Is Carnival Magic going to be luxurious enough for me?

mamasylvia

Thanks so much for all your comments - you confirmed what I had suspected. We have family in Houston, so cruising out of Galveston would have let us combine a family visit, but Carnival is the only line there in July (our anniversary) so I'm looking at other ports now.

You can see menus at Zydecocruiser's website, but pictures tell the true story and they are all over this forum. If I see one more photo of someone's "awesome" steak with a greasy-looking breaded onion ring on top, I'm going to retch.

:)The last CCL I was on in the Carib there was about 20 brits on board, they seated us in an area together.The most common comment was that the food was just a bit better than NHS hospital food.

Check this out OTA, http://www.apetito.co.uk/Global/PPC%20Landing%20Pages/Hospital%20Food%20Landing/apetito-Carte-Choix-brochureLP.pdf

Thanks so much for all your comments - you confirmed what I had suspected. We have family in Houston, so cruising out of Galveston would have let us combine a family visit, but Carnival is the only line there in July (our anniversary) so I'm looking at other ports now.

I guess the DC ship must be doing Alaska instead of Galveston right now? That's too bad timing wise because the have specials they are advertising but I guess they start in Sept.

How far is NO LA from there? Maybe some options for that?

Well we hope whatever you decide, it is your perfect 25th and congrats!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately you will not find Gourmet food on Carnival...mainly because you are not paying a "gourmet" price.

So to answer your question...no, you will not be happy with the Magic.

I will add that I have a friend who has worked for the Mouse for some 20 years and sailed Disney, Carnival and NCL many many many times...he told me that there have been cruises where the food itself (not the presentation) on Carnival was better than Disney.

So don't expect the Disney cruise to have better food just because it is 4 times the price.

I googled gourmet meals, and as I assume small amount of food on a big plate with some kind of ring around it. I am a good to above average cook and most of the meals are of solid banquet quality. You will get mixed in some great entrees, along with some so-so ones. A good and well prepared cut of steak to three, maybe two steps above cardboard, to which you can send back. Preparing gourmet for thousands of people, with best cut of meat and attention to detail, unlikely on any ship at reasonable price.

For anniversary I would go Princess but I hated the food, too bland and saucy. Frenchy!

Unfortunately you will not find Gourmet food on Carnival...mainly because you are not paying a "gourmet" price.

So to answer your question...no, you will not be happy with the Magic.

I will add that I have a friend who has worked for the Mouse for some 20 years and sailed Disney, Carnival and NCL many many many times...he told me that there have been cruises where the food itself (not the presentation) on Carnival was better than Disney.

So don't expect the Disney cruise to have better food just because it is 4 times the price.

And don't expect DCL to always be 4 times the price either.:)

Carnival Conquest from Galveston

Oct 6 - 13, 2013

IS $444

OV $589

BLC $679

Oct 27 - Nov 3, 2013

IS $434

OV $579

BLC $659

Nov 17 - 24, 2013

IS $429

OV $499

BLC $659

Dec 1 - 8, 2013

IS $454

OV $519

BLC $649

Disney Wonder from Galveston

Oct 5 - 12, 2013

$699 $749 $899

Oct 19 - 26, 2013

$699 $749 $899

Nov 2 - 9, 2013

$699 $749 $899

Nov 16 - 23, 2013

$699 $749 $899

Nov 30 - Dec 7, 2013

$699 $749 $899

Not even double from Galveston.

Bill

And don't expect DCL to always be 4 times the price either.:)

Carnival Conquest from Galveston

Oct 6 - 13, 2013

IS $444

OV $589

BLC $679

Bill

UMM - Conquest does not sail from Galveston and hasn't since we got the Magic.

I doubt the Magic will be up to the OP's standards. They should look at Celebrity, particularly if they are into the food.

We've been on the Magic twice and are going again in 6 weeks. There are no padded loungers, except on Serenity. The MDR food is OK. Perhaps the OP will have to pay to eat in Prime every night to get food that passes muster.

UMM - Conquest does not sail from Galveston and hasn't since we got the Magic.

I doubt the Magic will be up to the OP's standards. They should look at Celebrity, particularly if they are into the food.

We've been on the Magic twice and are going again in 6 weeks. There are no padded loungers, except on Serenity. The MDR food is OK. Perhaps the OP will have to pay to eat in Prime every night to get food that passes muster.

Thank you for the correction. I had CCL Magic on the browser but my brain just remembered the Conquest for some reason.

The prices i listed for the Conquest are for the CCL Magic cruising from Galveston.

Bill

Archived