Shots

Hi all

Thanks for the replies on my visa question but I have one more question that might also be stupid When we cruise to asia next year ie 1 day Vietnam 2 days Thailand and 4 days Singapore do we need any vaccinations prior?

Thanks

No specific immunizations required.

However, it's always wise to make sure that all your routine immunizations are up to date. It's also wise to get Hepatitis C immunization, if you don't already have it - not just for Asia, as you could catch this anywhere.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies on my visa question but I have one more question that might also be stupid When we cruise to asia next year ie 1 day Vietnam 2 days Thailand and 4 days Singapore do we need any vaccinations prior?

Thanks

If you stay in the cities you should be fine. We got Hep A and Cholera on our first cruise to Asia (because we didn't know any better). Suggest you watch the local cooked food if you're going off the beaten track...also drink only bottled water.

In all the time I've taken insect repellant, I've still not seen any mozzies (not even in the Singapore Botanic gardens).

Please do ensure you don't get bitten by mosquitoes. While others may not have seen any I can assure you they exist.

As far as illnesses go most people do get some kind of tummy bug but these are self limiting. Just drink bottled water and avoid non cooked vegetables (salads) and fruit you don't peel.

Hi all

Thanks

Mossies are your worst enemy in SE Asia along with stomach bugs and Bed Bugs.

Buy some "Bushmans" personal repellent it contains a higher level of Deet (not good for small children though)

I have had Dengue Fever twice and believe me you dont want to catch the bad strain!

Dengue mossies bite during the day so dont be fooled into thinking its ok because you are back on the ship before sunset, they are also more like Knatts as you cant here them or feel the bite like our monsters mossies.

I dont think you will have a problem if in the citys Singapore Bangkok and Saigon, But in the wet season you can never be too sure as dengue mossies live in small water catchments like household pot plants.

Vietnam can be bad for mossies in wet season but for us Bali and Lombok are the places most get Dengue.

All 3 cities you are visiting are not 3rd world and are very modern so I would say no to any immunisations for myself, if you ask your GP they will say yes its advisable, if you ask your GP if they would have them their self they would in most cases say no unless they were visiting rural areas:)

Local money is the biggest cause of Bali Belly/Thai Tummy due to people touching their mouth or food in some way after touching local money due to locals not always having the same Bathroom hygiene we are used to (same on a cruise though! watch how many people visit the toilet onboard and leave without washing their hands:eek:.)

Use antibacterial hand wipes or Gel before eating anything smoking or putting your hand near your mouth;)

I have been visiting Asia for 30 years and always got a bad stomach/illness until I started using Gel and Wipes, I was a smoker so my hand to mouth action was frequent and i guarantee I was always the first to catch Bali Belly/Thai Tummy. Nuro virus in cruise language.

Even when still smoking I never once got sick in Asia after using hand wipes, apart from Dengue which is quite hard to avoid in some places.

Good advice Taco. We use Bushmans (80 DEET) especially when travelling to malaria prone places and have never had a problem.

Singapore food and water is safe but we would use bottled water and be careful of what we ate in the other cities. I agree Bali belly is not a pleasant thing!

Mossies are your worst enemy in SE Asia along with stomach bugs and Bed Bugs.

Buy some "Bushmans" personal repellent it contains a higher level of Deet (not good for small children though)

I have had Dengue Fever twice and believe me you dont want to catch the bad strain!

Dengue mossies bite during the day so dont be fooled into thinking its ok because you are back on the ship before sunset, they are also more like Knatts as you cant here them or feel the bite like our monsters mossies.

I dont think you will have a problem if in the citys Singapore Bangkok and Saigon, But in the wet season you can never be too sure as dengue mossies live in small water catchments like household pot plants.

Vietnam can be bad for mossies in wet season but for us Bali and Lombok are the places most get Dengue.

All 3 cities you are visiting are not 3rd world and are very modern so I would say no to any immunisations for myself, if you ask your GP they will say yes its advisable, if you ask your GP if they would have them their self they would in most cases say no unless they were visiting rural areas:)

Local money is the biggest cause of Bali Belly/Thai Tummy due to people touching their mouth or food in some way after touching local money due to locals not always having the same Bathroom hygiene we are used to (same on a cruise though! watch how many people visit the toilet onboard and leave without washing their hands:eek:.)

Use antibacterial hand wipes or Gel before eating anything smoking or putting your hand near your mouth;)

I have been visiting Asia for 30 years and always got a bad stomach/illness until I started using Gel and Wipes, I was a smoker so my hand to mouth action was frequent and i guarantee I was always the first to catch Bali Belly/Thai Tummy. Nuro virus in cruise language.

Even when still smoking I never once got sick in Asia after using hand wipes, apart from Dengue which is quite hard to avoid in some places.

Thanks for all the info will just use insect repellent and wipes and just give water a miss (lol) Congrats on stopping the smokes I've been smoke free for 16 months but I still put away the money I would spend on smokes each week and so far this has paid for cruise to queensland and this one to Singapore for 3 adults great incentive to stay of them anyway keep it up and enjoy the benefits

In all the time I've taken insect repellant, I've still not seen any mozzies (not even in the Singapore Botanic gardens).

This observation is purely from my experience in Asia. Do take along your Bushman's/Deet etc.and take the precautions suggested by the other posters. Enjoy your cruise, Chester32 :)

Archived