Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

Thanks for taking the time to let us know that you don't care.

What I don't care about is the constant questions and answers about the "dress code" and the impression here that this is the be all and end all of a Cunard cruise. It's become worse that the smoking threads...

OK this is of vital importance to some, whose whole evening and possibly cruise is ruined be the sight of a diner who does not comply fully with their interpretation of "the code". Thankfully there are many, ladies and gents who dress neatly and cleanly to dinner, with ladies who interpret, naturally, more liberally and gents like me who wear the jacket (without tie apparently nowadays) although I would like a bit more relaxation on occasions.

David.

What I don't care about is the constant questions and answers about the "dress code" and the impression here that this is the be all and end all of a Cunard cruise. It's become worse that the smoking threads...

I'm sure the OP feels duly chastised. :rolleyes:

Why don't you ask the mods to create a sticky outlining the topics acceptable to you. That way, people would only discuss things that you find interesting.

Alternatively, you can just bypass any threads about topics you find unpalatable.

Yes, they are acceptable on formal nights.

The outfit you're wearing looks like an evening dress to me. But it's hard to say because you're sitting down. I must say how lovely you look, so keep wearing it! :)

Thank you Whitemarsh! (And superb photos, as usual! I appreciate you taking the time to find them.)

Blue Riband, you made an interesting point about the dancing. On my last two cruises I have returned to my ballroom dancing roots. I even bought a pair of dancing shoes. Unfortunately the decorative buckle ripped the hem of my long skirt to bits, so it might be time to take it up rather than try to adjust the length when dancing by pulling the waistband up to my midriff. :rolleyes:

Balf, my attitude towards the dress code is that if we get it right in the planning stage, then we can relax and enjoy the cruise, feeling confident in ourselves. It's not a nice feeling to look around you and realise that you are wearing something different from others. I think the OP was correct to start this thread, seeing she'd been told something that surprised her. She came to the experts for advice.

OK this is of vital importance to some...
Hi balf,

The dress-code IS of vital importance to some.

Namely some of those who are taking their first-time-ever cruise or crossing. And those about to enjoy their very first Cunard vessel.

In order to "relax" they wish to get this "sorted" well before packing... then they can "relax" when on board...

I try to remember that not everyone who reads this forum has had the experience of being on a Cunard ship, or indeed, on any ship at all! They have nothing in their personal memory-bank to refer to, so ask those more experienced (such as yourself) for their views and opinions.

Personally, I can see nothing wrong with helping others by answering their questions. Perhaps you feel differently about that (I know some do). We were all Cunard "newbies" once...

Where I cannot help/have no experience/have forgotten (increasingly the latter :eek: ) I merely read the thread so I too can learn. Where the subject of the thread is no interest to me, or bores me rigid, I ignore it, something that many here do as well, I'm sure.

There are posters here who refer to the current Cunard words of wisdom on dress-codes, taken from the website.

Some prefer to relate their own observations and experiences. Of course, that means the "actual" on-board dress-code may appear to some to be more relaxed on a QE summer cruise in the Mediterranean, than the formality another passenger notes on a winter QM2 TA crossing.

Some here are all in favour of relaxing the dress-code further, for others, it is too relaxed already!

If you truly mean "although I would like a bit more relaxation on occasions" then I can only suggest exploring the many other cruising options that are open to all of us. I would hope that you wouldn't want to drag Cunard down to the level of the "fun ships"... :eek: .

The advice to ignore all threads/posts that one doesn't enjoy is, IMHO, sound advice.

All best wishes and happy sailings :) .

Now that is an interesting point. I always thought the object was to wear something different from others.

True - but not true! Something different might mean 30 years out of style (see photo). It's different but I could feel inappropriately dressed.

In terms of difference, if I could afford it I would get the general feel of what is appropriate and then add interpretation and drama.

fashions.jpg.0e4f5e5b9ae3dd41ba4dd7aef44a6f82.jpg

My husband and I will be taking a Cunard (12 day) cruise in the Black Sea. An agent from Cunard told us that there would be FOUR formal nights. She also said that cocktail dresses are no longer acceptable for formal nights, but full length evening dresses are appropriate. Could this be true? We've never sailed with Cunard before. We will be on the Queen Elizabeth.

