Which diet are you following?

I have been going to Metabolic Research Center since April and have lost 35 pounds and have 12 to go. I just joined Curves because of all the people on CC saying how good it is. It is a lot harder than I expected...........

My favorite drink now is Diet Rite cola. I was a diet coke fanatic for years! I am talking that I drank diet coke for every meal and in between. But I went cold turkey for 2 months and only drank water and protein drinks. So after 2 months any soda tastes good!

Diane

Diane: 2 ?'s

1) What is different between Diet Rite cola and Diet Coke? I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke, does that make any difference?

2) What is Metabolic Research Center? I've read here before, but what is it?

I'M SO GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD -- alot of intelligent, thought-out plans on weight loss, not fads.

Thnx! Nancy

6 week body makeover. I've lost 50 pounds, gained back 10 over the past few months.. Now back on it full force. October is not far away right Marc?

Gosh - what's the 6-week body makeover :cool: !! WOW!

Nancy

P.S. Hey, look I got the new page :)

1) What is different between Diet Rite cola and Diet Coke? I drink Caffeine Free Diet Coke, does that make any difference?
Diet Rite is not sweetened with aspartame, but rather with sucralose (that's a good thing). Diet Rite has no caffeine, so that's why you won't see a decaf version of it. It tastes pretty good to me, about as good, but quite different from CF Diet Coke.

Nancy,

Metabolic Research Center is a diet center, I am not sure if they are all over the US but they have been here in Lubbock Tx at least 6 years. Basics are a lot of protein and very little bread!

I need the support group of having to go weigh in front of a counselor to keep me on the straight and narrow!

As for as Diet Caffeine free coke it didn't have a lot of taste to me. Even my husband who is a diet coke fanatic is now drinking Diet Rite.

Good luck to you on any diet you start!

Diane

Since Jan 1 dh and I have lost 25 and 20 lbs. respectively. (I should mention that by BMI measurement I was never overweight; dh probably was--he wouldn't tell me what he weighed.) Practically the only things that have changed are:

1. We eat oatmeal for breakfast.

2. We walk briskly a minimum of 4 days a wk averaging 45 min.

We have been healthy eaters for yrs. I suppose our diets qualify as low-fat, but they're primarily low-meat/high-veggie diets. For example, lunch yesterday was large veggie salad, bowl of lentil soup; dinner was baked salmon, green beans, pasta side, fresh fruit salad.

We do not feel as though we're sacrificing which I think is the problem with many diets. Once you hit a certain point, you can hardly wait to quit. This is the way we like to eat. We've eaten like this in the past and will continue in the future.

We're ascribing our success to the oatmeal. We got a horrific case of the flu just after Xmas. Respiratory, not intestinal, but we lost all interest in food. One of the first things I could tolerate when I started to feel better was oatmeal, and we've stuck to it.

We use instant oatmeal in those little packets with a small amt of 1% milk. We both noticed the oatmeal seemed to stick with us better through the morning so no urge for a 10:00 a.m. snack plus there's portion control with the little packets. Dh did some measuring and discovered he'd been eating 2X individual servings with dry cereal.

We walk on T/T/S/S, usually one or two additional days, but those days are mandatory. No "I really don't feel like it today." Outside in nice weather; indoor mall in bad weather.

Dh wants to lose another 10-20 lbs. I hope I don't lose anymore b/c I feel good at this weight. It's fitness rather than weight I was targeting. Maybe in a perverse way that's the secret: don't try to lose weight! ;-)

M/R

I am using diet software where I enter all foods I eat, and it calculates my daily calories and metabolic rate. You choose a goal weight and it also shows a proposed weight based on your eating and exercise habits. I don't like to see that proposed line going up instead of down. Since March 11, I have lost 24 lbs along with a good exercise program. I pretty much eat what I want but staying within the calorie limit suggested. I want to lose at least another 30 lbs. However, my goal is another 16 by our cruise in November.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing Proten Power for over year and lost 50 pounds, 20 to go. But on cruises, holidays, I never gain and ounce. PP is a cross between Atkins and South Beach abd is easier than both. It is allows fruits and lots of veggies also. At 55 I have more energy than I did at 30, dropped my BP meds and avoided statins as my cholesterol went way down.I also have found out to avoid SOY ( slows down metabolism amongst other nasty things) and watch those sugar alcohols, they can fool you into thinking they are low carb while they are not.

JR Janet, I downloaded the Diet Power software you mentioned in your earlier post, and I'm very excited about it. It seems very easy to use and tracks everything! :) I like that it is compatible with most other diet programs as I like the WW program also. I'm really new here as you can see, and I love all of the great information that people have to share. It gives me inspiration to get back on track! My cruise isn't until next summer but I would like to lose 59 lbs by then, so I have a lot of work to do! :p

I started using the eDiets plan on eDiets.com about three weeks ago, and have already lost 7 pounds. Only 50 more pounds to go. (EEK). I like it a lot, though, as it lets me decide on a meal plan that I can live with, and puts together a shopping list and everything for me. I'm finding that by having a strict list to go by when I grocery shop has helped me from buying a lot of the junk stuff I used to eat.

