Tipping in specialty restaurants

jawsbad

Just got back and ate in 2 of the and tipped $20 each time for the 2 of us. It's kind of hard not to given the service levels.

Agree with you ... rather hard NOT to tip when the service has been great!

We don't do it because we have to ... but because we WANT to. :)

LuLu

~~~~

I will start with the preface that I don't eat specialty dining, so it doesn't apply to me. But the argument against reducing the daily pool (that it affects breakfast and lunch work as well) doesn't make sense since the waiters in specialty dining don't lay on their bunks 18 hours a day.

I don't think that anyone said anything about reducing anything. They asked the question about tipping in the specialty restaurant.

Why does reducing the tips always get brought up no matter if the question was asked or not.

Hi, I totally agree that tipping for specialty restaurants is voluntary. I offer my perspective as one who has worked in service jobs. When I choose to spend on a luxury service, I factor in a tip for good or great service. 20% of the $45 cost/meal/person is $9.00. If I couldn't pay that I would probably not be on the cruise. I enjoy good service and like to recognize those who enjoy giving it. It adds to my sense of satisfaction. Just a thought?

Since those in the specialty restaurants get a tip from the $45 charge, I only leave $5 per person.

I agree - the Tip is included in the $ 45.00 additional charge. So $ 10.00 for two is a nice additional tip for waiters who work less hard than the waiters in the MDR (Much slower service and less tables).

Looking at the thread list, I think I might be the first poster from outside northern America. So here goes with a completely other-world thought...........

I understand the idea of tipping customarily in the US. You guys choose not to pay your servers a dramatically good basic wage and expect good service, which you reward with a bung.

On the other hand, Celebrity clearly state in their policy that gratuities are included in the cover charge for speciality dining. It's supposed to be an up-market venue and I'm paying anything up to $45 a head on top of the price of my cabin, so TBH I'm expecting pretty good service without much question. What do they need to do to justify an extra tip?

I'll tell you. Last time out, the service in Silk Harvest was beyond excellent, they provided good food advice, prompt but not pushy service, kind attention and a nice smile. They recognised us immediately on a second visit and were keen to steer us to try something different, They even threw in a discount on the cover charge. Result - a tip.

In contrast, Murano was acceptable service for a venue of it's type but nothing special. The chef (a delightful Scottish lady) came out to say hello to the patrons and on balance, I might have been starting to formulate a plan to leave a decent tip. But nay! At the end of the meal we were presented with a polite request to pay $5 a head tip. Result - in a moment of weakness they got the $10 but on reflection, got marked down on the ship's survey. Tipping is my decision, no-one else's.

Please forgive my bluntness, but I don't know if it's that at the other side of the pond folks are just unaccustomed to good service in high-end places, or maybe that they are so accustomed to leaving money on the table that it's almost a reflex.

A cruise ship is a cruise ship. so do what you will. But in Europe, understand that people get a living wage and when we have the pleasure of welcoming you to our wonderful continent, please tip generously only for people going above and beyond the call of duty.

Looking at the thread list, I think I might be the first poster from outside northern America. So here goes with a completely other-world thought...........

I understand the idea of tipping customarily in the US. You guys choose not to pay your servers a dramatically good basic wage and expect good service, which you reward with a bung.

On the other hand, Celebrity clearly state in their policy that gratuities are included in the cover charge for speciality dining. It's supposed to be an up-market venue and I'm paying anything up to $45 a head on top of the price of my cabin, so TBH I'm expecting pretty good service without much question. What do they need to do to justify an extra tip?

I'll tell you. Last time out, the service in Silk Harvest was beyond excellent, they provided good food advice, prompt but not pushy service, kind attention and a nice smile. They recognised us immediately on a second visit and were keen to steer us to try something different, They even threw in a discount on the cover charge. Result - a tip.

