Elation questions :-)

Hi there, we are cruising on carnival elation in October, and have a few questions about the ship etc.

1. How elegant is "elegant night" hubby is not happy with the whole tie thing, as they are uncomfortable for him, so wondering if a nice shirt, minus a tie & dockers would work okay for the MDR on that night?

2. We have purchased FTTF and curious what time to be a port.

3. We have heard at times you can feel quite a bit of movement on this ship, my husband has never sailed before but at one time we were both avid boaters and never experienced any sea sickness, so am wondering if the movement will effect him. Any body?

Thanks!!

No tie required these days

I would get to the port around 10:30 if you want to be one of the first to board

The motion on a ship is a lot different than that of a boat so it's hard to tell if sea sickness will be a problem or not. It has never effected me but has effected some friends of mine that are boaters. So my advice would be, be prepared with Dramamine or the little sea sick patches

Hi there, we are cruising on carnival elation in October, and have a few questions about the ship etc.

1. How elegant is "elegant night" hubby is not happy with the whole tie thing, as they are uncomfortable for him, so wondering if a nice shirt, minus a tie & dockers would work okay for the MDR on that night?

3. We have heard at times you can feel quite a bit of movement on this ship, my husband has never sailed before but at one time we were both avid boaters and never experienced any sea sickness, so am wondering if the movement will effect him. Any body?

Thanks!!

1) No tie or jacket required.

2) I don't think elation gets to port until about 8am, so maybe 10?

3) No way to know.

Lots of pictures and info from Carnival Elation from a couple of cruises:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1782205

and another one here:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838620

We went on the Elation last November. We saw everything from t-shirts to suits on elegant night in the dining room. My husband wore a suit and I wore a dress. We felt a little overdressed. It is a little more casual than the bigger ships.

I do not get seasick on the big ships. But, I did get a little sick only on the first sea day on the Elation. The Mississippi River has lots of twists and turns. It went away around noon on the first sea day. No problems after that.

I would get to the port around 10:30, so you have time to check in before they board (usually). Only twice this year have they already started to board my ship by 10:30. Unusual, but it happens.

10:30 should minimize wait time to me.

Thanks for the help everyone, will def be at port by 10:30am then, so looking forward to this cruise!! we are on the 5 nt cruise, 10/14/2013. Thanks again!!

I have the funtimes from June 1 Elation five night. If anyone wants them drop a line to cajunmac2 at yahoo . Com

Thanks!!

1-We elected ATD for this sailing, as we often do. The dress on 'elegant' was very relaxed. Very few suits, some ties...........mostly just nice shirts and slacks..........so DH would fit right in as you suggest.

2-As stated by others, we generally arrive in the 10:30 window as well, and NORMALLY are on board before 11:30. On our most recent sailing we were a little later starting the boarding process, but enjoyed lunch on Lido and when we went to our cabin, luggage had already been placed inside for us.

3-There is certainly more 'rolling on the river' than some folks expect. Due to the relatively sharp turns in the river's course, and the fact the ship 'rides high' while in the river........there can be some pretty substantial 'rolls'. Also, we have found that on the way back north from Mexico, you can often get into prevailing winds from the west, which tends to make for a pretty constant 'lean'. We've seen more folks struggle with sea sickness from the 'lean' than from rockin' and rollin'. We've always done one Bonine per day....since recovering from sea sick symptoms can take days.

ALSO, I have a complete set of FunTimes for 5 day sailings from our June 1 cruise.

If anyone would care for them, just drop an email to me at

cajunmac2 @ yahoo. com

I'll be happy to send.

(the scanned files are pretty large, so I have to send one day at a time)

In any case I hope you and DH have a super time.

ALSO, if you are looking for a special treat and enjoy a unique dining experience, we did the Chef's Table on Elation to celebrate our 37th anniversary. Chef Rao and his team were remarkable. It's certainly not inexpensive, but if you consider it a dining 'shore excursion', in that perspective, it is very competitively priced.

The only 'negative' is that it was held on the last night at sea...which would not have been my first choice.

DW was shocked and pleased.

And I was impressed.

Bon Voyage!!:D

My hubby and I will be on the Elation on 10/19 as well.

If you need any help with anything, please feel to contact me.

This will be our 3 or 4th time on the Elation.

Hubby wears nice polo and dockers and is good to go!!

He is on vacation, no ties!!

My hubby and I were on the Oct. 29th sailing last year.

My husband wore slacks, dress shirt, and dress shoes on elegant night while I wore a strapless silky maxi dress and heels. We didn't feel over dressed or under dressed. We were confident in what we wore.

We got to the port about 11 and we were on the ship, drink in hand by 1130.

We didn't feel a whole lot of movement on the ship, we didn't take any bonine or other medicines like that at all during the cruise, although I did make sure to pack them, we never had the need to use them!

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived