Alaska 2014. Seattle to Vancouver best mode of transport?

Groovybusybee

We are booked on the Solstice next year, return trip out of Seattle, 5 adults including one teenager and two OAP's one of which will be a wheelchair user.

We are travelling from the UK and want to extend the trip by either adding an extra week before of after the cruise in Vancouver.

I have been exploring options regarding travel between Seattle and Vancouver and am keen to try train travel, but I have a couple of concerns which I hope you helpful CC's can assist me with?

Trains in the UK only stop very briefly at stations, typically one or two minutes, is this the same in USA/ Canada? I am worried that I won't have enough time to get my mother and all the luggage on board before it starts to depart. Is there any facility that you can pre book which can help you with luggage and wheel chair users to get everyone/thing safely aboard?

Whilst we would really like to take the train as it gives a chance to see more local scenery, I am wondering if a flight may be easier?

Does anyone have any thoughts/ ideas on my logic??

Many thanks in anticipation.

Debbie. :)

We are booked on the Solstice next year, return trip out of Seattle, 5 adults including one teenager and two OAP's one of which will be a wheelchair user.

We are travelling from the UK and want to extend the trip by either adding an extra week before of after the cruise in Vancouver.

I have been exploring options regarding travel between Seattle and Vancouver and am keen to try train travel, but I have a couple of concerns which I hope you helpful CC's can assist me with?

Trains in the UK only stop very briefly at stations, typically one or two minutes, is this the same in USA/ Canada? I am worried that I won't have enough time to get my mother and all the luggage on board before it starts to depart. Is there any facility that you can pre book which can help you with luggage and wheel chair users to get everyone/thing safely aboard?

Whilst we would really like to take the train as it gives a chance to see more local scenery, I am wondering if a flight may be easier?

Does anyone have any thoughts/ ideas on my logic??

Many thanks in anticipation.

Debbie. :)

Hi Debbie:) I have traveled by train from Seattle to Vancouver a couple

times before and it is a lovely ride:). There is an area where you check

your luggage before you get on the train and if you have a "carry on",

that will go with you. You will have plenty of time to board the train.

I have never flown from Seattle to Vancouver so cannot help with that

one...I think it is a very quick flight though. The train ride is about 3.5

hours so I am guessing a flight would be less than 1 hour.

As for the wheelchair? I would talk to the folks who check your regular

luggage about that part....and I am guessing maybe someone on here

would have an answer as well.

Whatever you decide to do? Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Hi Lois,

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

You have put my mind at rest regarding the luggage, I hadn't realised that you checked your luggage in like you would for a flight, we certainly don't have similar facilities in the UK.

I can certainly manage to get Mum on the train if I don't have suitcases etc to also contend with. Looks like we will be able to manage the train journey after all which should please my parents.

What happens regarding crossing the US/Canadian boarder?

Debbie

Hi Lois,

Many thanks for your helpful reply.

You have put my mind at rest regarding the luggage, I hadn't realised that you checked your luggage in like you would for a flight, we certainly don't have similar facilities in the UK.

I can certainly manage to get Mum on the train if I don't have suitcases etc to also contend with. Looks like we will be able to manage the train journey after all which should please my parents.

What happens regarding crossing the US/Canadian boarder?

Debbie

Hi Debbie, yes, you will check your bags before you depart.

As for getting through Customs? ..the last time I took the train

was Sept 2009 so it has been almost 4 years.:eek: I think it is a straignt

run....I think it stops a couple of times to pick up others but

honestly, I don't recall anything except when you reach Vancouver.

You will get your luggage (they take it out of the storage area) and

put it on the sidewalk area and then you will go through customs.

As for the Greyhound bus? I prefer the train:) it is an easy ride

and there is a dining car on it as well.

Hi Debbie,

I'm an ex-brit that now lives in Vancouver and have done the Vancouver-Seattle trip quite a few times by both bus and train. Don't worry the train is nothing like the british system - getting on at Seattle (or Vancouver) is more like an airport experience, including needing to check-in and get a seat assignment - there is plenty of time to board the train, as there are usually lots of people getting on the train in Seattle - I think the last time I took it it was at the Seattle station for a good 20 minutes.

Your main issue is going to be that the train only runs from Seattle to Vancouver twice a day - once early in the morning (7:40 am, IRC) and then once in the evening (6:40p.m.-ish, I think), and you need to be there about 30 minutes (at least) before that time, in order to check-in. If you are coming off a ship, there are really two options: (1) stay in Seattle overnight (I love Seattle - don't miss Pike Place Market, check out the Seattle Art Museum, take in a baseball game) and take the early morning train the next morning, or (2) spend the day in Seattle and take the evening train North (warning, this will mean a late night as it doesn't get to Vancouver till about 11pm, then you have to get through customs/immigration, and the times I have taken it there have been delays on the track (freight trains have priority) and it can easily be midnight before you get out of Vancouver station!).