In contrast, Murano was acceptable service for a venue of it's type but nothing special. The chef (a delightful Scottish lady) came out to say hello to the patrons and on balance, I might have been starting to formulate a plan to leave a decent tip. But nay! At the end of the meal we were presented with a polite request to pay $5 a head tip. Result - in a moment of weakness they got the $10 but on reflection, got marked down on the ship's survey. Tipping is my decision, no-one else's.

Please forgive my bluntness, but I don't know if it's that at the other side of the pond folks are just unaccustomed to good service in high-end places, or maybe that they are so accustomed to leaving money on the table that it's almost a reflex.

A cruise ship is a cruise ship. so do what you will. But in Europe, understand that people get a living wage and when we have the pleasure of welcoming you to our wonderful continent, please tip generously only for people going above and beyond the call of duty.

I've never been asked for an additional tip any time I've gone to a specialty restaurant on any cruise line and if I were asked, then the answer would be no.

One earns a tip, they don't request it.

For me, same goes when a company puts an auto tip (15% or 18%), I don't add more. They would probably have gotten a much better tip from me if there were to just allow me to put in the figure I want to tip. Many cruise lines put a 15% or 18% auto tip on spa treatments - I usually give 20%, so by putting the auto tip on they lose 5% or 2% - it is just a pet peeve of mine.

It is not said out loud, but clearly inferred when they give the bill if you purchase a drink. It is clear as day on that bill from US States Speciality dining they are expecting a tip. It is mentioned twice.

It is not said out loud, but clearly inferred when they give the bill if you purchase a drink. It is clear as day on that bill from US States Speciality dining they are expecting a tip. It is mentioned twice.

Just wondering, maybe I'm just dense and don't get what they are saying, but how do they infer that there should be a tip? Yes, it might have a line for a tip on the bill, but that doesn't mean that you must give one. Where and how was it mentioned twice. I go out a lot here and no one has ever said or inferred that I must put a tip on the bill or leave a cash tip.

The money you are paying in the specialty restaurant is the tip. Those waiters don't get tips like the waiters in the other dining venues. You are not paying for the food, you are paying the tip which they split so you don't have to tip extra.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on whether there it is proper to tip extra at the specialty restuarant or not. The fact is that both sides are right!!

The bottom line is that a portion of the specialty restuarant service charge goes towards a tip. So everyone who dines there has covered what I consider the minimum tip in automatic service charge fashion and can rest assured they are not stiffing the staff if they leave nothing more. Beyond that the answer is simple: If the service moves you to leave additional then do. If it doesn't then don't. It is a personal decision based on your own customs, beliefs and finances.

The money you are paying in the specialty restaurant is the tip. Those waiters don't get tips like the waiters in the other dining venues. You are not paying for the food, you are paying the tip which they split so you don't have to tip extra.

This is absolutely incorrect. Celebrity has confirmed on these boards, and to me in emails, that only a portion of the service charge goes towards a gratuity pool for those working in the specialty restaurants. The remainder goes to the cruise line for costs and profits. The split between the two has been a subject of speculation and has never clearly been disclosed.

I agree - the Tip is included in the $ 45.00 additional charge. So $ 10.00 for two is a nice additional tip for waiters who work less hard than the waiters in the MDR (Much slower service and less tables).

When a 15% tip is included on a $ 45.00 surcharge restaurant, that means the staff get about $ 6.00 PP everyone who dines... not too bad in the cruise business.

To those who add $ 10.00 PP good for you, but where I come from a 40% + tip per person is away nuts.

It's you money but wow!

MonopolyMoneyGuy.jpg

So exactly who/how did you get asked for an extra tip? Must have been uncomfortable?

! At the end of the meal we were presented with a polite request to pay $5 a head tip. Result - in a moment of weakness they got the $10 but on reflection, got marked down on the ship's survey.

Horrifying, if you ask me. I wouldn't have waited for the survey I would have called over the maitre d on the spot, and considered writing a note to the Hotel director.

So i learned about prepaid gratuities and speciality restaurants.

But what about blu? We chose select dining, therefor have prepaid gratuities but we ALWAYS go to blu - no MDR etc.