You might want to find out if there is a theme for the formal nights. For example in my next crossing one evening is black and white and another royal Ascott.

Just as an aside, Whitemarsh, how do you post such wonderful photos? When I try, they all come out as thumbnails. I click on the paperclip icon and follow through on the new window that pops up. Should I be doing something different?

Hi balf,

If you truly mean "although I would like a bit more relaxation on occasions" then I can only suggest exploring the many other cruising options that are open to all of us. I would hope that you wouldn't want to drag Cunard down to the level of the "fun ships"... :eek: .

The advice to ignore all threads/posts that one doesn't enjoy is, IMHO, sound advice.

:) .

I doubt there are many here who cherry pick threads to read. We would miss out on trends, which though not of immediate interest to us, do let us keep up.

Concerning relaxation of the dress code, and let us be realistic here, we are talking about men: I don't ever recall seeing a lady turned away from the MD, yes I would like an occasional relaxation in suitable ares of the world and season.

I have sailed on many other lines as well as Cunard and some have slightly more relaxed codes that I like, without any problems. I have never sailed on any "fun" ships and it is really pushing reality to suggest a few evenings in hot climates where omitting the jacket would propel Cunard standards to Carnival level.

Thank you for your courtesy, no one on these boards gets savaged as much as a dress code refusenik.

David.

everyone knows an evening dress is just another way of saying long gown.

Even google thinks so, as i suggested before, just do a search for 'evening dress' (images) and take a look at all the long dresses/gowns that come up.

The op asked if it was true that women, have to wear evening dresses on formal nights. Everyone has told her no, that it's not a requirement. A couple of people referred to a long gown, which is just another way to describe an evening dress - they're the same thing.

No one (me included) on this thread has said that the op has to wear an evening dress or long gown (same thing) on formal nights. If you believe that someone has, please quote the post in which they said this.

If you cant find such a post would you mind explaining why you keep inferring that someone has.

On a personal note, may i say how refreshing it is that a straight man, such as yourself, takes such a strong interest in debating the minutiae of ladies fashion, as it pertains to the cunard dress code.

Here is the link to the dress code where under formal nights it has "evening or cocktail dress" for ladies.

As i've pointed out before, evening dress and long gown are interchangeable.

snap!!

Yes, they are acceptable on formal nights.

The outfit you're wearing looks like an evening dress to me. But it's hard to say because you're sitting down. I must say how lovely you look, so keep wearing it! :)

When I think of ball gown I think of something like this:

i-SfJxHGx-X3.jpg

this:

i-73zqHgm-L.jpg

or this.

i-HMBdJdv-L.jpg

Not seen anything quite so lavish on our Cunard voyages(Caribbean), but I'd love to.

OK this is of vital importance to some, whose whole evening and possibly cruise is ruined be the sight of a diner who does not comply fully with their interpretation of "the code". Thankfully there are many, ladies and gents who dress neatly and cleanly to dinner, with ladies who interpret, naturally, more liberally and gents like me who wear the jacket (without tie apparently nowadays) although I would like a bit more relaxation on occasions.

David.

In a world of Tuxedos, you(and Bazzaw) always seem to come off as a couple pairs of brown shoes! It's the formality of Cunard that draws most of us. We love that style & tradition of elegant nights & dressing properly for dinner.If you guys can't accept that, then do try Carnival/RCCl/NCL where terrible Hawaiian shirts & Flip Flops reign supreme

Not seen anything quite so lavish on our Cunard voyages(Caribbean), but I'd love to.

Unfortunately I have not seen such young and beautiful models crossing with the QM2. It would be interesting to see how those dresses look on the majority of Cunard clients, to which I belong.

In a world of Tuxedos, you(and Bazzaw) always seem to come off as a couple pairs of brown shoes! It's the formality of Cunard that draws most of us. We love that style & tradition of elegant nights & dressing properly for dinner.If you guys can't accept that, then do try Carnival/RCCl/NCL where terrible Hawaiian shirts & Flip Flops reign supreme

Have you ever sat in the Chart Room watching the diners on their way to dinner? Can you tell me you saw wall to wall elegance? It's a bit like expecting to see the models from the Cunard brochure actually on board. But then folk often only see what they want to see.

