NCL set up my CC "Get-Together within 24 hours!

dongordon

Hi Royalco,

Welcome to the 8/14 cruise! Please join our roll call from the link that Shoreguy gave you. (Thanks Shoreguy! You are all over these boards! Your help on these boards is invaluable!)

We have a CC group of 45 so far. Let me know how many will be traveling with you.

Hi Teefleur,

When we had our Meet 'n' Greet, I told NCL initially that there would be about 10 people. I later revised it to tell them about 20 people, however, only about 12 showed up. They did not provide any snacks or anything other than the room. They also had the hotel manager and cruise director there to speak with us. I don't know if there were more people to be there if any food/drinks would be provided. I think I read that some other ship provided those for their meeting. I was just happy that they gave us a room to use.

Katie

Thanks for the reply, Katie!

We have been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and they have embraced the Cruise Critic parties whole heartedly! They ususally host the party on the first sea day - times will vary. They have it in the Viking Crown Lounge with cold Hors d'Oeuvres and punch or juice. The bar is open but you pay for alcoholic drinks.

Usually the Cruise Director and one or two other staff members come and give a welcoming talk. They sometimes give out cruise line door magnets, lanyards and/or document holders. Very nice get-together and it is so nice to put faces with names from the CC board! :D

Another thing some of the CC members started doing for the hosted party, is having a "souvenir exchange," kind of like the old "white elephant" party. Anyone who wants to participate brings an inexpensive souvenir representative of his/her area of the world and places it on a table and then is given a number. When everyone is assembled and all gifts are on the table, the numbers are drawn one at a time. When a person's number is drawn, he/she may choose an unopened gift OR a gift someone has already selected and opened.

It has been a lot of fun and a real ice-breaker - plus you end up with some really neat stuff from other areas you might not ever get otherwise.

We have a long way to go until our cruise, so I guess I'll just wait and see how many show up on the board.

One other thing, it seems when you have folks interested in having a souvenir exchange, it makes them more interested in attending the party. And - well - you know - the more, the merrier! :D

Thanks for the reply, Katie!

We have been on several Royal Caribbean cruises and they have embraced the Cruise Critic parties whole heartedly! They ususally host the party on the first sea day - times will vary. They have it in the Viking Crown Lounge with cold Hors d'Oeuvres and punch or juice. The bar is open but you pay for alcoholic drinks.

The difference is Cruise Critic has an exclusive relationship with RCL and a formal program. NCL could not have a formal program if they wanted too.

It is up to each ship at NCL has to how they want to support an unoffical CC gathering. We have had everything from an empty meeting room with nobody from the ship to great meetings with food and most of the senior staff.

Shoreguy, on RCL, the parties do vary from ship to ship. To my knowledge, there is no standard. And, I understand that Carnival is now hosting Meet & Mingles...

Not sure I know what you mean by exclusive... or by formal program. Please explain... :confused:

Teefleur,

I think that the souveneir exchange is a great idea. I might have to try that sometime on a cruise. I haven't been to a Meet 'N' Greet on RCI, but I have been on many on Celebrity. Those have varied also. Usually there is someone there to talk to the group, and sometimes it's coffee and juice, last time it was nothing but the Cruise director. I guess it just depends on what the line feels like doing at the time. No matter what's done though, it's fun to chat with the people who have been on the boards.

Katie

Shoreguy, on RCL, the parties do vary from ship to ship. To my knowledge, there is no standard. And, I understand that Carnival is now hosting Meet & Mingles...

Not sure I know what you mean by exclusive... or by formal program. Please explain... :confused:

There is a contact between Crusise Critic and RCL that makes RCL the only offical company to hold CC meet and mingle.

"Cruise Critic and Royal Caribbean have joined efforts to offer you a great way to get to know your fellow cruisers before you cruise, and then to meet onboard during your cruise. Find out more about a Meet & Mingle or a Celebrity/Cruise Critic Connections and have fun with all of your Cruise Critic friends! "

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/meetandmingle.cfm

For all other cruise companys it is up to the members to find a contact and arrange space and hope the ship will send someone. Many do provide a great meeting since it is good PR but no formal program.

