Speciality restaurants solo?

Luvsprincess

Has anyone gone to a speciality restaurant for dinner solo? I feel kind of awkward....

I have not eaten solo but I have seen people eat at specialty restaurants by themselves.

Another option is maybe join your roll call and if you meet a family or someone else that is going solo, you could all go as a group and eat at a specialty restaurant.

I always cruise with my wife so I have no experience solo in a speciality restaurant. But do travel a lot solo I know it is often a pain to go to a restaurant by yourself.

However, I would have absolutely no problem eating in any speciality restaurant on Princess solo. None at all.

I have eaten solo a couple of times in specialty restaurants. I just tell them that I don't need to stay 2 hours. Usually in 1 hour I'm out of there. Btw this is on Royal Caribbean, but I don't think it makes any difference. Just tell them you don't want to get stuck there for 2 hours or more.

Last year on both the Ruby Princess and Allure of the Seas I dined in all of the specialty restaurants solo, at lunch and dinner. Never had a problem, and received the most amazing attentive service. I would do it again without hesitation and plan on doing so again this December on my Royal Princess B2B. If you need something to occupy your time between courses maybe bring a book to read or something unobtrusive. The restaurant interior lighting in the evening is lower and something bright like a e-reader may be unappreciated by those around you. I always took pictures of the courses with my iPhone without needing a flash. Have a great time and go for it! :D

I almost always eat alone in any of the land based restaurants I feel like trying. Because of that I have absolutely no problem eating alone in either the MDR or any speciality restaurant on a ship. I always take my iPad with me to keep me occupied.

I sail solo (cruising four or five times a year) and have little interest in dining with strangers so I have plenty of experience dining solo in all the different venues.

I go to the specialty restaurants at least twice a week and always have a good time - I am never made to feel awkward and usually get service that appears to be more attentive than to larger tables. If you like the look of the menu and are willing to pay the surcharge, go and enjoy.

I always take a good book as my companion - without something to occupy the time when not eating, I suppose it could be awkward dining alone.

A tip for dining solo in the HC - take a book and a jacket or sweater, wander around until you locate a suitable table - two tops are in demand and I don't like to occupy a large table when someone else might need it - stake out 'your' table, get some water and tea/coffee too, open the napkin and set the cutlery - then you can go to the food with a reasonable expectation that your table will be waiting for you when you come back with your plate.

That works for MUTS too - take a book and an extra garment to put on your lounger so you don't lose it when you go for popcorn, especially if you've snagged a good location!

I've dined solo in the specialty venues. While I don't want to be there for hours I also don't want to feel rushed. When you're solo the whole thing goes a little faster. I usually ask them to not send in my whole order at once. I want to control the pacing and don't want to just bulldozer the food in. This works well for me. On the QM2 I was seated at table next to a guy who was also dining solo. We became friends and we hung out in the evenings after dinner. I also usually bring a book, too. :)

25+ years ago I decided to go to one of the nicer? restaurants here in town. Evidently the waiter decided I had three other people with me as the courses came so slowly. In an attempt to speed things up, I took the newspaper out of my briefcase and began to read it, turning the pages rather noisily. It didn't take long before I was able to finish my dinner. I never went back. Of course this was well before e-readers, which, now, I always take my iPad with me.

As has been posted, never feel awkward dining alone.

Has anyone gone to a speciality restaurant for dinner solo? I feel kind of awkward....

I've dined solo at the Crown Grill on the Caribbean Princess and the (new) Royal Princess. I had no problem at all and totally enjoyed each experience.

Do you go to land-based restaurants alone? Do you feel uncomfortable at those restaurants? It's really no difference (to me).

I guess I would need to know more about what exactly makes you feel awkward. -- Hopefully without getting too personal.

I'll bet your don't feel "awkward" dining solo at land based restaurants.

There's little to no difference. Many ship "specialty" restaurants have counter service, too.

Jump right in, the service is fine.:p

Archived