So is the prepaid tip spread through MDR ppl and stateroom attendent?

Last cruise we just left the prepaids and thought everyone would be happy and rewarded. I want to have blu staff receive tips and also our stateroom attendant. PLUS it would be nice if ppl behind the scenes get some reward (like the ones washing our towles, bedclothes etc.).

I don't want to have my gratuties been spread in the MDR instead, that would be unfair.

So i learned about prepaid gratuities and speciality restaurants.

But what about blu? We chose select dining, therefor have prepaid gratuities but we ALWAYS go to blu - no MDR etc.

So is the prepaid tip spread through MDR ppl and stateroom attendent?

Last cruise we just left the prepaids and thought everyone would be happy and rewarded. I want to have blu staff receive tips and also our stateroom attendant. PLUS it would be nice if ppl behind the scenes get some reward (like the ones washing our towles, bedclothes etc.).

I don't want to have my gratuties been spread in the MDR instead, that would be unfair.

Blu is anytime dining, but you don't have to sign up for "select" and pre-pay your gratuities. You just choose either early or late dining, then go anytime you like.

If you did prepay gratuities, they go to the wait staff in Blu as well as stateroom attendant and others who work for you behind the scenes.

Blu is anytime dining, but you don't have to sign up for "select" and pre-pay your gratuities. You just choose either early or late dining, then go anytime you like.

If you did prepay gratuities, they go to the wait staff in Blu as well as stateroom attendant and others who work for you behind the scenes.

We have pre-paid with our AQ + Select dining. We will often dine in Blu but might choose MDR a couple of nights. I have no idea what happens with the charges when we do this.

Last time we joined a couple in the Select MDR. I understand that we may have been asked to join a fixed dining time in the MDR.

My head hurts ....:confused: so I have decided to not worry about it.

My head hurts ....:confused: so I have decided to not worry about it.

You're absolutely right. Whether you pre-pay or they are automatically taken out of your seapass account on a daily basis, I wouldn't worry about it either. You just have to trust Celebrity to work it out and distribute it accordingly.

I know on my last cruise, we were in a suite and had an assigned table in the MDR, but we ate in Blu with friends every night. The Maître 'D did annotate on his spreadsheet our suite stateroom number.

Ah so i don't need prepaid gratuties when i want to eat in blu? So i could change my booking to late or early dining, whatever it doesn't matter cause i wont use MDR.

Please confirm if this is correct!

Yes, you do not need to pre-pay gratuities in BLU, but do remember that it is not open for lunch. You may not eat in the MDR for lunch, but you might eat at the buffet, or the Aqua Spa cafe, or the hamburger grill. You might get sweets from the Cafe al Bacio in the afternoon, or ice cream from the buffet, or sushi late in the afternoon. The MDR tip pool extends to all those who serve you in the various venues outside the MDR dinner hour.

Ah so i don't need prepaid gratuties when i want to eat in blu? So i could change my booking to late or early dining, whatever it doesn't matter cause i wont use MDR.

Please confirm if this is correct!

Confirmed. Blu is anytime dining, but when you book AQ you just select either early or late dining and don't have to pre-pay gratuities. You can use the MDR for lunch during sea days, though.

Now things getting clearer. So i could cancel select dining. That way the gratuities would be payed on a per day basis from our on board account? And i could cancel them to have it spread through the ppl i want... that's my main point.

I want that the blu staff and the stateroom attendant get the most of it. We don't go for lunch (we always leave the ship) and the few times i use MDR i might want to tip the person that does something.

I have the fear that splitting the "automatic tip" between all is unfair as the blu staff has to do the most for it and mdr would get the same without any higher effort.

Understandable point? I know it's the system but ... well, i think i dont like it.

Now things getting clearer. So i could cancel select dining. That way the gratuities would be payed on a per day basis from our on board account? And i could cancel them to have it spread through the ppl i want... that's my main point.

