Seasickness?????Southbound Alaska July 20th Carnival Spirit

moldal13

Question for anyone out there.......I usually wear the TransDerm patch on cruises. I am terrified that I am going to have sea sickness trouble in the Alaskan waters on this cruise. We are going Southbound on the Spirit next month. Can anyone tell me how rough the waters are, or is it one of those things where it just depends on the weather?? Any advice will be helpful for this Queen of Queesyness!!! :p

MolDal

If all else fails, give those 'high fashion' wrist accu-pressure wrist bands a try. I bought some onboard. The Bonine hadn't quite conquered my queasiness, and they seemed to do the trick.

On the flight to our cruise I was wondering HOW in the world people could read on the plane, that would have made my minor airsickness uncontrollable. The return flight while wearing the bands? I read a book!

Thanks ! Maybe I should wear the patch and wristband on the first day! I'll be asleep in no time :) Never tried the wristband, but I think I will have one on hand just in case. Thanks again for the advice.

The southbound is said to be calmer than the northbound because the ship is going in the direction with the current. We did not notice any motion, but some tablemates did. They asked us if crossing the Pacific to Hawaii was worse than "this", and we told them we had noticed nothing. There is definitely some rocking and rolling when you cross open water such as the Pacific Ocean, but only a slight movement in Alaska.

This is not firsthand experience, but I have taken note just in case I ever need it: Some that do have motion sickness say that if you take the meclizine/bonine at bedtime, then you don't suffer from drowsiness since you are sleeping anyway. They also advised that if you are really afraid of being sick, take a tablet a few nights before boarding at bedtime. That way the meds are already in your system prior to departure.

I was on the June 8 sailing and was slightly seasick. The trip across the Gulf of Alaska was fairly rough. Our cabin was on the Empress deck in the middle of the ship. As long as I stayed there I was o.k. I made the mistake of going to the theater in the front of the ship to hear Michelle the naturalist. I barely made it back to the cabin. Only threw up once, but spent the rest of the day in the cabin. I didn't go to dinner that night (1st. formal night). I had taken no precautions however. No problems after that day.

We had very rough seas on my May 16th Southbound trip on the last sea day before Vancouver (the day before you disembark). Of all of my cruises, this was the worst day I have ever experienced at sea. There were many passengers and staff sick.

If you are prone, I would be prepared. I have cruised to Alaska 6x and this was the only time I have had a rough trip.

Hi,

I just returned from a south bound trip on the Sun Princess June 13-20.

We definitely had some rough seas with 4 ft. swells one evening although I didn't have a problem because I wore a patch the whole time and was happy to have it.

Many people on board were commmenting about the rolling athough I didn't see anyone that was actually sick. We went to a show at the Princess Lounge which is on the 5 (or was it 7th)floor and the back of the ship and you could really feel it back there.

I have 6 patches (completely sealed) that my doctor wrote a prescripton for that I didn't use. The expiration date is March 07, each one is good for 72 hours, & the instruction sheet included.

I have no further use for them if you are interested?

Toni

It is a myth that Alaska sailing is "smooth as glass". :) I have encountered several very rough sailing days in Alaska INCLUDING time in the Inside Passage, so it is NOT limited to just the Gulf. Bottom line, take precautions and there is NO way to predict the future, you are on the way, expect motion. :)

jaspertl

i know you mean well but it is not a good idea to offer prescription meds written for you to someone else. your physcian knows your medical condition and the interaction of this drug with any other meds you may be taking. that is why this medicine is not available over the counter but by prescription only.

• 2 weeks later...

Jaspertl or Moldel13 or anyone who has used the patch,

My Mom is going on her first cruise, south bound from Whittier. She gets seasick pretty easily. You have said you have used the patch and this would be the first time that she has used one.

What side-effects have you had? Did you get drowsy, dizzy or any other side-effects? She said that Bonine makes her too sleepy. We are going to have ginger pills, but I really want her to be able to enjoy this trip.

She has used the wrist bands with some success, but would like to have other choices too. She already has the patches in hand.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks, JAK

This will be our 7th cruise and I have used the patch every time. The 2 side effects I get are extreme dry mouth which is no big deal because that just helps me to drink plenty of water, and my vision gets a little blurry if I try to read small print up close. I normally have 20/20 vision so it's a little weird. But, I would rather deal with these small inconveniences rather than be motion sick. Nothing is worse than motion sickness!!:D My parents also wear the patch. DH doesn't, and I just don't know how he does it! I would be in puke city if I didn't have my patch :eek:

Archived