Your Time Dining?

taffy12

So you can request to be seated with others?! Going on a cruise with my DD20 and looking forward to trying the YTD for the first time. The only thing I was worried about was missing out on meeting people. Not that we have such a great track record from our prior cruises :o, but I like the thought of it! It's one of the things that makes cruising unique from other vacations. Since there's just 2 of us I'm hoping it will be easy to be added to another table.

You can request a table for two or a shared table.

Many of the two-tops are very close together so you might as well be eating with the couples next to you.

Sometimes there is a wait in a shared table, especially if you are the first couple at the table.

So you can request to be seated with others?! Going on a cruise with my DD20 and looking forward to trying the YTD for the first time. The only thing I was worried about was missing out on meeting people.

Even if you don't sit at a table with other people, it won't matter because the tables are really close together.

Have any of you met interesting people at dinner whom you have agreed to meet with again, for dinner, drinks, etc? Any made longer-term friends?

We have met a lot of people thru ATD. In fact, we were sitting next to a family and got along really well, when we went the next night to dinner, we requested to sit together. We had to wait a few minutes until the large table cleared, but it was great. We would also see each other around the ship and stop and talk to them or have lunch with them.

Great post. Sums up my feelings exactly.

In addition, I think some people who comment that they have to "rush back" for early seating don't realize that part of the rush is simply dealing with the pressure of having to be on someone else's schedule. They "rush back" because they absolutely can't be late, so they build in time for anything that could go wrong. If the same people had ATD and were merely "aiming" to get to the MDR, they might spend another 30 to 60 minutes in port and would still get to the MDR at 6:00.

I don't understand the "rush back" part. Out of our seven cruises only one time was the ship not getting underway during early dining time. We always choose early assigned and have never once had to rush back. We were already on the ship because we had to be or miss the ship.

I prefer traditional so my waiters can get to know our likes and dislikes. if you are traveling with kids-- traditional works better so they are not missing out on camp activities

ok, this confuses me.

I prefer traditional so my waiters can get to know our likes and dislikes

You can do YTD and get the same waiters for the entire trip and they will know your likes and dislikes. (we did this on our last cruise)

if you are traveling with kids-- traditional works better so they are not missing out on camp activities

You can eat at the exact same time as traditional. if Traditional had you eating at 6:30pm, you can eat at 6:30pm with YTD. how would they miss out on camp activities with YTD?

besides the possibility that there might be a wait (YMMV), there is no difference between the experience of Traditional and YTD.

Your Time Dining:

• You can pick what time you want to eat
  • You can ask for the same waitstaff for the entire trip
  • You can sit alone or with a group
  • You can plan to see the waitstaff sing and dance or choose not to
  • You can eat at different times on different days

This thread is so pleasant to read because everyone is so helpful! (Ya'll may know that is not the case with some threads, where people can be downright snarky, even if others are simply asking for further info.)

That being said, I seem to be more confused in some ways now than I was before I read some of these posts -- no fault of yours -- just information overload, I think, which I need to sort out...

SO --- let me write out what I now think I understand about how ATD works (based on your posts and other info I have gathered from other sources), and you can tell me where I may be right, and where I may be wrong. There are a couple of questions :confused: in the mix, as well, as you will see.

1. You can arrive at the dining room any time it is open.

2. You may have to wait to be seated.

3. You can request any size table.

4. The host will seat you at a large table (if you request one) and then you wait for other people to be seated with you. The host does not ask the people who are waiting, "Would anyone else like to be seated at a large table?" and then seat them all together.

5. You may request to be seated in the area of a server you prefer. This request is always accommodated, without extraordinary wait time.

6. The hostess may choose to seat you in the area of the server you had previously, without you specifically requesting it.

7. You can, presumably, ask NOT to be seated in a particular server's area.

8. The host may choose to seat you with pax you have been seated with before, without a specific request from you.

9. You can enjoy the wait staff singing/dancing/entertainment if you choose to. (How does one do this?) :confused:

10. ATD diners may eat in any dining room they choose (assuming the ship has more than one, which I suppose most do...)

11. The hostess will seat you at the same size table you requested before, unless you ask for a change.

12. If you do have to wait, do you wait by the dining room entrance, or receive a buzzer which will alert you from another part of the ship? :confused:

13. Are two-tops so close together that it would seem rude not to converse with the others couples nearby? :confused:

14. Some of you, at least, have met pleasant table companions at ATD and then made arrangements to dine with them again and/or meet them for other activities while on board.

15. Does the host always ask what size table you want, or do you get whatever is available if you state no preference? :confused:

Anyone who can address any one (or all?) of these points, one by one, and say "yes/true/correct" or "nope! but here's the real story", please do so! I would be very grateful!

I hope I am not "overloading" you with questions!

10. ATD diners may eat in any dining room they choose (assuming the ship has more than one, which I suppose most do...)

You are correct in that most ships have two dining rooms..But, no, ATD is only in one of the dining rooms. From what I've read, it's usually on the upper level of only one of the dining rooms.

I will do my best to answer your questions that I know

You can arrive at the dining room any time it is open. (YES)

2. You may have to wait to be seated. (YES)

5. You may request to be seated in the area of a server you prefer. This request is always accommodated, without extraordinary wait time. (wait time may vary but basically YES)

7. You can, presumably, ask NOT to be seated in a particular server's area. (YES)

9. You can enjoy the wait staff singing/dancing/entertainment if you choose to. (How does one do this?) :confused: (YES. They do this at specific times. I dont know the exact times but others here do)

10. ATD diners may eat in any dining room they choose (assuming the ship has more than one, which I suppose most do...) (NO. Typically 1 dining room is for early and Late and the other is for ATD)

12. If you do have to wait, do you wait by the dining room entrance, or receive a buzzer which will alert you from another part of the ship? :confused: (YES. You get a pager and it will alert you when your table is readY)

13. Are two-tops so close together that it would seem rude not to converse with the others couples nearby? :confused: (They are pretty close)

14. Some of you, at least, have met pleasant table companions at ATD and then made arrangements to dine with them again and/or meet them for other activities while on board. (YES)

15. Does the host always ask what size table you want, or do you get whatever is available if you state no preference? :confused: (They will ask how many you are. If you want to sit with others, you have to let them know)

It is a lot easier for a family of 4 to do any time then it will be for a family of 8. So when you are reading the reviews compare apples to apples. read regarding the families of 4. there are more tables for 4 then there are any other tables.

Very true! We've done YTD with 2, 4 & 7 people. Overall, we found with YTD that it took longer to be served after sitting down. Summary is as follows:

2 persons

Never more than 10 min wait, but might as well been sitting with the people next to us. The tables were very close and service was slow, almost like they waited for the tables next to us to get full before they took orders and then served everyone at the same time.

4 persons

Never more than 20 min wait. Same as above for sitting close and service slow.

7 persons

Average wait was approximately 25 minutes and 1 time for over 1 hour on formal night. They gave us a pager and we waited in the ship lobby. We did have the same table every night, so that was nice and once we sat down, the service was faster, more like TD.

YTD is the best. I have never waited more than 15 minutes for a table.

Mind you, we normally go to dinner between 7 and 9, so maybe there is a wait at 6:00 pm, I really don't know. I love the flexability of it all, and I have requested the same wait staff at YTD. If I find a waiter I like, I write down their name and request them every night for dinner--that is when there may be a wait, but it doesn't matter to me, as I am on vacation and have nothing but time on my hands :)

Try it, I think you will enjoy it.

I will do my best to answer your questions that I know

You can arrive at the dining room any time it is open. (YES)

2. You may have to wait to be seated. (YES)

5. You may request to be seated in the area of a server you prefer. This request is always accommodated, without extraordinary wait time. (wait time may vary but basically YES)

7. You can, presumably, ask NOT to be seated in a particular server's area. (YES)

9. You can enjoy the wait staff singing/dancing/entertainment if you choose to. (How does one do this?) :confused: (YES. They do this at specific times. I dont know the exact times but others here do)

10. ATD diners may eat in any dining room they choose (assuming the ship has more than one, which I suppose most do...) (NO. Typically 1 dining room is for early and Late and the other is for ATD)

12. If you do have to wait, do you wait by the dining room entrance, or receive a buzzer which will alert you from another part of the ship? :confused: (YES. You get a pager and it will alert you when your table is readY)

13. Are two-tops so close together that it would seem rude not to converse with the others couples nearby? :confused: (They are pretty close)

14. Some of you, at least, have met pleasant table companions at ATD and then made arrangements to dine with them again and/or meet them for other activities while on board. (YES)

15. Does the host always ask what size table you want, or do you get whatever is available if you state no preference? :confused: (They will ask how many you are. If you want to sit with others, you have to let them know)

Thanks for all the help, hftmrock!

So sorry, but I thought of another question! :eek: :o

What is the story regarding reservations for YTD? I have heard they can be made... How does that work? And if you make a reservation, do you simply walk in and sit at your table, or do you still wait to be seated by the host? Can you treat ATD like fixed seating by making one call, and reserving a table for a specific time for the entire cruise? (One might want to do this because the regular fixed seating times might not please them...)

Thanks again, folks!

Have been reading this (helpful and pleasant! Yes, Seagoing Mom!) thread with great interest.

We have always done TD, late seating and loved it -- our experience has ALWAYS been very positive and enjoyable -- good food, wait staff, table companions. However, in the spirit of trying new things, I would like to try YTD, but have been a little reluctant. :o

But you all have allayed my anxiety, and I am going to choose YTD when I book my January 2014 cruise.

Thank you!:)

So sorry, but I thought of another question! :eek: :o

What is the story regarding reservations for YTD? I have heard they can be made... How does that work? And if you make a reservation, do you simply walk in and sit at your table, or do you still wait to be seated by the host? Can you treat ATD like fixed seating by making one call, and reserving a table for a specific time for the entire cruise? (One might want to do this because the regular fixed seating times might not please them...)

Thanks again, folks!

I dont think any reservations can be made. you want to go to dinner at a certain time, just show up. Yes you have to be seated by the host. You cant reserve a table in fixed seating either. you will have the time on your card and you go at that time. I dont think you can reserve either way (except for specialty restaurants.) If you have ATD and want to go at the same exact time every day... just go. Its as flexible or rigid as you make it. You can go at 7:43pm every single night by just showing up.

It will be marked on your SS card. The table # will be x'ed out and it will be noted that you have ATD.

On your S&S card, the table number isn't x'ed out. The card will have the Dining Room (if there is only one DR, then it will show what level ATD is on), and instead of a table number, the card will either show Anytime Dining or 777.

I've done ATD three times and have found we prefer traditional (early) because we have found the service consistently better. Specifically on all 3 cruises with ATD our food would arrive cool and the meal times were quite lengthy waiting for service.

That said I never waiting for a table in all three cruises, 19 dinners all sat right away.

Re the tables for 2. They are really awkward. You're so close that you can hear (very easily) the conversation at the neighboring table but you're technically not at their table. So do you join the conversation so you're not just eavesdropping? Or is that rude since you're not at their table? Very uncomfortable to me and fwiw we stuck with "eavesdropping" although it was mainly trying to tune them out so we could have our own conversation. We actually preferred to sit at a table for 4 to avoid this scenario and that worked out better.

I never thought I would like traditional dining but was forced to try it when we took a last minute cruise and it has made our cruises more enjoyable. But that's US. That's why they offer both choices to accommodate all tastes.

But one thing I do greatly prefer about ATD is that its possible to time your meals to avoid the dancing waiters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived