The Haven

shaun07

Well ,Guess what all I had sent An Email to the CEO of NCL about uncontrolable Children and his personal Assistant called me back and had reassured me that they have a lot of complaints about the haven and uncontrollable children and are looking into it .They are going to change all that .If a child is out of control it will be the parents that suffer THEY will be moved out of the haven into what ever room is available ....and be repayed the difference... But it is up to the parents to keep their children at bay not the staff.after All we all want to have a pleasent experiance in the haven .Send the children to the childrens area to play.

that's fair to every1

That seems reasonable but who has to determine reasonable? :) Lots of kinks to work out and definitely need to add that info to the cruise website and in the cruise documents sent to Haven booked guests so the parents are aware of their obligations/responsibilities/consequences. Hope it works out. Any idea how soon this will be instituted so we can look for follow up posts from travelers that encounter problems and how it is handled? I had no issues on our recent cruise but from the replies here, others obviously have had trouble and no resolution.

I personally think that the complaints over overstating the problem. As I said before, I did not see any children "ruining" anything for parents. From what I have experienced I think that most of the complaints are from people looking to complain. While I do not want to have my trip ruined by children or drunk adults, the staff is more than capable of dealing any issues that may arise on occasion. There is no reason why families with children cannot enjoy the Haven just as much people without kids. It is silly to have this attitude that if a child is even seen in the Haven then your experience will be ruined.

I personally think that the complaints over overstating the problem. As I said before, I did not see any children "ruining" anything for parents. From what I have experienced I think that most of the complaints are from people looking to complain. While I do not want to have my trip ruined by children or drunk adults, the staff is more than capable of dealing any issues that may arise on occasion. There is no reason why families with children cannot enjoy the Haven just as much people without kids. It is silly to have this attitude that if a child is even seen in the Haven then your experience will be ruined.

I don't think people are overstating the problems, I think everyone has a different expectation.

As an example, it drives me crazy to sit in a restaurant and have a child say mommy over and over again and the parent doesn't answer. I'm sure to the parent, this would never be a big deal, but to me, I can't understand why a parent can't answer a child instead of letting them call out to them 20 or 30 times before they respond to the child.

Also, I think it is overstating that if a child is seen in the Haven, it would ruin their experience, because no one ever said that.

On what basis are my words overstated?

If I was looking to complain, my long review would have been riddled with complaints, yet it is not. My trip was never ruined, in fact we had a wonderful vacation in spite of the Haven.

Due to the last two Haven sailings we are considering whether or not we will pay extra for the Haven. We would have paid considerably less for a GV on a non-haven ship. We spent it because I enjoy the Haven.

I am a consumer buying a clearly advertised product. I expect NCL to ensure the quality of my purchased product.

The model of the Haven is indeed changing, and as consumers we all need to be aware so our expectations are on par with the current product. That is nothing short of responsible business practices.

I understand NCL has a target market for the Haven, and by the inclusion of family suites they are maximising their bottom line. The shareholders expect a profit and targeting groups they feel will yield the most revenue is perfectly within the realm of acceptable to me. However, it may prove difficult to ensure a tranquil haven with 120 places in the Haven reserved for families with children imho. It might be a great choice for me to bring the kids for a family vacation, but not what we are looking for when it is just DH and I.

We are currently waiting to board the Gem. We are in room 14508, next Saturday I will give a current update of our Haven experience. They say we're sailing full, so we'll see.

We will be in that suite on the Aug 24th sailing! Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We are in Florida now. So far we have had a good experience in the haven. The days seem to be filled with kids, the evenings more adults. Kids all appear well behaved and under supervision that I have seen!

sailed Gem 5/18/2013, S3 owners suite w/ large bal.

the haven area was totaly taken over by one family, kids throwing pennies into the pool and jumping into the pool to retrieve. no supervision at all, mom, gradmom, sisters/aunts took all the loungers, no reguard for anyone but themselves. i will never book the haven again, not relaxing at all, spent much more time in the spa area:)

the haven area was totaly taken over by one family, kids throwing pennies into the pool and jumping into the pool to retrieve. no supervision at all, mom, gradmom, sisters/aunts took all the loungers, no reguard for anyone but themselves. i will never book the haven again, not relaxing at all, spent much more time in the spa area:)

Another NY departure. Interesting.

We had an awesome cruise, but the Haven let us down that same sailing you were on. Did you have a cabana by any chance on GSC?

We are in Florida now. So far we have had a good experience in the haven. The days seem to be filled with kids, the evenings more adults. Kids all appear well behaved and under supervision that I have seen!

Hope you are having a great cruise!!

Another NY departure. Interesting.

Same cruise as mine. What is interesting is his complaints are somewhat different than mine, yet I WOULD BET MONEY that I know who did it...LOL ;)

Well ,Guess what all I had sent An Email to the CEO of NCL about uncontrolable Children and his personal Assistant called me back and had reassured me that they have a lot of complaints about the haven and uncontrollable children and are looking into it .They are going to change all that .If a child is out of control it will be the parents that suffer THEY will be moved out of the haven into what ever room is available ....and be repayed the difference... But it is up to the parents to keep their children at bay not the staff.after All we all want to have a pleasent experiance in the haven .Send the children to the childrens area to play.

that's fair to every1

If this were policy, I would continue to book the Haven in a heartbeat! :D

I'm so relieved to hear that you are not experiencing the same unacceptable behaviors as reported by several others last month! Hope the rest of your trip is fantastic!

