Shark Dive in Roatan?

midnights911

I'm looking to try and book a shark dive in Roatan. Has anyone done this from a cruise ship? Good experiences or bad? Recommendations?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's probably with Anthony's Key resort. I snorkeled with them and I can testify they are a first class operation.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/diving/boat-diving.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303874-d309950-Reviews-Anthony_s_Key_Resort-Sandy_Bay_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

We weren't cruising, but staying in Roatan and we used a place called Waihuka Dive Centre (just looked at the Tshirt to be sure). Done it twice and both times were phenomenal dives. We were allowed to swim with them and not just watch like other shark dives we have done.

• 2 months later...
I'm looking to try and book a shark dive in Roatan. Has anyone done this from a cruise ship? Good experiences or bad? Recommendations?

Below is a link to an operator I heard great things about and have booked with twice. Unfortunately, I came down with colds both times and had to cancel my dives with them.

The link is to their shark diving page.

http://www.bananaramadive.com/dive-center/diving-prices/shark-dive.html

We weren't cruising, but staying in Roatan and we used a place called Waihuka Dive Centre (just looked at the Tshirt to be sure). Done it twice and both times were phenomenal dives. We were allowed to swim with them and not just watch like other shark dives we have done.

dd was a summer intern at CocoView this summer and did the shark dive with Waihuka - CV refers customers there for the shark dive

She gave it thumbs up

there is a promotional video and write up at

http://www.cocoviewresort.com/shark-diving.php

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thought I'd tag on to this thread. We were suppose to do the shark dive in 2005 and it was cancelled by NCL due to us being the only ones signed up (much to my relief)...

He really wants to do it (once in a lifetime thing), I'm really scared about it. I read reviews about Waihuka Dive Centre and hear their "service" is horrible. Thinking about trying Bananarama instead.

My fears aren't just the sharks, I also read the current and waves can be bad on the south side and one needs to be really comfortable. Since I haven't been in the water since last Oct., not sure I want to do my first dive out this way. HELP!

I'm OW certified and dive once a year and have about 40-50 dives from Cozumel's wall dives to one sunken ship in Aruba last year. Yeah, I know, don't have the ship cert, but didn't go in, just around.

We've used Waihuka twice and had no problems with the guys there, you watch a video and then get on the boat. Never used the other operator. I can only speak for my comfort level, but if you've done drift in Cozumel you should be fine. We went down on a line and the dive site was partially sheltered so no real current. If you have a chance, I would encourage you to go for it! It's a memorable experience!

• 1 month later...

Unless things have changed since I've been last, Waihuka is the only dive operation that do the shark dive- all the other dive shops use them when they book the shark dives- if you are considering using anyone else ask them if they actually do the shark dive or if they use Waihuka!

My husband loved this dive- got lots of amazing pictures and was very happy with them.

Edited by Roatanfans