Incidently we agree on formal evening wear. My remarks and opinions are about casual and Cunard's interpretation.

I don't know if the term "brown shoes" is in the form of a mild insult, it is not one I have heard before, but boy, this and tipping really gets some people wound up.

I'll continue to choose my own cruises as always.

David.

David.

Unfortunately I have not seen such young and beautiful models crossing with the QM2.

I saw one on my last cruise on QV. A friend also heard her in the lift and Lido negotiating with one man the cost for an encounter or for a set of photos.

Unfortunately I think a lot of pax would be stepping on the edges of those gowns, thereby causing very varied results.

Have you ever sat in the Chart Room watching the diners on their way to dinner? Can you tell me you saw wall to wall elegance? It's a bit like expecting to see the models from the Cunard brochure actually on board. But then folk often only see what they want to see.

Incidently we agree on formal evening wear. My remarks and opinions are about casual and Cunard's interpretation.

I don't know if the term "brown shoes" is in the form of a mild insult, it is not one I have heard before, but boy, this and tipping really gets some people wound up.

I'll continue to choose my own cruises as always.

David.

David.

The brown shoes schtick was coined by George Gobel: "Have you ever entered a room full of Tuxedos & you were a pair of brown shoes?" Yes it is a bit of a humourous dig. I Understand the casual during the day. I can be found wearing shorts at that time, especially during excursions ashore. It's after 6PM I really follow the dresscode strictly.Also I've noticed wall to wall fine dressed in the Chartroom.True this is frequently after the first seating. True it's not all the time.

Sometimes I wear brown shoes - sometimes I don't.

3Queens1637Small_zps49dc3fce.jpg

I am sure that you love certain things -- it's just that you (and others like you) are always trying to force your ideas and loves upon others.

Personally, I couldn't care less what you or anybody else wears at the table with me - on a formal night or any other night. They will not spoil my enjoyment. I have cruised with Cunard in the past for obviously different reasons than you - but my reasons are no less valid than yours.

Barry

I'm sure the OP feels duly chastised. :rolleyes:

Why don't you ask the mods to create a sticky outlining the topics acceptable to you. That way, people would only discuss things that you find interesting.

Alternatively, you can just bypass any threads about topics you find unpalatable.

Very true, but since your post is out there ,one has the right to make a comment.

Cunard has explicit

dress codes on the daily Guide/newsletter for the passengers. anything else is HYPE:cool:

Sometimes I wear brown shoes - sometimes I don't.

3Queens1637Small_zps49dc3fce.jpg

I am sure that you love certain things -- it's just that you (and others like you) are always trying to force your ideas and loves upon others.

Personally, I couldn't care less what you or anybody else wears at the table with me - on a formal night or any other night. They will not spoil my enjoyment. I have cruised with Cunard in the past for obviously different reasons than you - but my reasons are no less valid than yours.

Barry

Well said!!!!!!!!:)

I think the sleeveless tops is the bit they're referring to when they have "for men" in brackets. I think the no sandals refers to both men and women. Sandals are generally the name given to this type of shoe.

i-Fmb69GD-M.jpg

Generally, the below type of shoe is referred to as a high heel, not a sandal.

i-TQR4drH-S.jpg

I don't understand this fashion show?:eek: I thought this is about Cunard line

Just as an aside, Whitemarsh, how do you post such wonderful photos? When I try, they all come out as thumbnails. I click on the paperclip icon and follow through on the new window that pops up. Should I be doing something different?

Thank you :)

This thread explains what to do.

You're currently uploading pictures as attachments. Whereas I'm including them within the post. First, you'll need to find somewhere to store your photos online, that also allows you to link back to them. Smugmug is pretty good.

Keith, this was directed at you (and me I'm guessing), however it should be obvious to anyone reading this thread that nothing of the sort occurred on this thread.

Nobody forced their ideas on anyone. The OP asked if it was true she had to wear an evening dress on formal nights, everyone who responded to her told that that wasn't the case, gave her the alternatives and posted the dress code as a guide.

Archived