RCCL or Princess

bioengr

We're planning our first AK cruise in late June '14. We (2 early 50s adults + 2 young adult kids) have cruised twice before, both times (Caribbean and Europe) on RCCL. We enjoyed both but would like to try other lines at some point. Just not at the expense of a bad experience. We are going to do a Southbound itinerary, spending a few days on land prior to departure. I really like Princess Coral itinerary... particularly having both Hubbard and Glacier Bay. I totally get the comments about "choose the AK cruise by itinerary" but since an AK cruise is less about the ship activities, the stateroom quality and food become even more important. Should we try Princess for this AK trip or try another line on a future cruise?

I don't find anything special about Princess food. And all lines are pretty similar with cut backs on all of them over the years. If the cabin is what is going to be important then be sure to get information about them.

A "few" extra days, really is best going for as long as you can afford. Be award of distances and don't underestimate time.

Either of your cruise choices could offer you an excellent Alaska adventure. The more you know the better. Don't jump into a booking.

I can't really compare the cruiselines, but I can tell you that we took a Princess cruise to alaska last summer and really enjoyed it. Thought they did a nice job. Going to Glacier Bay is great, and they had a naturalist onboard who did a fantastic job telling us which animals to look out for and when to be sure to be on deck. I'd definitely be happy to cruise with them to Alaska again.

The Crown Princess is doing the same southbound itinerary so you may want to look at that too. Cruising both Hubbard and Glacier Bay - plus you get nice long port times :)

I have found RCI and Princess food, service and cabins to more similar than different to so pick the itinerary that you like best.

The Crown Princess is doing the same southbound itinerary so you may want to look at that too. Cruising both Hubbard and Glacier Bay - plus you get nice long port times :)

I have found RCI and Princess food, service and cabins to more similar than different to so pick the itinerary that you like best.

I would avoid the Crown Princess. When the ship has been in cooler climates, people (including myself) have found it quite crowded. The space ratio is far worse compared to the Coral and the Radiance and it doesn't have a covered pool. This would be the last choice for me in Alaska.

I have sailed both the Radiance and the Coral and much preferred the Coral Princess in Alaska. And the Coral Princess has one of the best itineraries in Alaska (both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier). RCCL doesn't have permits to GB.

I would avoid the Crown Princess. When the ship has been in cooler climates, people (including myself) have found it quite crowded. The space ratio is far worse compared to the Coral and the Radiance and it doesn't have a covered pool. This would be the last choice for me in Alaska.

I guess it is a matter of preference. Have sailed the Island, Golden and Sapphire in Alaska and we prefer the larger ships. Space ratio is a bit less but we never noticed it enough to not book the Crown. The covered pool on the Island is nice but we don't swim in Alaska so I guess that wasn't an issue but the loungers in there are nice :)

I also would advise against the Crown Princess. We sailed on the ship to Canada New England and it felt like we were in can of sardines. I can't imagine it in Alaska. Even if one doesn't use the covered pool, it is covered space for when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Archived