Impressions: Jewel of the Seas 6/8/13

When dining out, we all have different opinions regarding what makes a good meal. All of us have different tastes and preferences. But there is one food style that nearly everyone enjoys – comfort food, the way mom and/or grandma used to make it. It may not be the most expensive, the most unusual, or even the most flavorful. But if you’re of a certain age it nearly always leaves you feeling warm and satisfied, remembering the best that used to be. It’s food for the soul as well as the body.

Such was our recent cruise on Jewel of the Seas. She is far from the biggest, newest, glitziest kid on the block. She is not the least bit pretentious and in some respects she is showing her age. For all that, we leave her fully satisfied, fondly remembering the best that used to be.

The officers and crew are, collectively, the best we experienced in many years. Nearly every officer we passed offered at least a greeting and the (new) Staff Captain took the time to converse with us most mornings (we were on the same schedule at Latte-tudes). We had pleasant conversations about nothing in particular with a number of two stripe hotel officers, for no reason other than that we happened to meet in passing. The CD, Carly Boileau, was all over the ship, checking in with passengers seemingly at random. This personal touch along with the high energy, positive spirit that Carly and her staff always projected created a more positive vibe on Jewel than we’ve noted on other cruise lines, or even on RCI’s larger vessels.

This positive spirit was also evident in the crew. Maybe it’s just my imagination, but I think they were willing to go a little bit farther with fewer complaints than the crew on Allure, or many other ships. Our waiter, in fact, noted that DW has a smaller than average appetite and was able to adjust some of her portion sizes accordingly. That’s good for DW who dislikes wasting food and good for the cruise line because less is wasted. Yet, no one else ever made that adjustment. Our cabin attendant fulfilled our special requests without complaint and bar servers in both the Atrium and Schooner Bar had our drink order memorized by the second night.

Solid onboard music was a large part of our enjoyment. We were pleased and surprised by the number of music choices on a ship sailing a very port-intensive (five ports in seven days) itinerary. The highlight was the Zig Zag Band who brilliantly covered Janis, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, CCR, Led Zeppelin, and others from the 1960’s and 1970’s. Much fun, though the decibel level was a bit of a trial for my aging ears. There was also a pool band (mostly reggae), a Latin band, a pianist, a (separate) piano bar entertainer, and a classical guitarist. To cap it off, one night the RC Orchestra delivered the best Big Band sound we’ve ever heard at sea. And we make a special point of being at the ship’s orchestra sets on all of our cruises.

Of course, not all was rosy. While the cabin was clean and fresh, many public areas are definitely showing the wear and tear of nearly a decade at sea. Some of the panoramic windows seemed permanently fogged both in the Safari Club and Viking Crown. Bar tables were wobbly, with glass inserts in the tops that were loose. Chairs were worn. Several computer terminals were broken and WiFi was only available in certain parts of the ship. Cabins are still equipped with tiny, tube TV’s and there’s less to watch than on most other ships. Dining options are more limited than on other RCI ships and Royal’s current MDR menus are, IMO, uninspired (though I was very pleased to see rack of lamb back on the menu!).

Still and all, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves this cruise, unlike some of the others we’ve experienced. The service was great, the officer/crew upbeat attitude infectious, and the more personal touches that come with sailing a somewhat smaller ship much appreciated. A throwback to an earlier time, but a throwback that leaves you fondly remembering the best of the old days. Comfort food for experienced cruisers.

Postscript: Only after we returned home and were catching up on Cruise Critic did we learn that the previous Staff Captain on Jewel died unexpectedly on the ship three days before we embarked. A memorial service was held just one day before we embarked. There was no hint of this fresh “family” tragedy at any point during our cruise, even though some of the officers were doubtless still working through their shock and grief. In fact, nearly every interaction suggested that Jewel was a happier ship than most others on which we have traveled.

Unlike the military, corporations do not award meaningful decorations to their employees (although a few companies hand out some pretty worthless ones!). Still, for their conduct in the face of deep personal loss, the officers of Jewel of the Seas deserve a unit citation for conspicuous professionalism above and beyond the call of duty, reflecting the finest traditions of the hospitality industry.

We were on Jewel in 2007 and found the staff very helpful and polite. I agree that they seem to go above and beyond. I've heard many, many people comment on this fact.

We are sailing this September on a Southern. I'm a little disappointed to hear the ship is showing wear. Perhaps it's time for another dry dock.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to sailing on her again.

We just returned from the jewel on June 1. And yes the staff was fantastic. Never met anyone that did not say hello. And I talked to an officer as well. Saw him several times late in the afternoon in the concierge lounge drinking coffee. Very friendly.

Food is subjective but I will say that none in our group was too impressed with the dining room menu but I enjoyed the windjammer very much. It has been a long time since the food has been that good in there. We ate lunch there everyday and several dinners there as well and I enjoyed them all. Selection was great and the food was very good in our opinion.

Totally agree with you! We had been on Serenade a number of times and also have sailed Radiance, but in May we took our first Jewel cruise with a B2B repo out of Tampa. Loved the ship, the staff was fantastic. Had nothing but great things to say about Jewel other than Chops which we thought was horrid. Really liked Carly and her staff and with being there for 2 weeks, got to know a number of the crew and you are right. No matter when you walked by one of them, they always had a smile and a hi. Really enjoyed it.

We just returned from the jewel on June 1. And yes the staff was fantastic. Never met anyone that did not say hello. And I talked to an officer as well. Saw him several times late in the afternoon in the concierge lounge drinking coffee. Very friendly.

Food is subjective but I will say that none in our group was too impressed with the dining room menu but I enjoyed the windjammer very much. It has been a long time since the food has been that good in there. We ate lunch there everyday and several dinners there as well and I enjoyed them all. Selection was great and the food was very good in our opinion.

I plan to post my own review of this cruise soon.

Meanwhile, DW and I enjoyed MTD. We never made a reservation. We simply showed up. We got stuck behind a large party that was waiting on formal night. Otherwise we walked right in. Tables for two are on top of each other so in essence you are eating with other people.

The food was quite tasty. Of course, my picky eater was able to get meals prepared in a way she enjoyed.

As for Windjammer, it is the one thing we like better about our Carnival cruise was the better selection and quality of food at the Lido. The food in Windjammer was often cold. The omlette chefs didn't understand when I ordered an omlette for my wife and fried eggs for myself. I ended up with fried eggs with melted american on top.

We ate lunch several times in the Seaview Cafe which ran out of their fabulous panko onion rings on the first day. After that, they were serving the same batter dipped rings they serve in Chops. Food there was always hot and fresh.

As for the staff, I could not agree more whole-heartedly. Everyone was great, and I appreciated Carly saving me in from elimination in the first round of the sexiest man contest(now you all know who I am, right?)

I plan to post my own review of this cruise soon.

Meanwhile, DW and I enjoyed MTD. We never made a reservation. We simply showed up. We got stuck behind a large party that was waiting on formal night. Otherwise we walked right in. Tables for two are on top of each other so in essence you are eating with other people.

The food was quite tasty. Of course, my picky eater was able to get meals prepared in a way she enjoyed.

As for Windjammer, it is the one thing we like better about our Carnival cruise was the better selection and quality of food at the Lido. The food in Windjammer was often cold. The omlette chefs didn't understand when I ordered an omlette for my wife and fried eggs for myself. I ended up with fried eggs with melted american on top.

We ate lunch several times in the Seaview Cafe which ran out of their fabulous panko onion rings on the first day. After that, they were serving the same batter dipped rings they serve in Chops. Food there was always hot and fresh.

As for the staff, I could not agree more whole-heartedly. Everyone was great, and I appreciated Carly saving me in from elimination in the first round of the sexiest man contest(now you all know who I am, right?):D

Thanks for your great review. It's nice to hear about the positive staff. Personally, if I had to choose between a shiny new ship or friendly staff that go above and beyond, hands down I would choose the staff. Can't wait to sail her in October!

We were on Jewel in 2007 and found the staff very helpful and polite. I agree that they seem to go above and beyond. I've heard many, many people comment on this fact.

We are sailing this September on a Southern. I'm a little disappointed to hear the ship is showing wear. Perhaps it's time for another dry dock.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to sailing on her again.

We're going to be on the same sailing!