If you go with option (2), you could get off the ship, go to the King Street Amtrak station to get rid of your luggage (two options, you can ask to store it -there's a charge $3 or so a bag (I think), or can check it in for the train trip - no charge - but if you check it in, you will NOT have access to it until you arrive in Vancouver), then take a taxi back to downtown Seattle to explore for the day, plan to get back to the station at around 5:30 to 6 p.m.

The bus is another option - there are several companies that run bus service. I usually use the Amtrak bus service, which is listed on the Amtrak website, it's usually reasonably priced and it runs several times through out the day. If you use the bus, you will go through customs/immigration at the border, and you have to be able to carry your own bags through the actual customs building.

The flight from SEA to YVR is only about 45 minutes (time for a "complimentary" glass of water - no drinks service, no nibbles), but you would still have to get to Seatac airport from downtown, so there are expenses and waiting time there, and the flight will definitely be the most expensive of the options.

Of all the ways of travelling, I would highly recommend the train - if you can get the times to work for you! It is by far the most scenic and comfortable way to travel between the two cities. When getting a seat assignment make sure you request a window seat on the "water" side - on the left hand side when facing forward. I think it's worth it to spend the extra $20 to go business class, you get priority boarding and disembarking (is that the right word?), more spacious seats and a coupon for use for drink/food at the buffet car. One other hint, the seat pricing is cheaper the earlier you make your reservation (like the airlines, the prices go up if there are only a few seats left - and the train does sell out during peak cruise season days), and sometimes it can be cheaper to sign up on the Amtrak site for their frequent traveller membership and then buy enough points for the trip than pay the higher price for the seat.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of an essay! If you have any specific questions, just let me know. Please do try and get up here to Vancouver, I emigrated here from the UK 18 years ago and I'm really proud of the City - there's nowhere quite like it!!

Thanks for your replies.

I have just had quick look at prices and can't believe how inexpensive, compared to the UK, the train fare is!

It certainly appears to be a very different experience to train travel here. We plan to have a couple of days in Seattle and then a week in Vancouver before flying home.

Thanks Westcoasttech for such a comprehensive response. I think we would go for an early train rather than late at night. Just need to book flights from the UK.

Thanks again. D

We had a group of 8... Rented a van to take us from airport to hotel in Vancouver for about 500 bucks...very easy...no need to worry about schedules...we did not drive, btw..above price includes driver.

Stopped at us/Canada's borde for customs...15 mins tops

Whole trip was less than two hours

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for your replies.

I have just had quick look at prices and can't believe how inexpensive, compared to the UK, the train fare is!

It certainly appears to be a very different experience to train travel here. We plan to have a couple of days in Seattle and then a week in Vancouver before flying home.

Thanks Westcoasttech for such a comprehensive response. I think we would go for an early train rather than late at night. Just need to book flights from the UK.

Thanks again. D

Hi Debbie, I did that early train twice:)...for a 7:40am train I got

to the station about 45 minutes early....

We had a group of 8... Rented a van to take us from airport to hotel in Vancouver for about 500 bucks...very easy...no need to worry about schedules...we did not drive, btw..above price includes driver.

Stopped at us/Canada's borde for customs...15 mins tops

Whole trip was less than two hours

That is about 62.50 per person...so for 5 people that would be about

100.00 per person. Guess it depends on how much they want to spend

on transportation.

We just returned from the 6/07/13 sailing of the Solstice with an additional week after in Vancouver. We took the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver and loved it - very comfortable and relaxing.

As previously noted, there are only two departures per day on the train - we did the morning departure. You can check your luggage at the station and there is plenty of time to board the train and get settled.

I agree that it is worth it to get business class seats. At the time we booked, the cost between coach and business class was small - only about $18-$20 more per ticket. Having a business class ticket allowed us to bypass a really long line for coach seat assignments (in fact we were the only people in line for business class seat assignments). I believe the seats may be a little bigger than in coach. We were also the first passengers let off the train and to the line for customs/immigration and so we were through very quickly.

The seats on the left hand side of the car offer views of the coastline as you travel - very scenic and beautiful.

That is true...but the convenience of having the van and driver waiting for us at the airport, helping with bags and with three people over 70, as well as a ten year old, was well worth it. We were in Vancouver in time to get dinner at a great restaurant ( don't remember name) and a food nights' sleep before boarding the next day...(after sushi and some wandering around town)

Archived