Coral Princess Southbound retuned June 19, 2013 --any questions?

world_traveler_et

I did not use the thermal suites. On the first day of the cruise the ship offers tours and you could sample the thermal beds on a quick tour.

We did book spa appointments and enjoyed our treatments.

On the first day of the cruise you can participate in a hunt and get various stamps. Once you receive all the stamps you can enter them in a drawing for prizes. The hunt takes you through out the entire ship to see different things the ship has to offer. The spa also had a separate drawing for up to $500 in spa treatments. In order to win you needed to be present the next day. If you weren't at the drawing the spa ended up selecting another name until all the prizes were given away. We ended up winning two prizes: $75 & $100. You could apply your winnings toward any spa treatment they offered that included an asterisk before the treatment.

I did not use the thermal suites. On the first day of the cruise the ship offers tours and you could sample the thermal beds on a quick tour.

We did book spa appointments and enjoyed our treatments.

On the first day of the cruise you can participate in a hunt and get various stamps. Once you receive all the stamps you can enter them in a drawing for prizes. The hunt takes you through out the entire ship to see different things the ship has to offer. The spa also had a separate drawing for up to $500 in spa treatments. In order to win you needed to be present the next day. If you weren't at the drawing the spa ended up selecting another name until all the prizes were given away. We ended up winning two prizes: $75 & $100. You could apply your winnings toward any spa treatment they offered that included an asterisk before the treatment.

WHen you say first day - do you mean the day of embarkation? Our departure isn't until 8:30pm (probably the same as yours) and we are doing a PWS cruise so probably want be able to do a hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHen you say first day - do you mean the day of embarkation? Our departure isn't until 8:30pm (probably the same as yours) and we are doing a PWS cruise so probably want be able to do a hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Rachelfran,

Sorry, Yes, the first day I was referring to was the embarkation day. I looked at my Princess Patter. It appears that there was a different drawing for the $100 Klondike Treasure Hunt. This is where you went around the ship and collected stamps. You had to collect the stamps and submit the completed card in the Toambola set up on the atrium deck between 4:30-6:30PM on the embarkation day and between 9AM-10:45AM the next day. The drawing was held in the Princess Theater on Deck 7 at 11AM and you needed to be present.

As you were going around to get your stamps the spa is one area to go to visit. The spa team was doing quick neck massages and others were asking if you wanted a tour of the spa. After receiving a quick tour of the spa you could register for the free raffle. I think the drawing for the Spa was around 11AM or 11:15AM when we were cruising Hubbard Bay. The spa team would talk about some of the items they offered and than drew names. I think there were only around fifty to sixty people present.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Our itinerary does include both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. Since we are doing a cruise tour first, I did get the transfer packages, so glad it is seamless. I read someone's review where they bought a package on one of the decks where they had reserved chairs for the day and were served food and drink all day - was great for observing and wasn't crowded - and their description made it sound so nice that I'm going to have to go back and check out what I read.

Our itinerary does include both Glacier Bay and Hubbard. Since we are doing a cruise tour first, I did get the transfer packages, so glad it is seamless. I read someone's review where they bought a package on one of the decks where they had reserved chairs for the day and were served food and drink all day - was great for observing and wasn't crowded - and their description made it sound so nice that I'm going to have to go back and check out what I read.

I believe you are referring to the sanctuary area located towards the back of the ship. I will have to check my photographs of the area. I don't recall if they have blue glass in that area. You probably want to avoid any areas with the blue glass obstructing views if you want to take pictures. I wouldn't rule out the secret decks for viewing the glaciers. On Glacier Bay viewing day they did have a buffet set up on the deck near the main pool area for lunch.

Margob111,

We didn't do the land portion do to work not allowing me any additional time off. Everyone I spoke to said they had a wonderful time and they had great views of Denali. Most of the people said if they could come back again they would like to see if they could do a land only tour of Denali and skip the cruise. If I recall correctly for the people taking land tours you could take a smaller suit case for the land portion and they would store the rest of your bags and send them the to the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You are correct for the land portion - everything I have read says that we will keep our land clothes and carryons with us and Princess takes the rest of our luggage. Today hubby was talking about changing the cruise date so he could see bears feeding on the salmon but decided to keep the original date. Can you give me a rough idea of how much I van expect to pay for excursions? Those for next year aren't up yet but I haven't checked for this year.

You are correct for the land portion - everything I have read says that we will keep our land clothes and carryons with us and Princess takes the rest of our luggage. Today hubby was talking about changing the cruise date so he could see bears feeding on the salmon but decided to keep the original date. Can you give me a rough idea of how much I van expect to pay for excursions? Those for next year aren't up yet but I haven't checked for this year.