Thanks....this makes me feel somewhat better...;)

my upcoming haven trip will be my 5yo daughter's 7th cruise and my 2yo son's 5th. This will be our 3rd Haven cruise. What I tend to see in these posts are a trend. Keep kids out of the resturants. Keep kids out of the late night venues (even when they are 18 and over after a certain time.) Keep kids quiet at dinner. Put the kids in the kids clubs, keep them out of sight.

I do get compliments about my children. I police them closely even on vacation.

There is a three fold problem here. 1) Parents, 2) No clear rules that are enforced by NCL, 3) people that weather or not they realize it want a kid free vacation. NCL is NOT the 3rd.

So future bookers. On Dec 7th 2013, in the Haven I know of already 2 familys booked with young children. They will be in the pool and at the restaurant on the Epic. Mine will be sweet and under control, but may say Mommy a few thousand times (and I will answer all 1000 times.)

my upcoming haven trip will be my 5yo daughter's 7th cruise and my 2yo son's 5th. This will be our 3rd Haven cruise. What I tend to see in these posts are a trend. Keep kids out of the resturants. Keep kids out of the late night venues (even when they are 18 and over after a certain time.) Keep kids quiet at dinner. Put the kids in the kids clubs, keep them out of sight.

I do get compliments about my children. I police them closely even on vacation.

There is a three fold problem here. 1) Parents, 2) No clear rules that are enforced by NCL, 3) people that weather or not they realize it want a kid free vacation. NCL is NOT the 3rd.

So future bookers. On Dec 7th 2013, in the Haven I know of already 2 familys booked with young children. They will be in the pool and at the restaurant on the Epic. Mine will be sweet and under control, but may say Mommy a few thousand times (and I will answer all 1000 times.)

I love to see well behaved children. Often I will remark to the parents how wonderful their children behaved.

My children cruised with us, and too were well behaved. The problem was children out of control, not supervised, or disciplined. Spitting pool water and running in the Haven to catch up prior to spitting it on them. Cannon balls into the small pool and screaming. They fact that they were kids was not the issue. The non-parenting affecting the other passengers was the issue.

I agree NCL needs to create a policy and means to enforce the policy. I expect that this will happen soon. :)

This whole thread is off track and has been for a while, I was also on the 5/18 Gem..I love kids, I loved Cherie's kids (Nalagh). I do not want kid removed from anywhere, I want parents held accountable for their children's behavior. NCL should not have to discipline children they should hold parents responsible for that. My biggest problem was the health issues of hands on all the food In the Havne, diapers in the hot tubs and dangerous behavior by the pool. Just because it is called a family suite does not mean it is a no rules area.

I cannot just relax if there is a chance that a child might get hurt or get someone else sick. We are not talking about " another' NYC departure" we are still talking about the same sailing May 18. Yes there is bad behavior that goes on all over including the main pool area where children are left unattended, the differnce is because the Haven is so small it is so much more prominent and noticeable.

If you have polite well mannered children you should never have to worry about taking them anywhere, and least not defending them on these boards.

It is sometimes easy to see from the way people answer on these boards where their kids get their attitudes and manners from.

Andrea

This whole thread is off track and has been for a while, I was also on the 5/18 Gem..I love kids, I loved Cherie's kids (Nalagh). I do not want kid removed from anywhere, I want parents held accountable for their children's behavior. NCL should not have to discipline children they should hold parents responsible for that. My biggest problem was the health issues of hands on all the food In the Havne, diapers in the hot tubs and dangerous behavior by the pool. Just because it is called a family suite does not mean it is a no rules area.

I cannot just relax if there is a chance that a child might get hurt or get someone else sick. We are not talking about " another' NYC departure" we are still talking about the same sailing May 18. Yes there is bad behavior that goes on all over including the main pool area where children are left unattended, the differnce is because the Haven is so small it is so much more prominent and noticeable.

If you have polite well mannered children you should never have to worry about taking them anywhere, and least not defending them on these boards.

It is sometimes easy to see from the way people answer on these boards where their kids get their attitudes and manners from.

Andrea

Very well said Andrea!

Amen, Andrea! It is the parents who need to police the behavior of their children. I likewise have no problems with well-behaved kids. And love seeing them play and experience the cruise. NCL has to come up with non-threatening, basic rules and post them in The Haven or wherever.

From NCL.com

COURTYARD AT THE HAVEN

As a guest of The Haven, you'll have exclusive access to the Courtyard. This private enclave at the top of the ship has quiet places to dine, drink and relax, and an expertly trained staff to attend to your every need. Take a swim in a private pool, work out in a private fitness area and soak your tired muscles in a private hot tub. Order from a special Courtyard menu and spend your tranquil days at sea enjoying the luxury of complete privacy and personal service.

It's pretty clear that NCL (continues) to market the Haven experience as peaceful and tranquil, and the expectation for guests is that will be able to use the facilities.

NCL needs clear rules of conduct for both adults and children and must enforce them not only in the Haven Courtyard but in all venues of the ship. We should not have to argue with chair hogs to get a seat by the pool, sundeck, spa, etc., Where's the BLUE DOT?

I'm not advocating banning children from the Haven. It's both NCL's and parent responsibilities to ensure children's behavior is consistent with each venue throughout the ship.

Amen, Andrea! It is the parents who need to police the behavior of their children. I likewise have no problems with well-behaved kids. And love seeing them play and experience the cruise. NCL has to come up with non-threatening, basic rules and post them in The Haven or wherever.

That is the whole point!

I've done the haven on the Gem 2xs. It was the most wonderful experience. Well worth the money. I have not experienced rude or unruly people in the Haven. Granted....everyone's experience is different but you should give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed. The staff & service is top notch. I'm going back in may of 2014. This time in the 3 bedroom garden villa...soooo excited. Enjoy your trip!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived