Shore Excursions-Disembarkation Day

kevinsac

I noticed on the Princess web site that on the day of our disembarkation in Osaka, they are offering a half-day tour around town. "For voyages ending in Osaka, this tour is available on board only." It is the only tour offered for those leaving the ship that day; all other shore excursions indicate that they are not available for passengers ending their cruise in Osaka.

Has anyone booked such a tour on the day of disembarkation? I called Princess but the CSR could not offer any insight. Am I correct that they only allow us to book on board to see if last-minute space is available, giving preference to those doing a B2B? At the end of the tour, are we returned to the ship or can they take us to our hotel? What happens to our baggage in the interim?

Anyone with such experience....advice greatly appreciated!

Last spring we booked (on RCCL) the city tour of Los Angeles. We were the first group off the ship and through customs, picked up our luggage and took it out to the bus where it was loaded and we didn't have to worry about it again until we got to the airport, when they dropped us off at our airline. It was about a 3 hour tour, we had a great time - in fact it inspired us to take a land vacation last summer in L.A. Anyway, it was a fun way to spend the time between disembarkation and our flight. Someone from our group was staying in LA longer, they dropped them off at a location at the airport where they could get a cab back to their hotel. Don't know if this helps you or not but this was our experience.

We have done disembarkation city tours a number of times. As the above poster mentioned, your luggage travels with you and they usually drop you at the airport when the tour is over. You book the tour onboard a few days before the cruise is over. There should be plenty of warning in the Patter and at the tour desk. I doubt if B2B cruisers are eligible for the tour because it would not return them to the ship. ;)

We signed up for a city tour of Miami following a cruise. While the excursion desk told us where to go to pick up the tour, they DID NOT tell us to go to the purser's desk and get embarkation tags that would have our luggage off first. Our flight was a late afternoon one and, therefore, the lowest priority in taking off the luggage. Hence, three out of four suitcases were there when we got off, one wasn't and by the time we tracked it down, the tour was gone. Kiss off $70 on that one. Hope this saves someone else from the same problem

Tucker in Texas

Another warning about disembarkation tours. We booked one in FLL. We did get the right tags but this group was either coded yellow 1, yellow 2, or yellow three. We were yellow, 3. We went to the lounge to wait for our color and

number to be called. They announced yellow 1 and then yellow 2 but did not

call yellow 3. We did not think much of it at the time until about 40 minutes

later when they DID announce "last call for yellow 3". By the time we could make it down to collect our luggage, the tour had already left. If I ever do this again, I will start with the the first color 1, and not wait for them to get to 3.

Carol

We did the everglades airboat and flamingo garden tour after our May 28 CB cruise. We had early tags to get off the ship and that went well. On our tour were people who were going to the airport, people who were going to the princess post-cruise hotel (not any hotel, just the one that Princess uses) and some people who were doing a b2b. We and our luggage boarded the bus. We did the tours, then the bus stopped at the hotel to let off two couples. Next we went back to the ship so four couples could go back to the ship. Finally they made three stops at the airport so we could go to the right terminal. We were leaving out of Miami not Ft. Lauderdale so we had the "mixed bus". Our flights could not leave until after 4 PM to sign up for this excursion.

I have done this with different cruise lines and locations. Yes, go to front desk and ensure you have the early ticket to get off as the tour leaves early. It usually will stop at their hotel choice (for those using post-cruise hotel book by cruise line only) and the airport. On some occasions it will go back to the ship for those doing b2b.

These have always been booked while on board and include the price of the transfer to the airport/hotel. If you have pre-paid transfers sometime the price is different check on it.

We found on some of these post cruise excursions that the reason they only sell them on the ship is because they must have a minimum number booked. If they don't, then they will withdraw them. They begin selling them a few days before the end of the cruise and then let you know for sure if they will be going about 24 hours before you disembark. Also, they drop you off at the airport afterwards, have not heard of them taking you to a hotel instead. So you may have to take a taxi from the airport to your hotel. Your luggage does go right along with you on the bus.

• 12 years later...

We are going on our first big ship cruise in May. Ship gets to Dublin the day before disembarkation and there is an Irish Feast listed on the excursions for disembarkation day. I'm told everyone will be off the ship by 11 am and this excursion doesn't start until 6 pm (and goes to 11 pm). The location is outside the city so I'm going to assume that transportation of some kind is included. How unusual is it for an excursion to be offered which doesn't start until well after disembarkation ends and continues well past when nearly all flights have left? Does this sound like something that might leave from and return to the "cruise hotel"?

We are going on our first big ship cruise in May. Ship gets to Dublin the day before disembarkation and there is an Irish Feast listed on the excursions for disembarkation day. I'm told everyone will be off the ship by 11 am and this excursion doesn't start until 6 pm (and goes to 11 pm). The location is outside the city so I'm going to assume that transportation of some kind is included. How unusual is it for an excursion to be offered which doesn't start until well after disembarkation ends and continues well past when nearly all flights have left? Does this sound like something that might leave from and return to the "cruise hotel"?

Try posting your question in the UK board as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=195981

What is your itinerary and ship name?

Are you staying at a hotel in Dublin?

I take it your are disembarking in Dublin?

We're on Celebrity Eclipse, R/T Dublin, going to Belfast, Reykjavík, Akureyri and Lerwick. We are staying at a hotel in Temple Bar pre-cruise and then one night post cruise out by Heuston station. Following morning the plan is to take Irish Rail to Ennis for five nights there and home through Shannon.

We were in Dublin a few years ago and also last October. We've been to Iceland twice by air. This will be the first time by sea.

We're on Celebrity Eclipse, R/T Dublin, going to Belfast, Reykjavík, Akureyri and Lerwick. We are staying at a hotel in Temple Bar pre-cruise and then one night post cruise out by Heuston station. Following morning the plan is to take Irish Rail to Ennis for five nights there and home through Shannon.

We were in Dublin a few years ago and also last October. We've been to Iceland twice by air. This will be the first time by sea.

This is the Princess board.

Try posting your question on the UK board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=683

and the celebrity board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Just for something different, am thinking of doing a disembarkation tour. At least for my cruise, you CAN book and prepay for it ahead of time- like now, 200 days out. The only caveat is that Princess does say that if they do not get enuf people that they will cancel the tour and refund you your money.

The only down side I am seeing here is the luggage situation. I think I will use the ( I forget what it is called-older you know! Grin) program where I put my luggage out the night before the cruise ends and I don't see it until I get to my home airport. Did this recently out of Seattle and it was great!

Pooh

Just for something different, am thinking of doing a disembarkation tour. At least for my cruise, you CAN book and prepay for it ahead of time- like now, 200 days out. The only caveat is that Princess does say that if they do not get enuf people that they will cancel the tour and refund you your money.

The only down side I am seeing here is the luggage situation. I think I will use the ( I forget what it is called-older you know! Grin) program where I put my luggage out the night before the cruise ends and I don't see it until I get to my home airport. Did this recently out of Seattle and it was great!

Pooh

You may be referring to the Luggage Valet Service.

If you do not use the EZCheck program, then your luggage will be on the excursion bus with you.