Advice on Ryndam: Roatan, Santo Tomas, Costa Maya and Key West

voyageur9

Planning HAL's 7-day cruise out of Tampa next winter with my 92-year-old, but fit and spy, father who had a great time last winter on HAL's 10-day partial Panama transit.

So, as there's a wealth of advice and experience on CC, I'm looking for ideas and/or recommendations for the port days. Shopping and sunning aren't on the agenda but nature, archeology, and anything a little off the beaten path appeals. I've looked over HAL's excursion offerings, some of which look good but any additional insights about those or others would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

In Santo Tomas we did the Quirigua Ruins, and thought it was very interesting. It consisted of mainly of many stela and zoomorphs, with just one small pyramid. The problem was that it was about 3.5 hours total on the bus for an hour at the site. The guide was very good, and on the ride back he showed a long video of a local dance group that he was somehow connected to (don't remember exactly how) so the ride back didn't seem as long as the ride out. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirigua

If you go outside early enough you can get a shuttle into town. Inexpensive. You can also rent a golf cart. Was $20.00 an hour Feb. /13. Also at the terminal there are dolphins you can watch or for $$ you can swim with them. Time was not long enough to visit ruins alone. Even with ship it would have been rushed.

Enjoy.

Costa Maya:

We did the shortest of the Mayan ruin excursions offered by the ship. Although not the most exciting ruins, they were still interesting and the guide was very good. Our ship had the excursion down as medium difficult, but the path was level and short. There were just a few steps if you wanted to go up to the pyramid platform. There was no access to the top of the pyramids.

Santo Tomas:

We bit the bullet and took the expensive excursion to Tikal. The hike from the entrance of the park to the ruins would have been long and fairly strenuous and was advertised as such. However, three people in our group were unable to walk that long. Our guide asked at the entrance whether we could drive in, and drive we did! I don't know, of course, whether this is done often.

Roatan:

We took an excursion to a park with monkeys that we were allowed to touch. Some walking in the park, nice.

Key West:

Walked in town.

Planning HAL's 7-day cruise out of Tampa next winter with my 92-year-old, but fit and spy, father who had a great time last winter on HAL's 10-day partial Panama transit.

So, as there's a wealth of advice and experience on CC, I'm looking for ideas and/or recommendations for the port days. Shopping and sunning aren't on the agenda but nature, archeology, and anything a little off the beaten path appeals. I've looked over HAL's excursion offerings, some of which look good but any additional insights about those or others would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Consider The Native Choice (private operator) to Chacchoben when in Costa Maya. They also have an add-on where you can go to a local home for lunch.

In Santo Tomas, we did the Go with Gus humanitarian tour. We were not overly-thrilled with it but it gets GREAT reviews from nearly everyone else. It is a nearly-full day trip up the Rio Dulce and you get to visit a local school and a private home that shows you how the people live. Also a trip through Livingston, where lunch was provided. A fair amount of walking in Livingston, so you MAY need to make special arrangements to stay with the boat, if your dad is not up to a big walk.

If we get back to Key West, we will be going to the cemetery to read the gravestones ;)

In Roatan we went kayaking and hiking outside West End. I'd go back again just to spend time in West End, where the 1960s meet the Caribbean :D Funky little town.

Just a brief but heartfelt note of thanks to George C, lorekauf, CowPrincess, Floridiana, bunnyrab, jtl153. Your suggestions are all warmly welcomed and I appreciate you taking the time to make them.

Cheers and thanks again.

In Key West we enjoyed the trolly ride - the dialogue on the trolly gave a lot of history and you see the whole island.

We also enjoyed Sloppy Joe's bar and the Pirate's Heart museum was good - interesting stuff but a lot of reading so small kids will get restless.

In Roatan we enjoyed an excursion to West Village with a semi-sub ride and stop at the Cameo factory.

Archived