Space bags

eheif

hello. I bought some space bags and found that they really didn't save me much room for the expense. maybe I didn't use them right (you just rolled them to get the air out of the bag).. I found that it was difficult to get them small enough. I have not used the ones you "vacuum"... good luck!

I’ve used the bags and they do seem to help (I also use the roll the air out of ‘em kind). I’ve found that I can’t get the clothes in them without some major wrinkles. So socks and underwear go in the backs for the trip to the ship. Coming home, everything goes in (I bring a few extra) and I even have room for a few souvenirs!

Space bags are a useful item to have when it comes to packing for your cruise or any other travel you may be doing. That being said the use of the large 2.5 gallon zip lock bags work well also. Which ever you choose, do keep in mind the size limitations of the items that you can place in the bags. The large sized space bags worked well for holding my neatly folded polo type shirts and came out of the bag in pretty good shape. One more thing to keep in mind is that items placed in either type bag will make it easier for the TSA airport screeners to check your bags. At least when they go through your bag(s) your clothing and personal items won’t be strewn all over the place.

I purchased some vacuum space bags for home use - storage of blankets and linens - and I guess I overstuffed them because they would not stay closed. Once they are opened they tend to "inflate" to normal size of the item inside.

For the money, I have found the zipper style 2.5 gallon bags to be best. Undies, socks, small clothing, and personal items work great in them. At least you know if the TSA inspects your bags, your underwear won't be on the germy floor! The larger bags can be difficult to find, but I've always had luck at Target.

I've used the vacuum type bags and they work with a few drawbacks:

Clothes wrinkle so it's best to use them on the way home.

It's easy to go over the new weight limits on air carriers when using the bags.

I've used both the vacuum bags and the roll up kind. I prefer the roll up--less hassle. The bags were a help with packing. They are really great if security decides to open up your bags--they won't actually touch your clothes and it's easy to get repacked if they really go thru the bag. Large ziplocks wrok fine too, but the roll up bags are thicker and last longer.

We bought some space bags and also the hefty 2.5 gallon bags. Both worked well although the space bags were a little bigger.

They were especially helpful in separating the clean from the dirty clothes. I also packed outfits together and could see what I had.

We use the small ones in our carry-ons for extra set of clothing. 3 days in Tunisia with no change of clothing taught us a lesson.

I either carry my heavy raincoat with zip lining or put it in the big air bag. Only way to go. Will have to ck out the hefty 2.5 gal bags.

One thing to be careful now with those space bags is it is very easy to get overweight if you are traveling by air. We also swear by the 2.5 gallon hefty zipper bags. Keeps everything safe and dry, makes it easier to find something for a pre-cruise stay and if they happen to have to check your luggage at the airport, they can see everything with having to mess it all up when they search through it.

Get the "zipper space bag" with the airlock on the bottom that you don't have to roll up.. you just do a belly-flop down on it and the air goes out the lock and it stays sealed:) ... great for pj's, undies, socks and esp. coming home with dirty laundry or wet stuff.. you can throw a few in even if you don't use them when packing.. I take a small steamer with me and buy a lot of wrinkle-free clothes so do use them for t-shirts, capris etc.

One thing to remember with them if you are flying and DON'T have scales to check: because they compress stuff and you can fit more in the suitcase,check bag weight.. airlines have gone pretty much to 50 lb per bag limit in U.S. and they can make the bag heavier if you overpack..

I found the 2.5 gallon Hefty bags at Kroger (Ohio). Didn't have any luck at local Target stores. Will be using for the first time on Alaska cruise.

When you are talking about Hefty bags.....do you mean the regular Hefty bags or are there such things as Space Bags by Hefty?

Sorry to sound silly asking this question, but I'm not sure what you mean.

We've thought about getting Space bags, but not sure if we could vacuum out the air while on the cruise to return home.

When you are talking about Hefty bags.....do you mean the regular Hefty bags or are there such things as Space Bags by Hefty?

Sorry to sound silly asking this question, but I'm not sure what you mean.

We've thought about getting Space bags, but not sure if we could vacuum out the air while on the cruise to return home.

They are "zip loc" bags just like the smaller Hefty brand sandwich or freezer bags. Outside box says: "Hefty One Zip, Jumbo 2.5 gallon -- Largest slider bag available". I found them at Kroger in the aisle where you can find aluminum foil, wax paper and all the plastic storage bags. Size of bag is 14-3/8" X 16"'. Got them on sale for 2 boxes for $4 (12 bags in a box). Space Bags or Pack Mate brand bags are a lot more expensive.

Glad I read this. I just got an order from QVC for a whole set of space bags..the kind you just smash down and the air goes out. I played with one and stuck some clothes in to see how it would work..it did take out the air..but not sure how much space it really is cutting down on.

But I didn't think about the fact that I could wind up overpacking by weight since it is more compressed overall.

I am trying to be good and cut down on what I bring. I am going on my first ever cruise on the Tahitian Princess..and I know I mostly need swimsuits, a few pareos and some tees, shorts and a dressy outfit..and I know have laundry on board..

Uggh..worst part of the trip!

Archived