I gotcha, Shoreguy... ;) Looks like we just have to put the pressure on NCL to get 'em in line... :D

Katie, the souvenir exchange has been a BALL! On one cruise, we had a couple from New Mexico who each brought identical gifts - hot sauces and a bunch of other Southwestern goodies. There was so much "stealing" of these two identical gifts that it got hysterical! :D Its easy to bring stuff from our area... can't go wrong with Mardi Gras beads or a cajun cookbook... anything "New Orleans!"

I few years ago on a cruise bash with folks from all over, about 30 of us met at our pre-cruise hotel and had a wine tasting party. Everyone brought wine from their part of the country. It was a "smashing" success!

Nancy, maybe you could bring some Louisiana Slap Your Momma hot sauce and we could trade you for a bottle of French Lick wine.

When we had our meet & greet on the STAR back in 2002, it was totally through contact from the boards. The Internet coordinator on the Star happen to see on the boards that we were meeting and showed up with the Food & Beverage manager, Robert Brand. His level of customer service could not be beat (anyone know if he is still with NCL?) We had a very informal meeting at one of the outside bars (the Bier Garten, for those of you who know the Star). If an inside bar is not available, an outside bar suits very well.

Looks like we just have to put the pressure on NCL to get 'em in line.
Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happen anytime soon. NCL may not ever be able to have official CC get togethers. RCI and it's sister cruise lines have an exclusive agreement with Cruise Critic to host gatherings. Unless the relationship between CC and RCI goes away or RCI allows others to get in on the deal, it won't happen. I dont know if NCL was ever contacted about a partnership but RCI signed up and when they did, they got exclusivity.

Also, there is no set standard for CC get togethers on NCL ships. On the Dawn you may get a bar location with food and staff show up. On the Crown you may get a meeting room and no one from the staff shows up. NCL doesn't have a Cruise Critic program so there's no set standard for how those types of gatherings are handled. It's up to the individual ship to decide what they'll do for you.

Now you have me worried! Our Dawn CC "Meet & Greet" for Sept. was assigned to the "Lifestyles Room". Is it possible nothing would be set up for us? ie. cocktails or appetizers. Right now were looking at 25+ people. I know there is no guarantee but then everyone justs stands around and talks? We'll have to BYO?

Now you have me worried! Our Dawn CC "Meet & Greet" for Sept. was assigned to the "Lifestyles Room". Is it possible nothing would be set up for us? ie. cocktails or appetizers. Right now were looking at 25+ people. I know there is no guarantee but then everyone justs stands around and talks? We'll have to BYO?
Unless NCL guaranteed you something when you set up the meeting, there may be nothing set up when you get there. They aren't obligated to provide anything but others have said that some ships have done something. I'd be back in touch with the person you set it up with and ask if something will be done or ask if anyone will show up from the staff. If the answer's no, it'll be 25 of you sitting in a room talking, etc. I wish NCL did have a program. :o

lastingtouch, a party is what you make of it! :D Do a souvenir exchange. It will break the ice and y'all won't just be sitting or standing around twiddling your thumbs!

Thanks for the response Cecilia... We'll just have to see what we can do on our own.

Micmark, Keith and Rita, I'll see y'all over on our thread! :)

• Administrators

Hi there!

The RCL/Celebrity gatherings on board actually do adhere to standards. We work very closely with the folks at Royal Caribbean to establish these. However, some ships may do more than is required -- which is very nice.

Only Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships have sponsored Cruise Critic parties on board -- where both the cruise lines and Cruise Critic are officially involved.

• Administrators

Also, there is no set standard for CC get togethers on NCL ships. On the Dawn you may get a bar location with food and staff show up. On the Crown you may get a meeting room and no one from the staff shows up. NCL doesn't have a Cruise Critic program so there's no set standard for how those types of gatherings are handled. It's up to the individual ship to decide what they'll do for you.

As Cecilia states, you shouldn't expect anything when arriving at your NCL location, but you could be pleasantly surprised. Asking for a "NO HOST" bar helps, as they'll provide a location where drinks can be served, but each individual pays for their own hence the term *no host*"

Cruise Critic thinks it is wonderful when cruise lines reach out to our members in any way -- they certainly appreciate your loyalty and show it when they schedule these gatherings for our members!

Laura

Archived