The plan I picked is a high fiber/low fat, and gives me about 1300 calories a day. I was worried at first that it wouldn't be enough, but there are days I still don't eat everything on the plan, and don't feel hungry. (And other days that I still go out for dinner and eat what I want). Now that I've given my body about three weeks to adjust to it, I'm bringing exercise into the mix. I try to do about 30 to 60 minutes on the treadmill at least three times a week, so we'll see how much of a difference that makes.

I tried Quick Weight Loss Center's diet a few years ago, and found that I couldn't maintain the high protein/low carb diet, and gained all the weight back plus some. Not to mention my cholesterol went through the roof while I was on it. So I'm liking this plan SOOO much more. :)

I've been doing the LA Weight Loss plan for 8 weeks, have lost 18 pounds and love it. My clothes are almost falling off of me, with just 18 pounds, some I've had to donate to Goodwill. I love the program because it includes 2 1/2 proteins, 3 fruits, 3 veggies, 3 starches every day - plus two of their yummy "candy bars." Also they have a carb cravers version which allows you lots of carbs and I need that. I have 37 pounds to go, should be at the goal when we board the ship in January. It costs a lot - but is well worth it in my opinion. I spent a lot more than $20 on junk food every week and felt terrible. Now I feel great.

I've been watching this post with great interest and wanted to share what I finally decided on for myself after exhaustive research, trial, and error! My WOE is Dr. Sear's "The Zone". I LOVE it. I lost 36 pounds last year with it. I started out like I did again this time though...first with a liquid protein fast for a couple weeks, then very low carb for another week or two, and then on into The Zone. If only I hadn't given up eating in The Zone, I would not have gained back 17 pounds and had to start over again!

With The Zone, I eat anything I want as long as every meal (3 x's/day) consists of 27g carbs, 21g protein, and 9g fat...and every snack consists of 9g carbs, 7g protein, and 3g fat. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day. I'll share some of my favorite meals and snacks below. The way I understand it is that Dr. Sears developed this diet, not for weight loss, but for health. Many people that practice this WOE see many health problems dissipate. (There are "best" carbs, proteins, and fats...then there are "least favored" as well.) Yes, it's difficult to master initially, but it becomes 2nd nature once you learn and practice this WOE.

As for how I'm doing... I started a 2-week fast on July 19, then went into low-carbing for 2 weeks, and on into The Zone after that (which I've been on for 2 weeks as well). In two weeks, I lost 7 pounds while fasting, lost 4 pounds while low carbing, and so far I've lost 6 pounds on The Zone. :) I feel GREAT on The Zone. Better than I feel on any other WOE. I am 100% sure I can do this for life...with an occasional indulgance at the ice cream stand once I get to my goal weight. (I'm talkin' sumthin HUGE and VERY BAD. lol)

I'd be glad to help anyone who has questions about The Zone. It's been wonderful to be able to read about all of your successes! I wish everyone the very, very best!

:) Shauna

Favorite Breakfasts: Breakfast Casserole (YUM!) - Yogurt/Granola/Bluberries with Turkey Bacon or Ham

Favorite Lunches: A HUGE Lunchmeat Sandwich with Veggie Sticks or Fruit or a Pudding Cup (3 oz. of roast beef/ham/turkey/turkey bacon with cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo, spicy mustard on whole wheat bread) - Chicken Salad Sandwich (I like lunch to be easy)

Favorite Dinners: Fajitas - Stuffed Green Peppers - Enchilada Pie (can you tell I love spicy stuff?!)

Favorite Snacks: Grapes/Cheese/Peanuts - Nachos (baked Tostitos/cheese/avocado/salsa) - Crab Canapes - Mini Pizza! (Eng muffin/olive oil/tomato sauce/spices/cheese

Hi!

I've posted on the old thread, onld boards.

I started Atkins 1/03. I lost 17 pounds in 17 days. 30 pounds in three months and 50 in five months. My total lost for 2003 was 70 pounds. I've been having some health problem, girl stuff, but have lost over 80 pounds to date.

After losing the first 50 I was able to start walking. After losing 70 I was able to get of all meds and my stats are great. My Doc who was dead set against Atkins has agreed its right for me and she is watching everything. I think she whould really LIKE to find something wrong:)

Melody

I am doing Michael Thurmonds 6 week body makeover. I did this 2 years ago and lost 20 lbs in 10 weeks......Unfortunatly I went off and gained back all 20 lbs! Just started again last Friday and am not sure why I ever stopped! I really like to food and way of eating as it is so healthy! I only like to weigh in once a week so tomorrow will tell what all I have been doing to myself for the past week :)

I find if I weigh daily I will get depressed if I'm up a lb....puts things on a hold...so weekly suits me just fine:)

Archived