black angus steak, rare steak?

I have read that the dreaded ranch steak has been replaced with a black angus steak. Does anyone know what kind of steak this is? sirloin? rib eye? Is it tender? Does it compare with a decent steak in a restaurant?

Also, many have said Voyager had a problem with getting the steak really rare (which is the ONLY way we enjoy it) Did anyone else who enjoys their meat rare get it the way they like it?

We were on Navigator 5/28. My 18 year old son (the worlds pickiest eater) got the Black Angus 5 out of 7 meals. It was sirloin and very tender. Actually better than the NY Strip I ordered one night. He got it just the way he likes it...still mooing. So getting it rare is no problem.

Have a great cruise.

We had rare steak the night it was featured on Explorer. Not bad, not great. Came home and did a juicy rib-eye for DH on the grill for Father's Day. Now that's a steak!! We cook out a lot, and do a lot of steaks, so we are probably pickier than most about steak. The dining room steak was OK, but certainly not a high point of the dining experience

Thanks for your prompt answers. Rib eye is my favorite too (as long as it's rare) Now I know if there isn't anything else featured on the menu which doesn't look appetizing, I'll still be happy.

It is definitely better than the Ranch steak which was a horror. But if you are really picky and the ship has Chops as an alternative dining restaurant.

it is well worth the $20 or in a couple of cases $25 dollar up charge.

One word of warning though - My wife ordered the Lamb Chops - they were delicious but they were 3 HUGE chops and she couldn't finish them. No doggie bag since the pooch was home. However - I am told you could ask for only 2 chops. The poor waiter was concerned that something was wrong with the food. My Filet you could cut with a butter knife

DH has always eaten his steaks rare, and says on all our recent cruises on RCI his meat was cooked rare enough for him.

He said the Ranch Steak was very ordinary, and he's looking forward to the new Angus Beef. He also agrees that the filet mignons are very good. You might discuss having an extra with your dining steward if you're a big beef eater. He might just surprise you the next night!!

Archived