Cruise Rituals do you have any??

Chucksta63

Boy do I have rituals!

Always drive or fly in at least one day before.

Get to the ship early and while driving playing Sheryl Crowe's "I Want to Soak Up the Sun" as we see the ship in the distance.

Bring a carry on and get into our swimsuits and hang out in the hot tub and the pool with a drink, and say to each other..this is the best part of the cruise, we haven't left yet and we have 7 glorious days to look forward to.

Go back to our room and pop open the bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries we pre-ordered before arriving..and toast to it being the best part of the cruise,we haven't left yet and have seven glorious days to look forward to and promising each other we will savor each moment!

Only three more weeks till we are on the Mariner!!! 8/14/05!!!!:D :D :D

Sounds Great!

On our last cruise two years ago, I surprised my husband with a little "pillow" gift every night. Just something small. The first night it was a great new paperback novel for him to read on the cruise. Chocolates, small cologne,etc. Can't remember the rest. You can buy things in ports, too. I will probably do the same thing on our Paul Gauguin cruise in October. :)

Wow, you guys have given me some really great ideas. I am cruising with my folks and will be using the "pillow gift" idea ... I also like the idea of sending home postcards as a journal ... My parents are not champagne drinkers, but the strawberries sound like a nice touch ...

Thanks so much for all of the ideas and rituals ...

Candy

Read as many Cruise Critic Message Boards as possible.

Try to find others on my cruise so we can meet for a champagne toast to the cruise.

Read about the locations to be visited

Make as many lists as possible.

Start to buy travel sized items, a little at a time, and 2 gallon zip lock bags, spot remover, wrinkle release, rain ponchos, etc.

Save change in big jar to cash in and use to gamble with

Lose weight (so far 20 lbs!)

try on clothes

Alter clothes!

Get hair cut 2 or 3 weeks before cruise

Manicure and pedicure as soon before the cruise as possible.

Refill all my prescriptions

Find good books to read

Charge camera batteriesGet on ship as soon as possible, get drinks and stand uptop to watch as we leave the port.

THINK ABOUT NEXT CRUISE!

Read as many Cruise Critic Message Boards as possible.

Try to find others on my cruise so we can meet for a champagne toast to the cruise.

Read about the locations to be visited

Make as many lists as possible.

Start to buy travel sized items, a little at a time, and 2 gallon zip lock bags, spot remover, wrinkle release, rain ponchos, etc.

Save change in big jar to cash in and use to gamble with

Lose weight (so far 20 lbs!)

try on clothes

Alter clothes!

Get hair cut 2 or 3 weeks before cruise

Manicure and pedicure as soon before the cruise as possible.

Refill all my prescriptions

Find good books to read

Charge camera batteriesGet on ship as soon as possible, get drinks and stand uptop to watch as we leave the port.

THINK ABOUT NEXT CRUISE!

Great tips Mahreeya!!!

On our last cruise two years ago, I surprised my husband with a little "pillow" gift every night. Just something small. The first night it was a great new paperback novel for him to read on the cruise. Chocolates, small cologne,etc. Can't remember the rest. You can buy things in ports, too. I will probably do the same thing on our Paul Gauguin cruise in October. :)

I have a friend who just turned 90 years old last week. Unfortunately, the true love of her life, to whom she was married for 60 years, died a few years ago.

When they first married, they did not have a lot of money. But he gave her a "Friday gift" every Friday for the entire time they were married. It may have been a single rose he plucked while walking home from work, it might have been a delicious piece of chocolate, or it might have been a diamond ring or tickets for a cruise.

She is truly a wonderful woman.....and I believe her when she said she was as excited about getting the piece of chocolate as she was to get cruise tickets!

Ahhhh.....true love!

What a lovely story. It IS just the thought and not the value of the gift that matters. My husband was very surprised and touched by his gifts. I had lots of fun picking them out. The most unexpected things are the best.

I have a friend who just turned 90 years old last week. Unfortunately, the true love of her life, to whom she was married for 60 years, died a few years ago.

When they first married, they did not have a lot of money. But he gave her a "Friday gift" every Friday for the entire time they were married. It may have been a single rose he plucked while walking home from work, it might have been a delicious piece of chocolate, or it might have been a diamond ring or tickets for a cruise.

She is truly a wonderful woman.....and I believe her when she said she was as excited about getting the piece of chocolate as she was to get cruise tickets!

Ahhhh.....true love!

That is the sweetest story!

Laura, I wish you were going on my cruise. We have a lot in common. I started a change jar, emptying out my husbands pockets while he wasn't looking. I started a change jar at work, too. Now I am throwing in dollar bills. I am going to gamble with this money!

My mom passed away a week ago today, I am grieving very badly. Thank heavens I have the cruise to look forward to. I want to buy little things to leave on my husband's and niece's pillow on the cruise. What should I get? This will keep my mind occupied.

Mahreeya

So sorry that you lost your mother last week. My mother died last Oct. and it still is hard at times. I miss her very much.

A cruise will be perfect for you. You can be as busy as you like or you can find quiet corners to reflect. Do some of each.

Pillow gifts---I look for little things while out doing shopping. Paperbacks, chocolates, those little bottles of a special liquor, a pair of cute boxers for hubby. Girls are easier---tiny travel size colonges, lip gloss, favorite magazine,

small sunscreen on a lanyard, etc. You can always pick up little things on the ship or port for those last night's pillow gift. Have fun! Now you have me excited about getting the gifts for our Oct. cruise to Tahiti.

Lynne

My ritual is to get dressed very leisurely for dinner and head to the Champagne or Martini bar an hour before dinner. I enjoy a glass of wine, some great people watching and nice conversation.

I have been doing this for years now and look forward to it every evening!

Mahreeya

So sorry that you lost your mother last week. My mother died last Oct. and it still is hard at times. I miss her very much.

A cruise will be perfect for you. You can be as busy as you like or you can find quiet corners to reflect. Do some of each.

Pillow gifts---I look for little things while out doing shopping. Paperbacks, chocolates, those little bottles of a special liquor, a pair of cute boxers for hubby. Girls are easier---tiny travel size colonges, lip gloss, favorite magazine,

small sunscreen on a lanyard, etc. You can always pick up little things on the ship or port for those last night's pillow gift. Have fun! Now you have me excited about getting the gifts for our Oct. cruise to Tahiti.

Lynne

Thanks for the ideas! I was so clueless. Shopping for bargains and ideas is my favorite pastimes. Yours are so helpful! I love the underwear idea.

My ritual is to get dressed very leisurely for dinner and head to the Champagne or Martini bar an hour before dinner. I enjoy a glass of wine, some great people watching and nice conversation.

I have been doing this for years now and look forward to it every evening!

Now this is something I have not tried!!! Getting ready early.. I like it!!!! I bet it is relaxing!!!

I am very happily gathering the little gifts. I am not sure if DH will appreciate it. Wish he would do it for me. (today is my birthday). Anyhoo, when do you put the gifts on the pillow? Do you ask room service to do it? Or maybe on the pillow and under the cover? Hmmm.

I am very happily gathering the little gifts. I am not sure if DH will appreciate it. Wish he would do it for me. (today is my birthday). Anyhoo, when do you put the gifts on the pillow? Do you ask room service to do it? Or maybe on the pillow and under the cover? Hmmm.

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday to you

Happy Birthday dear mahreeya

Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuu!

Smooth sailing :D

Happy Belated Birthday!

It would be wonderful for husbands to actually come up with a surprise like that!(I'm sure some do). We would melt!!;)

As to when to put it on the pillow...I usually waited until we were back in the cabin for the night. When my husband made that last trip into the bathroom, I'd sneak out the gift on put it on his pillow. If your niece is in another room, I bet the room steward would help out. Good luck!

Lynne

Laura, I wish you were going on my cruise. We have a lot in common. I started a change jar, emptying out my husbands pockets while he wasn't looking. I started a change jar at work, too. Now I am throwing in dollar bills. I am going to gamble with this money!

My mom passed away a week ago today, I am grieving very badly. Thank heavens I have the cruise to look forward to. I want to buy little things to leave on my husband's and niece's pillow on the cruise. What should I get? This will keep my mind occupied.

Mahreeya,

So very sorry to hear about your mother. Take time for yourself during this difficult time.

Laura

My condolences on the loss of your mother. My mother will be 94 years old next month and still lives alone and doing well. She was my cruise partner for many years but after my B-day cruise in May she decided to "retire" from cruising (after almost 50 cruises!). Happy (belated) Birthday and have a fabulous cruise !!

Hey that is cool!!!!!!! I could do that a little nick-nack in each port to remember it by.. My DW loves to collects charms for her bracelet!!! I bet she would like a charm from each port!!!!! or from something my DS and I did when we do our own excrusions!! We went scuba diving last time and we are going to do it again so I'll get her a little scuba guy...LOL;)

Archived