We were on Jewel in March and loved her. As others have said, the staff was among the friendliest and best ever experienced. We can't wait to see the ship and her staff again in September. I even emailed corporate about our cabin steward... he was just marvelous!

I also just returned from jewel on the June 1 sailing where the staff Captain passed. I found myself saying at the end that this was my favorite ship of all I've been on. The crew were above and beyond great. For me personally it was the always monotone Latin music and the locals on board that made the trip unenjoyable for me. The solarium was always filled will local kids from PR. But because they were 16 no one ever kicked them out. Yet they were always yelling, splashing, and making a scene. It was a shame.

I also just returned from jewel on the June 1 sailing where the staff Captain passed. I found myself saying at the end that this was my favorite ship of all I've been on. The crew were above and beyond great. For me personally it was the always monotone Latin music and the locals on board that made the trip unenjoyable for me. The solarium was always filled will local kids from PR. But because they were 16 no one ever kicked them out. Yet they were always yelling, splashing, and making a scene. It was a shame.

Thanks for the review! Not happy about kids in the solarium. I chose a cruise with an adult only area for the relaxation... oh well- I'll be on vacation right? This is first cruise with RC. Can anyone tell me about the entertainment? It's hard to pick restaurants not knowing what's going on at night! Dont want to miss anything.

Thanks for the review! Not happy about kids in the solarium. I chose a cruise with an adult only area for the relaxation... oh well- I'll be on vacation right? This is first cruise with RC. Can anyone tell me about the entertainment? It's hard to pick restaurants not knowing what's going on at night! Dont want to miss anything.

The solarium situation was sad. Not enough to ruin my cruise. But it was annoying. Security did come a few times but they would check their cards and leave them alone.

The only entertainment I actually watched was the comedy show. He name was Rodney. He was really funny.

I ate at chops and portofino. Both were great but chops was better. So if you have to miss a show to eat there do it. They are worth it.

UGH - this sounds about 36 months too late!

Be happy she's not going in for drydock until 2016 - she'll likely lose the Seaview Cafe, which is undeniably a treasure on the Jewel. It's the only one left on the 4 Radiance class ships.

OP (and others who have sailed recently), so glad you love this ship. We were just on the Jewel in May for the repo to San Juan and have also sailed the Baltics and a TA on her. She's special, and the crew really is tops.

Be happy she's not going in for drydock until 2016 - she'll likely lose the Seaview Cafe, which is undeniably a treasure on the Jewel. It's the only one left on the 4 Radiance class ships.

OP (and others who have sailed recently), so glad you love this ship. We were just on the Jewel in May for the repo to San Juan and have also sailed the Baltics and a TA on her. She's special, and the crew really is tops.

This is already confirmed. Seas view will be gone. I couldn't agree more about how wonderful of a place it really is. I just don't understand at all why their getting rid of it.

Thanks for the reveiw. We will be spending 2 weeks on her next month. We were on her before and the staff was amazing. I was very sick and the hotel manager kept checking on me everyday to make sure I was getting better.:D

Thanks everyone for your kind words. To answer a couple questions, our itinerary was St. Croix, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados.

Theater entertainment was Rodney Johnson (comedy), singers/dancers doing Broadway songs, Divas of Motown (vocal group), "Sideshow Bert" (juggling, magic, comedy), singers/dancers in "City of Dreams", Beatlemania Live, and Pampas Devil Gauchos (tango and other dance). We only saw a couple of these so I really can't comment on quality.

There were three bands on the ship. I already mentioned Zig Zag, who were great. The Latin band was called Latin Illusion; they were fine, but Latin music doesn't strike the same emotional chords for us as Rock and Roll from the '60s and '70s, the music of our youth. The pool band was called Rhythm Explosion -- mostly Reggae. My personal preference while cruising is Calypso (which is becoming hard to find these days), but these guys did a nice job in their genre.

Besides the bands there was a classical guitarist (quite good), a pianist, and a "piano entertainer".

We liked this cruise enough that we are now planning to do a Jewel B2B next March. The wonderful onboard vibe more than offsets the generally minor issues with the ship itself. Here's hoping the party band aboard at that time is as good as Zig Zag!!

Archived