How much local cash in St. Petersburg?

:confused: We just used US Dollars. Has being able to do this changed? :confused:

US dollars are usually accepted everywhere. (well, maybe not in London :)).

When we went, I just didn't want to look like the image many foreigners have about Americans. They think that just because they have Dollars to spend, everyone will accept them. I wanted to be part of the experience of traveling in these countries and not want them to think I am too good to even try and use the local currency. A very many people have that view of Americans when we visit other countries.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Cheers

Len

US dollars are usually accepted everywhere. (well, maybe not in London :)).

When we went, I just didn't want to look like the image many foreigners have about Americans. They think that just because they have Dollars to spend, everyone will accept them. I wanted to be part of the experience of traveling in these countries and not want them to think I am too good to even try and use the local currency. A very many people have that view of Americans when we visit other countries.

Sorry for being so blunt.

Cheers

Len

I agree. Plus how many US businesses will accept things other than Dollars? I don't know that many except banks.

I agree with both Blonde and Len. I could see maybe some of these countries accepting Euro over USD but Blonde has a point if the situation is reversed, how many businesses operating in the US would take another Country's currency?

Dolfans from Miami

I agree. Plus how many US businesses will accept things other than Dollars? I don't know that many except banks.

Even most US banks won't exchange foreign currency if you aren't a customer. Can you imagine walking into a 7-11 in the US and trying to pay in Rubles?

Depends where you're using them. You can't use them everywhere. But if you're just buying from the tour sanctioned souvenir outlet, and the ones at the cruise terminal, you'll be able to.

Most of the places you visit on tour you're able to..even for buying beer at the restaurants where you have your lunch - they are more than happy to accept your dollars as it's not a large amount you're spending there..so still...the answer is: if you're on a tour you don't need local money in cash. Let alone the fact that you can pay with a credit card everywhere now

I agree. We took $50.00 worth of the local currency in each port to have for drinks/snacks/restroom. This worked out real well for us. Even though all the admission tickets, lunch and water was taken care of on our SPB tour with Alla, we felt having the local money was handy for a couple of beers at lunch, drinks/ice cream at the snack bar at Peterhof, a bathroom visit at Peter and Paul Fortress (what a mission that was!) and what was left over to the guide for the tip.

Dolfans from Miami

What countries charged for restrooms?

What countries charged for restrooms?

Germany.

Estonia and Netherlands (if you made a purchase at a shop then it was free in that shop). I don't know about St. Petersburg because I only used the washrooms at the musems, which were free. I don't remember Sweden or Denmark

• 2 weeks later...

First thing our tour guide did when we met him was suggest we go to the ATM in the port and get some rubles. There are small vendors and even some places where you might get food that do not take Dollars, Euros etc... We had already gotten some rubles from our bank so we wwere all set. At the end of our two days we used the leftover rubles as part fo the tip and added some dollars. The guides and drivers are happy to receive any currency you have.

• 3 weeks later...

There are plenty of currency exchange offices and banks filials, no need to worry about ways to get rubbles. I didn't have enough Rubbles with me and wanted to use credit card in a small boutique and was asked for a pin...:confused:.ooops. Better know now.

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Sonoma -- We cruised with you on the SA trip -- my all time favorite --Bought beach bags together in Punta Del Est.... hope you have fun on the Baltic adventure -- we will be on Celebrity Constellation 8/24....wave at us going by!! CTKay

Our only experience with difficulty using Euros or US$ was in the Church of the Spilled Blood. Members of our tour group wanted to purchase some hand painted icons from the older ladies in the church, and they could only purchase with Russian currency. They purchased some at the cruise terminal and we returned the next day,

Marilyn

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived