FOS - recent experience bring water, cokes, etc and the naughty room

Went on the FOS cruise June 2. Have always checked a couple of cases of water with luggage tags attached and they showed up at the room. At the unloading station, the curb attendant stated that was not allowed any more - they have to be in suitcases, bags, etc. So we quickly loaded as many bottled waters into a duffle bag as we could and checked it. We also already had another duffle with caffeine free diet cokes which my wife needs (no caffiene). They never showed up at our room and got 2 seperate calls to go to the naughty room. For the one with water bottles, they told me the rule now was only 6 bottles (we had around 18) but they let me take it. Later, on the visit for the diet cokes them hemmed and hawed and finally let me take it after trying to convince me they are not allowed. So I am not sure what their policy currently is for bring water/soda's on the ship. Based on posts, it seems to vary from cruise to cruise and maybe from porter to porter.

The problem experienced was probably because of the large amount being brought aboard.

We were on the Freedom's May 19th sailing and carried a six pack of Sierra Mist onboard and two bottles of wine. All was in a carry-on suitcase. The next week we boarded the Enchantment with the same amount using the same method. Our suitcase was not opened or questioned during either boarding.

On longer cruises we put two six packs in a canvas zippered tote bag WITHOUT a lock and give it to the porters. It has always arrived.

Last three cruises (Allure May 2012, Adventure Dec 2012, Oasis May 2013) we checked a case of water bottles (24 bottles) and on the las two of those cruises Dec 2012 and May2013) we brought on our two bottles of wine in our checked luggage.

Water always has made it to cabin no problem. Wine made it to cabin no problem in December. This May on the Oasis, I had to go to the naughty room to retrieve.

I will continue to check a case of water, as it is too cumbersome to carry on. But I will start carrying on the wine, because their lack of consistency in how they enforce rules is a pain.

bobj

Archived