Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

Possibly in days gone by. There are so many ways to afford " premium accommodations " nowadays that have nothing to do with " a sufficient level of success "

And I suspect there are passengers dining happily in the MD who could buy and sell many in the Grills.

David.

Surely that is a good thing? The alternative would be to have a true class system of have and have-not. I'd hate to think that the grills were full of my supposed betters who I had to touch my cap to every time they walked past.

Definitely one area where modernity has brought about improvement

Surely that is a good thing? The alternative would be to have a true class system of have and have-not. I'd hate to think that the grills were full of my supposed betters who I had to touch my cap to every time they walked past.

In the old system, the classes on board would have been segregated and if you were in tourist class you would not have come into contact with those in first or cabin class at all.

I might add that the most snobbish persons I have ever met on board the QM2 were not QG passengers, but in fact Britannia passengers when I dined one night in the Britannia Club with a group going early to the opera.

The Britannia passengers in question were talking amongst themselves and saying "Oh there must be some QG passengers here as they will be going to the opera too, so let's see if we can spot the QG passenger". Then they started trying to work our who was the QG passenger and passing all sorts of snide comments.

Not only did I feel uncomfortable, but I recognised another couple from QG also overhearing this conversation and they looked annoyed too, as did one of the waiters who glared at this group and said he regretted our exposure to such bad manners.

May I ask: what is the opera that was being performed?

I've never seen an opera on QM2. Some bits and pieces combined with theatrics, but never an opera. Thanks, -S.

We were a group going on an evening excursion to the Sydney Opera House to see an opera performed there, but Cunard had arranged an early dinner on board the ship in the Britannia Club prior to the opera.

We were a group going on an evening excursion to the Sydney Opera House to see an opera performed there, but Cunard had arranged an early dinner on board the ship in the Britannia Club prior to the opera.

Ah, I understand. Thanks. S.

Salacia

If you have an interest in Opera? - you may or may not know that it is becoming increasingly common for some ships on World Cruises to spend an overnight in Sydney -- whereupon one of the ship's shore tours is a night at the Sydney Opera house. One of your better baseball pitchers could probably throw a ball from a ship at the Circular Quay berth into the Opera House forecourt. I was on P&O Arcadia a couple of years ago and about 300 all went off to the Opera -- it had booked out very early in the cruise and we didn't know about it unfortunately until too late. I thought it would have been splendid to see all 300 dressed in Tuxes , etc strolling the forecourt -- but no, they all went off fairly casually -- which is the norm for the Sydney Opera House. I haven't been there for some time - but when I lived in Sydney, I went there all the time. I can't say I ever recalled seeing anybody "dressed up" there?

Right now I would love to see TOSCA which is currently playing - set in 1930's Fascist Italy. I do like it when they set some operas/Skakesperean dramas in more modern times -- 1930's Italy would be very appropriate for Tosca.

Barry

Yes I agree. The notion that higher standards are expected in the Grills, because by implication Grill passengers come from a class more used to formality and correct dress is basically wrong to me, and has no place in modern society.

There is also a theory that lower standards are expected for first sitting diners. I choose this because I can't sleep if I eat later (as most doctors would recommend)

There is still a trace of the them and us unfortunately.

David.

I might add that the most snobbish persons I have ever met on board the QM2 were not QG passengers, but in fact Britannia passengers when I dined one night in the Britannia Club with a group going early to the opera.

The Britannia passengers in question were talking amongst themselves and saying "Oh there must be some QG passengers here as they will be going to the opera too, so let's see if we can spot the QG passenger". Then they started trying to work our who was the QG passenger and passing all sorts of snide comments.

Not only did I feel uncomfortable, but I recognised another couple from QG also overhearing this conversation and they looked annoyed too, as did one of the waiters who glared at this group and said he regretted our exposure to such bad manners.

A couple of trips back I attended a Cruise Critic get-together. One member said loudly: "I don't want to meet any Grills passengers; I only want to meet the real people." Perhaps he was joking, but as we were travelling in Princess Grill I made sure not to say anything to anyone that might indicate that. Of course, there was no reason to do so unless in answer to a question about dining or stateroom. On a previous crossing someone asked about our restaurant and when I said we were in a Grill there were no snide comments at all. We have shared a table several times in the Grills with other people who, like us, are not "to the manor born" and consider an annual one-week splurge something worth saving up for.

A few weeks ago we took a one-week Norway cruise on the QE and noticed that formal nights were observed by almost all passengers. Although I wasn't looking closely, it appeared that 100% of the men in the Grills were in DJs. One night I went into the Britannia Restaurant to take some video with the string quartet playing and couldn't help but notice that almost all men were in DJs. There were a few casually dressed people in the Commodore Club even at 7:00 p.m. On informal nights a large number of men wore ties. It seemed that this cruise was even more formal than what we have observed on our annual crossings.

It's optional. :D

:) :) :)

Actually, there's a lot more interaction between Queens Grill & Britannia guests than you might otherwise imagine.

For example, selected Britannia guests (chosen for their charm and style) are given the honour of attending Queens Grill guests as they wake up.

i-7MCxjQL-X2.jpg

Actually, there's a lot more interaction between Queens Grill & Britannia guests than you might otherwise imagine.

