Things to do near Orlando airport and port canaveral

kdn hawaii

We are flying into Orlando at 5 am the day of our Bahamas cruise and are renting a car to drive to the port. Any suggestions as to things we could do while we are waiting to embark? We have a 13 month old. Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Florida Mall is near the airport also an air boat ride might be fun- they have them fairly close as well but not sure if there's an age restriction. I live in the area and we usually leave home around 10-1030 to get to the pier early.... Unfortunately there's not a lot to do between 5a-11a. If you don't mind getting to the boat a little later, Gatorland is close, campy old FL fun. You could drive out to the coast and beach it for a couple of hours as well depending on the weather. Have a great cruise!

Probably one of the few things you can do to kill time in the immediate area of the airport is to drive to Downtown Disney. It is a great place to walk around if you've never been there, lots of stores, restaurants and beautiful location on a lake. They have a carousel on property and a Lego store not to mention a Ghirardelli ice cream store. I'm a breakfast person so I'd probably go to Golden Corral for a hearty breakfast before I drive over to the Port.

If you drive to Cocoa Beach after you pick up your rental car, find a breakfast place over there. As another poster mentioned, Ron Jon Surf Shop is an attraction unto itself.

You really don't have that much time to kill...by the time you exit the plane, pick up your luggage, get to your rental car, and drive to Cocoa Beach. There is nothing at the Port to do but the surrounding area has tons of restaurants, stores, public beaches.

Probably one of the few things you can do to kill time in the immediate area of the airport is to drive to Downtown Disney. It is a great place to walk around if you've never been there, lots of stores, restaurants and beautiful location on a lake. They have a carousel on property and a Lego store not to mention a Ghirardelli ice cream store. I'm a breakfast person so I'd probably go to Golden Corral for a hearty breakfast before I drive over to the Port.

I was thinking about Downtown disney as well - it's so much fun to walk around - if you decide to do that park at the Marketplace side - close to the TRex cafe (not westside) that's were most of the family stuff is, carousel etc. Gosh, depending on $$ you could even book a Character breakfast at Contemporary at Chef Mickey's. Disney is the opposite direction of the port but not too far out of the way. If it was me, I'd beach it I think and find someplace to eat on the water and that's from a Florida resident - can never get enough ocean!

We are flying into Orlando at 5 am the day of our Bahamas cruise and are renting a car to drive to the port. Any suggestions as to things we could do while we are waiting to embark? We have a 13 month old. Thank you!

By the time you get your bags, pick up your rental car and drive to the port, it will almost be time to board.

I would just eat breakfast in Cocoa Beach and then head to the port

If you want breakfast and a look at Disney, I would recommend The Wave restaurant at the Contemporary Hotel. It's a buffet and it is absolutely delicious and then you could wander around the hotel. Just make sure that you tell the parking attendant on the way into Disney that you are going for breakfast, no parking fee. Ride the monorail to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. A nice way to kill some time.

Orlando airport itself is really neat. Lots of little Disney themed stuff/stores and Seaworld and Harry Potter (Universal)...a 13 month old would love walking/strolling around...lots of stimulation for a child that age.

Grab breakfast there and don't take any chances on traffic by veering off to see the sites in the area. Stroll around the airport shops.

A group on my cruise this past Jan got stuck on that highway that leads from Orlando to port because of a car accident. You don't have many alternatives to go another way. They missed the boat. It's not worth it. You can have fun at the airport :-)

If you want breakfast and a look at Disney, I would recommend The Wave restaurant at the Contemporary Hotel. It's a buffet and it is absolutely delicious and then you could wander around the hotel. Just make sure that you tell the parking attendant on the way into Disney that you are going for breakfast, no parking fee. Ride the monorail to Magic Kingdom and EPCOT. A nice way to kill some time.

NOOOO. There's better.

Actually, very good idea. Dowtown Disney is good as well, however, it doesn't open until 10:00 am.

What you really want to do is go to the Kona Cafe at the Polynesian. It's on the monorail as well but with a good, quick and cheap (only by Disney standards) breakfast and won't bog you down thereby making you get to the ship too late. http://allears.net/menu/menu_kcb.htm

Edit to add: Chef Mickey's at Contemporary is also a good option.

Nothing's really open before 9 or 10 AM. I agree with others that the best option would be to take your time, get your car and head over to the coast. Choose a place to get a nice breakfast there - don't waste your money on over-priced airport food. At least that way you'll be close to the ship and won't have to worry about getting to it on time. And if you're super hungry when you get off the plane, there are numerous places to eat just outside the airport property. Trying to cram to much in will just make everyone tired, nervous and cranky.

Another vote for the airport! MCO is a beautiful airport. The terminal is actually an award winner! Many of the shops are open quite early in the morning.There are plenty of shops from the various theme parks, and a very good variety of both quick service and sit down restaurants. It's easy to spend an hour or two just walking around. It's very much like a mall. Plus, it's free and in the way! The journey is to the port is about an hour to an hour and a half. So if you hang around the airport til 8 or 9 you'll arrive at the port just in time!

I'm looking at it this way.

Arrival: 5am

Retreive luggage 30 min

Get rental car 30-45 min

Approximate time of leaving airport. 6:00-6:30

Drive from MCO to Port Canaveral approximately 1 hr

Best case situation: Approximate time of arriving at Port Canaveral 7:00 - 7:30

You have from 7:30-10:00 to return your rental if you want to be at the terminal by 11:00 (which I want to do). So, all that being said, if you want to be in the terminal by 11 you really only have 2.5 hrs.

Here is my suggestion. Go to Grills, right there at the port. Eat a leisurly (sp) breakfast, their breakfast is very good. After breakfast, go to Ron Jon's for a while until you are ready to return your rental. About 10, return the rental. Provided they have a shuttle, you should be at the terminal by 11 at the very latest.

You are going on a vacation and you are going to be tired from your early flight. I would not want to rush a bunch of things to do that morning, RUSHED being the key word here.

Have a GREAT TIME!!!

Tim

Archived