Margaret,

Are you looking for pricing on the excursions that I booked? If so, I can check what I paid for the excursions and let you know on Friday.

Margob111,

Here is what we paid for our excursions:

• Ketchikan -- Misty Fjords with Island Wings float plane tour $239 per person (paid the 2012 rate).
  • Skagway -- Scenic Bennett Journey with Chilkoot Charter & tours $239 per person.
  • Juneau --Princess's Pilot Choice tour through Temsco $429 per person.
  • Juneau--Mendenhall on our out took the "blue' bus $8.00 per person each way. Visitors center small fee I think some where around $3.00 per person.

Since we were unable to get to Denali on this trip we opted to go for more expensive tours to make up for what we missed by not doing the land tour.

For Juneau we were also looking at doing five glaciers & the Taku Lodge. This would have been another float plane ride but you had lunch at the Taku Lodge which is across from the hole in the wall glacier. This trip would have taken up a big chunk of our day and we wouldn't have been able to do the Mendenhall Glacier.

Let me say-- the Princess transfers worked like clock work and I would purchase them for future cruises.

Transfers from the airport to the hotel and to the Pier:

The bus ride took around 90 minutes. For best views on the coach/bus sit on the right hand side. We were among the first to arrive on the ship. The check in process went very quickly and we were on board the ship in fifteen minutes.

Transfers from the ship to the airport:

After we disembarked in Vancouver our luggage was waiting for us at the airport. We just had to retrieve our luggage from the secure area and head to the check in desk. The luggage carts were free to use at this airport. The check in desk was kind of strange. There was no place to weigh the luggage. After you received your luggage tags for the flight you than took your bags to another area to scan for security. This was the last time you saw your luggage until you arrived to your finial destination. Than you cleared US Customs prior to boarding your flight.

How long was the trip from the airport to your hotel?

I assume the 90 minutes was from hotel to ship.

Did you like that hotel? and were there places to eat?

any shops near by to purchase soda or water?

After you disembarked the ship, your luggage is at the airport for you to retrieve? (not at the port terminal)

I assume the 90 minutes was from hotel to ship.

Did you like that hotel? and were there places to eat?

any shops near by to purchase soda or water?

After you disembarked the ship, your luggage is at the airport for you to retrieve? (not at the port terminal)

Hi Reba,

I believe the trip was around a half hour. Our driver was giving us a little tour of the area which was nice. He also pulled the bus to a location and stopped and pointed out that Denali was showing so we could take some photos. Our motor coach consisted of cruisers who booked transfers with Princess & HAL. So, we made a stop at the Westmark to drop off the HAL passengers and than we were dropped of at the Captain Cook Hotel.

I assume the 90 minutes was from the hotel to the ship? Yes, the drive time is dependent on the traffic going through the tunnel.

Did you like the hotel? and were there places to eat? Yes, we liked the hotel. There were plenty of places to eat. The Captain Cook Hotel had several restaurants located within the hotel. Make sure you pick up an Alaska Activity Map(free) this will list restaurants, Hotels and other points of interest. There were many dining options within minutes of the Hotel. We wanted to eat at the Glacier Brewhouse and made reservation prior to leaving for our trip. The food we had at the Glacier Brewhouse good and we would definitely eat there again if we were in Anchorage.We ate at the hotel for breakfast.

Any shops near by to purchase soda or water? There was a convenience store located across the street from our hotel. I thought the price for Soda was on the expensive side. I was planning on buying the Princess unlimited soda and more card so I wasn't planning on buying soda. There is also a liquor store located across the street from the hotel.

The Anchorage Police Department is located across the street from the hotel. The hotel consists of several towers.

After you disembarked the ship, your luggage is at the airport for you to retrieve? (not at the port terminal) Yes, for our transfers our luggage was retrieved at the airport and not the port terminal. I am not sure if this changes depending on when your flight left the airport. Our flight was around 2PM. It was really nice not having to collect your luggage at the port and than lug the bags to another collection location to be loaded for the airport.

I hope this helps in your planning--Have a great cruise!

Nicole from the Platinum Studios on board the Coral Princess provided photographic seminars. The times were listed in the Princess Patter. She did an excellent job and her classes were well attended.

Some of the topics covered were camera settings and lighting.

Nicole was also available for questions while sailing through Glacier Bay.

She was one of the best employees we encounter during our cruise.

Archived