Your flight time means at the latest, a 8:30pm airport arrival.

Archived