I want that the blu staff and the stateroom attendant get the most of it. We don't go for lunch (we always leave the ship) and the few times i use MDR i might want to tip the person that does something.

I have the fear that splitting the "automatic tip" between all is unfair as the blu staff has to do the most for it and mdr would get the same without any higher effort.

Understandable point? I know it's the system but ... well, i think i dont like it.

You could change as you outline. Then the daily charge is applied.

Select or Pre-pay vs Daily charge --- In each scenario your intent that blu staff and stateroom attendant get the most of it is already happening so your extra hassle achieves very little.

If you cancel the charge then your cash tips are fed into the same pool anyway. In that case they may be less clearly allocated to Blu staff unless you give them whilst at Blu. You will see your Blu staff working in the buffet at various times also.

(Your attempt to leave the ship during a sea day may raise some concern)

If you wish give a little extra to Blu staff (which get split via their local Blu tip pool) and your attendant as a real tip if/when they do something extra.

Imagine...after cancelling the charges and then finding at 10:30pm you have fallen behind your daily tipping budget so need to find a way to catch up. Your cruise will seem short enough without distractions

Honestly I think it is just extra hassle.

I don't like the system either so I always pre-pay and get on with my cruise.

My view, let the system work for you rather than trying to fight it.

So exactly who/how did you get asked for an extra tip? Must have been uncomfortable?

We were presented with a pre-printed card, which was "provided" so that customers could offer a gratuity and $5 a head was suggested.

TBH, I was a bit caught off guard, because we had had the same thing in Blu at dinner a couple of times (but never at breakfast). In Blu, we were very politely approached by the assistant MD, who said that because we were in suite not in AQ, it was standard policy to ask and of course, it was utterly our decision to say yay or nay. No problem, things had been fine, we were taking advantage of a venue that strictly speaking wasn't guaranteed to us and hey, the $5 being asked for was the same as the cover charge at Bistro on Five for a crepe.

So at Murano I was off my guard, signed the form and only later that evening found myself grizzling quietly over a whiskey in the bar. No discomfort at all, it was perfectly timed and executed, just like all the best schemes to get you to part with cash.

You could change as you outline. Then the daily charge is applied.

Select or Pre-pay vs Daily charge --- In each scenario your intent that blu staff and stateroom attendant get the most of it is already happening so your extra hassle achieves very little.

If you cancel the charge then your cash tips are fed into the same pool anyway. In that case they may be less clearly allocated to Blu staff unless you give them whilst at Blu. You will see your Blu staff working in the buffet at various times also.

(Your attempt to leave the ship during a sea day may raise some concern)

If you wish give a little extra to Blu staff (which get split via their local Blu tip pool) and your attendant as a real tip if/when they do something extra.

Imagine...after cancelling the charges and then finding at 10:30pm you have fallen behind your daily tipping budget so need to find a way to catch up. Your cruise will seem short enough without distractions

Honestly I think it is just extra hassle.

I don't like the system either so I always pre-pay and get on with my cruise.

My view, let the system work for you rather than trying to fight it.

Wise words, thank you!

Tipping cash every time i get serviced (or like from time to time, stateroom attendent would get a bigger tip at the begging of the trip and a smaller at the end, blu every day or second day etc.) would be most satisfiying for me. I know i can extra-tip and already did it. I was just wondering how everything works.

So in theory i could cancel pre paid and when onboard i could cancel the daily charge to cash tip. But the cash tip goes into the same pool anyway? Aren't the waiters etc. allowed to keep the cash or what?

And what do you mean by "falling behind my daily budget" - will that raise attention? :D I agree, i don't want to tip like 5 times a day AND tracking how much i tip not to fall behind the $12,50. But i wont care if i tip $10 on one day instead of $12,50 cause i might tip $20, too.

Well i think it really will be too much hassle and just leave it being prepaid, just like the last time.

I just wonder: if you cancel the daily charge and don't tip cash - besides you are a hog, will staff get to know this or do ppl get through with this?

Archived