Declaring with customs

vkg090902

Hi! Getting so excited about our trip on 6/24 to Grand Caymen & Cozumel but have another question?

What can we bring back from ports and what has to be declared. Is there a limit of anything?

The only thing you can't bring back are Cuban cigars.

Everything has to be declared and some things like liqour or cigarettes CAN be charged duty if you exceed the allowable limits. I'm thinking it's 1 carton of cigs and 2 liters of alcohol.

I have several friends that have exceeded their allowance but have never been charged the extra duty.

Yes there are limits. You can bring back 1 liter of booze. more then that you have to declare it. They may or may not tax you.

You will need to declare all of your purchases.

You will also need to declare if you are bring a large quantity of money back into the country.

• 5 months later...

Just a heads up on something that happened to me at customs in Miami this past Sunday. We had very little to declare (about $100 in misc small souvenirs), but as I was reaching for my passport the customs agent asked where I got my watch. Granted it looks almost new because it isn't very old and I don't wear it for everyday use, but it kind of caught me by surprise.

He accepted my answer of receiving it for Christmas last year, which was the truth. It wouldn't have mattered too much anyway since even though the watch may have looked expensive it was just an Invicta my wife bought on Amazon for under $100. But if you wear an expensive watch be careful of attentive customs agents if you did not declare it.

John

Edited by Eliot Ness

Just a heads up on something that happened to me at customs in Miami this past Sunday. We had very little to declare (about $100 in misc small souvenirs), but as I was reaching for my passport the customs agent asked where I got my watch. Granted it looks almost new because it isn't very old and I don't wear it for everyday use, but it kind of caught me by surprise.

He accepted my answer of receiving it for Christmas last year, which was the truth. It wouldn't have mattered too much anyway since even though the watch may have looked expensive it was just an Invicta my wife bought on Amazon for under $100. But if you wear an expensive watch be careful of attentive customs agents if you did not declare it.

John

I've heard similar stories from others - especially when coming from St. Thomas. :cool:

One suggestion - that I thought was a good idea - if you are taking expensive jewelery that you would have trouble "proving" was purchased before boarding then lay it all out on a newspaper showing the date that you embark and take a photo. Preferable with a phone or camera that lists the date the photo was taken.

Not sure if it's every really solved the problem for anyone - but at least it would be a way to show that it was in your possession BEFORE boarding. ;)

Make sure that if you buy something expensive (jewelry, watches etc) onboard that you declare it. They turn over a list of the gift shop sales to customs when they are clearing the ship.

YEP....I've heard that too.

OP - remember - "duty free" does not mean that you don't have to declare it! We make sure we list EVERYTHING we purchase. We have never had any issue - but I'd much rather be safe than sorry! :eek:

Edited by happy cruzin