For example, selected Britannia guests (chosen for their charm and style) are given the honour of attending Queens Grill guests as they wake up.

I've seen the upper level of a QM2 Q2... so that has to be the upper level of a Q1 ??? Very grand.

Still surprised they allow rowers to get that close to a Grill Bed... I take it there is a barrier rail just out of shot? (is the gaffer-tape on the floor anything to do with it... )

On the question of "snobbishness" on Cunard , I did think it was a little naughty of Cunard when they had one of the Captains Soirees in the Queens ballroom, on the QE, to pull the curtains around the balcony so the hoi poly could not see the "elite" cruisers imbibing etc.

On the question of "snobbishness" on Cunard , I did think it was a little naughty of Cunard when they had one of the Captains Soirees in the Queens ballroom, on the QE, to pull the curtains around the balcony so the hoi poly could not see the "elite" cruisers imbibing etc.
I agree, when I attended a very select little soiree on QE I suggested they open the curtains so that the lower orders could see the privileged classes enjoying their privileges :D . With the added bonus, that when said minions tried to gain admission to the party they had thereby discovered, they could be publically turned away (ala Mrs Bucket at the door of the Caronia Restaurant) to the utmost delight of those "creme-de-la-creme" attending :p . I don't why my suggestion was frowned upon ;) .

Wrong way round. Our delicate sensibilities cannot tolerate gazing upon hoi polloi.

Sir Martin

I've seen the upper level of a QM2 Q2... so that has to be the upper level of a Q1 ??? Very grand.

Still surprised they allow rowers to get that close to a Grill Bed... I take it there is a barrier rail just out of shot? (is the gaffer-tape on the floor anything to do with it... )

Yes there is a barrier. Platinum & Diamond CWC Britannia guests are allowed behind the barrier.

i-NBxRc6P-XL.jpg

I agree, when I attended a very select little soiree on QE I suggested they open the curtains so that the lower orders could see the privileged classes enjoying their privileges :D . With the added bonus, that when said minions tried to gain admission to the party they had thereby discovered, they could be publically turned away (ala Mrs Bucket at the door of the Caronia Restuarant) to the utmost delight of those "creme-de-la-creme" attending :p . I don't why my suggestion was frowned upon ;) .

The reason they close the curtains is for Healthy & Safety reasons. Britannia guests are prone to prostrating themselves when confronted by the sight of Grill guests in all their finery, so it was decided to remove the temptation altogether.

Sometimes it can be quite embarrassing for Grills guests to be confronted with scenes like the below, when really all that's required is a slight nod from the neck from gentlemen and a short curtsey from the ladies.

i-ssG9N2x-X3.jpg

Yes there is a barrier. Platinum & Diamond CWC Britannia guests are allowed behind the barrier.
Thank you, much clearer now. Just as it should be.
Sometimes it can be quite embarrassing for Grills guests to be confronted with scenes like the below, when really all that's required is a slight nod from the neck from gentlemen and a short curtsey from the ladies.

Really? I was told they had to turn, face the wall, and not move until their betters had passed ;) .

(I have to add the ";)" at the end in case some here... think I am being serious. I know, I know... :rolleyes: )

My husband and I will be taking a Cunard (12 day) cruise in the Black Sea. An agent from Cunard told us that there would be FOUR formal nights. She also said that cocktail dresses are no longer acceptable for formal nights, but full length evening dresses are appropriate. Could this be true? We've never sailed with Cunard before. We will be on the Queen Elizabeth.

"What will the dress code be whilst I am on board?"

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth). Evenings will be split into 2 different dress codes. You will be notified of the evening's dress code in your Daily Programme. As a guide, these will be:

Formal evening wear consists of an evening or cocktail dress or smart trouser suit for ladies, a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit for men or you may wear formal national dress or military uniform. Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentleman's formal wear is available to hire on board. Further details on this facility can be found by clicking here.

Informal evenings would consist of a required jacket and optional tie optional for gentlemen, whilst ladies should wear cocktail dresses, stylish separates or equivalent.

Please note that after 6pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women); sandals and sleeveless tops (for men) are not considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for their fellow guests.

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above

I'd hate to think that the grills were full of my supposed betters who I had to touch my cap to every time they walked past. ...
It's optional. :D
But "to whom I had to touch my cap" isn't. (Sorry for violating the "Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users" guideline, it's just something we touch-cappers can't resist.)

Hi We have just got back from transatlantic trip and the formal nights is fine with cocktail dress or long thats what my wife wore for all formal.

men on formal is black tie casual nights jacket is a must.

Have a suoer time we did

It says "evening or cocktail dress". An evening dress is generally considered to be a long dress/gown. Just do a google search on evening dress (images) and have a look at all the long gowns.

Because you take such a keen, and sustained, interest in the dress code I am surprised that you didn't know this.

Whitemarsh, I love your posts you always bring a smile to my face.

On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge bar, but should not use other areas within the ship

I am always slightly amused by this -- I am wondering how passengers who have dined in more casual dress in the Kings Court or Lido buffet can get to the Winter Garden or Garden Lounge -- without "using" other areas of the ship :) . Forbid that they should transit there on foot - and come under the gaze of the Fashion Police, much less be exposed to their ire. What a quandary!! :)

Barry

Archived