Adults in the Dining Rooms

Homosassa

We are a group of adults that are very interested in trying Disney Cruiselines for several reasons; one of them being the excellent job that Disney does with the adult only areas on board ship.

I know that for dining, one is rotated among three different dining rooms. Somewhere I thought I read (maybe an old thread or another review of the cruise line) that when one is assigned the dining room for the first night, that there will be an attempt made to have one dining room as adult only and that each night's rotation will therfore be adult only. Is this true or all the dining rooms a mixed bag of families and adults?

If the dining rooms are mixed, is there an attemt to separate a room into a family area and an adult's only area? I know if this is the case, some adults will be close to any screaming kids that are present.

I don't get me wrong, we al have had families and cruised with our kids when younger [we took one of the first Disny cruises with our then 5 yo daughter when Disney used the Big Red Boat (Premier Cruislines)], but we are now at a stage between kids and grandchildren when we can enjoy an adults only venue.

I have never seen this. They do make an attempt to seat groups without children at the same tables, but never an adult area or adult only dining room.

We are a group of adults that are very interested in trying Disney Cruiselines for several reasons; one of them being the excellent job that Disney does with the adult only areas on board ship.

I know that for dining, one is rotated among three different dining rooms. Somewhere I thought I read (maybe an old thread or another review of the cruise line) that when one is assigned the dining room for the first night, that there will be an attempt made to have one dining room as adult only and that each night's rotation will therfore be adult only. Is this true or all the dining rooms a mixed bag of families and adults?

If the dining rooms are mixed, is there an attemt to separate a room into a family area and an adult's only area? I know if this is the case, some adults will be close to any screaming kids that are present.

I don't get me wrong, we al have had families and cruised with our kids when younger [we took one of the first Disny cruises with our then 5 yo daughter when Disney used the Big Red Boat (Premier Cruislines)], but we are now at a stage between kids and grandchildren when we can enjoy an adults only venue.

Overall on the ships firstly you have early and you have late sitting. Then they are divided into three restaurants, called MDRs,- main dinning rooms, and a third of all people eating on early or late eat in one of those three. Those assignments are rotated.

Now within that they do dry to put younger kids on on and families with older kids on another.

Late dinner by nature often has a more adult or older child balance and younger kids will be going to bed.

But as the make up of cruisers is different on each cruise, then you cant guarantee anything. Sail school holidays there will be more kids and if the ships full more are forced onto late dinner.

Now the only adult only meal is booking Palo and there is a $20 surcharge pp.

Now within the MDRs there are not separate areas, but DCL is very good at keeping younger kids amused and served quickly and late has the option of dine and play where kids get served quickly and then at 9.15pm taken to the kids club so less kids left in the MDR.

Personally to me kids are not an issue, I have seen and heard very loud Adults misbehaving at tables in the MDR it can happen anywhere.

If you have any issue when you are seated speak to your head server for a move.

So in summary:-

For adults and less kids.

Book outside all school holidays ie USA and Europe kids leave is different at times. UK later in summer to end of August.

Book late dinner.

Ask DCL for an adults rotation if possible.

Another vote for late dining if you want to minimize the surrounding youngsters. We've done both and seen a big difference between the two.

Don't forget to link your reservations if you're traveling with adults booked on separate reservations. That way you're assured to be seated together. If you used a TA they can do it for you. If you booked online yourself you can link them or call DCL directly to link them for you.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/booking-reservations/coordinating-separate-bookings/

(are) all the dining rooms a mixed bag of families and adults?

is there an attemt to separate a room into a family area and an adult's only area?

#1Yes

#2 No

Agree with pp suggestions to go for late dining.

Link the reservations of your party and request a table just for your group.

Long, long ago, DCL made an effort to separate guests based on the age of their youngest child. At that time there was one rotation that was adults and families with older children. There were always a few exceptions as people would request a particular server or a particular rotation, but in general it worked.

I guess it became too much effort as this ended MANY years ago. Now all dining rooms are a mixed bag of families of all ages. There is no adult dining room or adult area other than the "adult only" dining in Remy and Palo.

One thing they DO is to not mix families with young children and "adult only" groups. When DD was a teen, we were sometimes seated with adult only couples, but this was as an older teen and worked fine. You can request to be seated as just your group--no "outsiders."

My wife and I just returned from the Disney Dream. We were seated at a table for 8 adults at the second seating. We were never bothered by little kids out of control and we were delighted to see the big eyes on the kids is Animator's Palate. Even though there were kids everywhere, we were never inconvenienced or annoyed by them. It may sound strange but I felt, at times that we were on THEIR ship. This was a fantastic trip and plenty of adult only escapes.

I don't understand going on a Disney cruise if you have an aversion to being around the noise, mess, and confusion of children. There are plenty of other lines to cruise with. Disney primarily focuses on family cruises.

If someone clearly has an aversion to children, I can agree with you. However, there is a huge difference between that and wanting adult spaces to be enforced for adults. DCL advertises that it is for ALL--and families come in all shapes and sizes. They specifically mention spaces dedicated specifically for children, for families, and for adults only.

Why cruise DCL? We like them better than other lines. No, we don't mind children sitting at the table in the dining room, and can forgive the outbursts that occur. We would not like to share a table with a family with toddlers and don't enjoy them being allowed to run around the dining room and "visit" other tables while getting in the way of the CMs (seen it!) When we are in family area and/or attending family activities, we anticipate that there will be children present. Some will be well behaved; others will be having bad days. However, when we are in adult spaces or at adult only activities, we do not appreciate children being present, even "just for a minute."

I've been on 3 Disney cruises. Just us adults.

I have always been pleasantly surprised how calm and orderly the dining rooms are. The kids are so busy looking around, seeing their favorite characters, getting their own menus....I rarely saw anything but good behaviour.

They get dressed up, or dress up in a Disney costume and are so precious. People make a fuss over them and they just beam!

In 3 cruises, I have seen one big meltdown by a child about 3. Understandable...his mom wouldn't let him stop Mickey on his way to the elevator to get another hug.

If you enjoy Disney, Disney World or Disneyland and enjoy a quality experience....try Disney!

You can read my "adults only" cruise experience on The Dream ... just click on the link down in my signature.

Thank you to all that gave me useful information.

As to those that have poor reading comprehension or didn't bother to read my post completely, I tried to ignore your assumptions (and we all know what assuming does to you and me) that I am a child hater or am trying to avoid children completely. I would be willing to bet that I have been cruising longer, have a wider experience of different cruise lines, and more experience at traveling with children (my daughter was 17 months old on her first cruise, now 30 years old), than many of you giving the snarky responses.

We cruised Disney as only adults. Choose late seating for dining. We had 7 adults and were seated by ourselves. I remember one girl had a sweet 16 and I saw a family or two with like middle schoolers or older. On other nights (like pirate night) we didn't really see any. The real lil bitty ones typically eat the early sitting. This works for shows too. You do not have to rush in from port, just throw on some thing comfy and grab a glass of wine to take to the 6:15 show, plenty of seats too. Because all the real lil bitties are typically eating at 6:15, we didn't hear any crying kids either. Then enjoy your veranda or an activity (we took princess photos with our own tiaras!) And then you go to dinner at 8:15. This schedule will be less kids in your face. We would see them of course but they were precious and in aw for the most part the whole time. Very entertaining too at the fiesta salsa party of family style karaoke. But you can go to adults only dining or areas too. (But we didn't really cuz we had our own deck veranda which I totally recommend.) Bottom line is that they are much more occupied and supervised then other cruise lines I have been on. They also have adult areas on the island too. Its a great mix! Bottom line, its like the parks. We point out the cute ones, move on and run around them to the next awesome attraction, amazing restaurant or show. Have a great time! Can't wait to go back, seriously.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

When we cruised on the Dream this past May, we were seated at a table for four each night. My hubby, myself and our 2 daughters 18 and 22. I also saw other adult only families seated separately from families with small children.

If someone clearly has an aversion to children' date=' I can agree with you. However, there is a huge difference between that and wanting adult spaces to be enforced for adults. DCL advertises that it is for ALL--and families come in all shapes and sizes. They specifically mention spaces dedicated specifically for children, for families, and for adults only.

Why cruise DCL? We like them better than other lines. No, we don't mind children sitting at the table in the dining room, and can forgive the outbursts that occur. We would not like to share a table with a family with toddlers and don't enjoy them being allowed to run around the dining room and "visit" other tables while getting in the way of the CMs (seen it!) When we are in family area and/or attending family activities, we anticipate that there will be children present. Some will be well behaved; others will be having bad days. However, when we are in adult spaces or at adult only activities, we do not appreciate children being present, even "just for a minute."[/quote']

Yes, there will be children at the second seating. Some parents actually prefer it over the first seating for various reasons. We have three families traveling together for our next cruise and my sister has chosen second seating even though the kids will be 4 and 6. But then again they're very well behaved and used to dining in nice restaurants.

That being said, I agree with you 100% in that the rule of no children in the adult only areas of the ship should be enforced. Adults traveling without children who choose to take advantage of the adult only areas should be able to enjoy their time there if peace and quiet is what they want. I love children but also enjoy quiet time on a rare occasion.

Last cruise my sister and I traveled without the kids and stayed in the adult only areas of the ship. I expected the no kids rule to be enforced and for the most part it was from what I observed. For dinner we had second seating and were paired with three other couples in the MDR and none of them had kids. Most likely DCL will try to seat you at a table with adults. You also have the option of Remy and Palo, so that takes care of at least two nights.

The only times I've seen families with no kids and families with kids mixed at dinner, the "kids" were older teens who could behave appropriately and hold their own in conversation.

I can't say that it has never happened, but I've never seen a family with small children seated with a "no kid" family unless they were cruising together (as in parents and grandparents).

If you have any issue with your table mates on the first night, talk with your head server--you will be moved.

However, don't jump too quickly. We continue to be in contact with some families we've been seated with on cruises from many years ago. In one case, we arranged to sit together on a future cruise. In another, we were asked if we'd mind joining another party at lunch--I said OK as long as they were all right with it. The husband at the table was obviously unhappy, and I quickly said that we'd be happy to move; the wife gave him the evil eye and told us to stay.....bottom line, we couldn't have been better paired and ultimately the manager had to ask us to leave the dining room so they could set up for the next event as we were in a LONG talk......

The only times I've seen families with no kids and families with kids mixed at dinner' date=' the "kids" were older teens who could behave appropriately and hold their own in conversation.

I can't say that it has never happened, but I've never seen a family with small children seated with a "no kid" family unless they were cruising together (as in parents and grandparents).

If you have any issue with your table mates on the first night, talk with your head server--you will be moved.

However, don't jump too quickly. We continue to be in contact with some families we've been seated with on cruises from many years ago. In one case, we arranged to sit together on a future cruise. In another, we were asked if we'd mind joining another party at lunch--I said OK as long as they were all right with it. The husband at the table was obviously unhappy, and I quickly said that we'd be happy to move; the wife gave him the evil eye and told us to stay.....bottom line, we couldn't have been better paired and ultimately the manager had to ask us to leave the dining room so they could set up for the next event as we were in a LONG talk......[/quote']

We cruised on the dream in Feb 2012, and myself, my husband, and my 8 year old shared a table with a couple with no children and a coup,e with a teenage son. We throughly enjoyed our table mates and actually ended up meeting up to see shows together, go to a movie, ect. My then 8 year old can behave and participate in dinner conversation. Sorry, but a kid doesn't need to be an older teen to do that, they just need to be taught to behave properly.

In January of 1999, 6 adults (2 couples late 70's and us kids in our 50's) set sail on the Disney Magic --the first few months of DCL. We loved it and had such a good time. My husband said on the first day that someday he would come back with his grandkids. This was a rather radical statement in that our girls -- 1 was married 6 months and the other still in college! Well Granddaddy's dream trip will come true on August 4, 2013 when 8 of us board the Disney Dream. Sadly the two older couples are gone now and we have moved to the senior title but I just know that we are going to have a blast. Oldest Granddaddy and youngest 4 year old grandson will be both enchanted. As adults only, we had a wonderful time. As family it will be even better. Sure wish Gangaw could see this dream because she was always to one who loved Disney best.

For the adults only, I really believe that Disney has a well thought out procedure and will work with you so that you have the experience you want. If not, BACK to CRYSTAL for you as you walk the plank on Pirate Night:D

Archived