What is "Smart Casual" ?

After just finishing my company's policy on "business casual", I suspect what it really means is no t-shirts, no tanktops, no sweatshirts or pants, no halters, no jeans, no shorts, no athletic shoes, and no flip flops/cheap sandals. For example, men should generally wear shirts with collars, button-downs or knits, well-tailored and pressed slacks, and leather-soled shoes.

What I learned is after businesses (and cruise lines) shifted from formal to casual, a certain percentage of employees (and cruise passengers) either abused the policy change or over-compensated by dressing TOO casual. Thus the terms "business casual" and "smart casual".

After just finishing my company's policy on "business casual", I suspect what it really means is no t-shirts, no tanktops, no sweatshirts or pants, no halters, no jeans, no shorts, no athletic shoes, and no flip flops/cheap sandals. For example, men should generally wear shirts with collars, button-downs or knits, well-tailored and pressed slacks, and leather-soled shoes.

A lot of CCers would say that what you described is what you should wear on a normal casual night. While I think if your outfit is tastefully put together, you shouldn't have a lot to worry about, the website does suggest jackets and ties for men on smart casual nights, and pantsuits or dresses for women. A bit more formal than what you posted.

Some of the ships/itinerarys do not have smart casual nights anymore even though they are 7 night cruises and according to the website would have one. You might ask about the specific ship to find out. No need packing a jacket if you won't need one considering the weight limits on luggage now.

I can only answer from the male side. Smart Casual on RCI is dead. When it was alive jackets and ties were the suggested dress. You know it is dead when your choice is Smart Casual OR 50s, 60s, attire...as it was on Voyager in Mar. Less than 5% wore a jacket and tie, perhaps 5% had jacket only. Very few care about Smart Casual...not that big a deal any longer.

Bobbeasea is correct, there are only formal nights or casual nights on RCI. Even tho they still show "smart casual' on some ships, hardly anyone wears jackets, let alone jackets and ties. It's been that way for at least our last 4 cruises.

I have a tux for formal nights and generally wear a guyaberra shirt for smart casual. The rest of the time is a polo/golf shirt.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal, one smart casual and three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

When we were on the Grandeur in Feb. It was 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual and 4 casual. On smart casual night,my husband wore a collared shirt and khaki pants, and I wore a skirt and top.

Smart casual is supposed to be in between casual and formal...a semi-formal....however....No smart casual on Explorer for 7 night cruise!

we are going on explorer aug 21...so is there just 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights?

thanks,

gina

Gina - That's pretty much right. It's interesting when RCI's website is quoted, but the persons actual experience is not added.

We've been on 23 cruises, 17 with RCI. Smart casual is a thing of the past. Haven't taken a jacket or tie for the last three years with them. Still take and wear a tux on formal nights.

Archived