Honningsvag

Before going on the Crab Safari, I had the morning free to look around the City of Honningsvag ,

it's a very small City :confused:.

The Ship docks right in the centre and it's a short walk to the fishing harbour.

There's a good gift shop you'll pass on the way.

Not many locals out and about but it was a Sunday when we landed.

The weather in the morning OK, very Sunny and warm :)

SAM_0550_zps774be735.jpg

SAM_0552_zpsaee1a576.jpg

SAM_0553_zps09062616.jpg

SAM_0554_zps4f9e2239.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. How was the Crab safari?

I'll bring back the King crab Safari thread :)

Nice name by the way "ibfishing2"

You'll notice in the 1st photo it looks like the red car has crashed into the stone monument

The 2nd photo is a "Hitchcock moment" (Hitch appeared in all his movies ! )

Appreciate from Jules 1970, the pictures and posts from Honningsvag. Yes, it is fairly small and limited for the options within this town. As detailed below in my live/blog, we did the bird island options on our own. The giant crabs look interesting, taste and fun!! Below is one of my favorites in discovering these wild animals. Plus, an overview as we approached this harbor.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,955 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Here is the view as we were sailing into Honningsvag. Nice town and area, but not as dramatic and interesting as are the other areas that will take a rental car or ship tour to visit and experience.:

HonnOverallPortSailInView_zps08b30a72.jpg

Seeing your photo of the reindeers Terry reminds me of mine.

At the time we were just tucking into the Crab when someone mentioned reindeer.

It was down tools and a quick dash outside and a scramble up a small incline.

This is the my photo. :(

SDC11482_zps7efaef32.jpg

Honningsvag Town or City ?

It was declared a City in 1996, and is one of the smallest Cities in Norway.

Seeing your photo of the reindeers Terry reminds me of mine. Honningsvag Town or City ? It was declared a City in 1996, and is one of the smallest Cities in Norway.

Thanks, Jules 1970, for the added posting. Here are my Honningsvag note for this town that is the gateway to the North Cape. I have it down as having a population is 2,600. In Ohio where I am from, that size would be a medium village. Not a city.

Much of this area is treeless tundra with sparse dwarf plants. It is 1300 miles from the North Pole. One of the Nordic countries' main attractions is without a doubt the midnight sun, which can be seen in the North Cape area from the middle of May until the end of July. Then, the sun disappears completely beyond the horizon on November 20, not returning again until January 22. The ship offers tours to the North Cape Hall with a glass-enclosed viewpoint overlooking the Barents Sea. Outside is a giant iron globe. This plateau on the North Cape cliff is only twenty miles away from Honningsvåg and is Europe's northernmost corner, at 71ºC 10' 21'' latitude.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 110,955 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I agree with what you are saying, and having visited this place recently it just feels like a Town. But take a look at the link below under History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honningsv%C3%A5g

Appreciate the added info. A city? Yes, maybe, kind of, by legal hocus-pocus?? Those things happen!! As they note:

National legislation was passed in 1997 that states that a Norwegian city must have at least 5,000 inhabitants, but since Honningsvåg was declared a city in 1996, it was exempt from this legislation. This makes it one of the smallest cities in Norway.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 134,456 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 3 weeks later...

Archived