OK..So I have a GPS..Now What ?

I have been on 3 cruises with my Dad in the past 3 years.And yesterday he comments that " I don't think I have ever taken my GPS out of the box" :rolleyes:

So.I thought it would be fun to take along.But other than monitoring our route,and if the Captain has been dozing off..What things are there to do for a

realatively novice user??

I have no idea what feautures it has,or how advanced it is..DH is is very techno savy,so I have no worries about using it...

Thanks

The most obvious reason that comes to mind is using it as a form of driving directions (to the port, possibly around the ports of call). I really can't answer that well because I don't know who makes it and what model it is.

HTH,

I take my GPS on every cruise..... There are many things you can do with it.

My GPS is a small portable Garmin eTrex Legend. One of the things that is cool to do is to be able to point out and identify small islands you may encounter on your trip. The GPS comes with a world basemap, so ocean travel is no problem.

You can also tell how far away you are from a port of call, and how fast you are going. i always take my laptop with me as weel as GPS Navigation software, so I can track the route of the ship . You can also use the GPS to know where you are at in a foreign port.

Radio

;) ;)

getImage.pl?imgID=39097258-d74f&trans=

Thanks Radio..Sounds fun.Thats what this one is.A Garmin..Don't know what model.We are doing the Eastern,so I should get a good oppurtunity to try it out

on all the Islands we pass.

Can You USB them to a computer to print out a map of the route you chart?

No you can't connect the portable GPS to pc.

You can however connect a gps to your laptop if you use the software and a USB cable....

Radio

;) ;)

27365544-9236-028001E0-.jpg

getImage.pl?imgID=27422208-ab77&trans=

There is not a lot to do with it, but my GPS has a circle island track on the islands of Papeete and Bora Bora, would have completed the circle at Moorea too, but we got stuck in a jewelry store buying tahitian pearls. In other words, it can record where you have been.

It is a cool toy, and mostly appeals only to techy kind of men and a few similar women! ;) :D

jc

Archived