Review: Splendour of the Seas 6/15/13

Next port of call was Santorini, Greece. This turned out to be another favorite port. We would have loved to have had more time here. We arrived at noon and left at eight o'clock. This was our only tender port. All cruise lines must use the ports tenders due to local unions. We had a total of four ships in port this day.

We chose to do a tour of the town of Oia with a stop along the way at a local winery. This turned out to be a very nice tour.

Those who were on tours were given priority tendering before they allowed the other passengers to disembark.

Leaving the Splendour on the way to catch the bus for our tour.

DSC00646_zps927fda95.jpg

The town of Fira which is the main town on the island of Santorini and where the cruise ships drop anchor below.

DSC00644_zps6eac8ee1.jpg

A stop at the local winery.

DSC03358_zps3b0a7e18.jpg

Wine tasting. We thought that the wine was just "okay" but nothing that we would have purchased. The views were the best part of this stop.

DSC03363_zps556b531b.jpg

A view of three of the ships anchored in the caldera taken from the winery.

DSC03359_zps0efb2c8c.jpg

Views from the winery.

DSC00658_zps8df8e920.jpg

Back to Fira Santorini where the ships were anchored below. We decided to have a late lunch/early dinner at this place. Good choice. I asked our tour guide and this was the place that she suggested.

DSC00688_zps726efade.jpg

The food here was outstanding as were the views. I only wish that we could have stayed for the sunset which was spectacular that day but we had to be back on the ship by 7:30.

DSC00687_zps22ca4ed0.jpg

DSC00685_zps57cd35a6.jpg

The views from Fira are spectacular.

DSC00689_zpse9b7641c.jpg

Fira Santorini, Greece

There are three ways up or down from the tender area.

1. Tram that holds 36 people at a time.

2. Walk up or down the trail which I was told takes about 30 minutes

3. Ride a donkey.

We chose to ride the tram down. We received a ticket from our tour operator as part of our tour price. No way would I ride the donkey. We smelled them before we saw them. I also would not want to walk as you are on the same path as the donkey's and I understand that they leave little presents up and down the walking path. We were a good ways away from the walking path and could smell them. Not sure I would want to be that close up and personal with them.

We had four ships in port so we watched our time as I have read here on CC that the wait times could be up to an hour and a half wait to ride the tram down. We only waited about ten minutes top to get on the tram.

DSC00690_zps2457a823.jpg

DSC00692_zps68cc1fc0.jpg

View from the tram down.

DSC00693_zps03efd478.jpg

Lower part of the donkey and walking trail

DSC00702_zps3bb1aa0f.jpg

This gives you an idea of just how far the walk would be up or down the mountain.

DSC00700_zpsb3b6d608.jpg

The Fira Old Port area

DSC00696_zpsa862de57.jpg

For this visit our main focus was a trip to the Acropolis. We booked a city highlight tour with a stop at the Acropolis. I booked the earliest tour available and after seeing the crowds at the Acropolis as we were leaving around 1:00, I'm glad that I did. It was busy when we arrived but crazy busy when we left. There were five cruise ships in port and the main focus of this port of call is always a visit to the Acropolis.

Arriving and taking a photo of the Acropolis from the bus parking lot. We were getting ready to start the walk up. The following photos were taken on the walk up to the entrance of the Acropolis.

DSC00735_zps66177ebe.jpg

DSC00736_zpsb09d3ab9.jpg

DSC00737_zps91a92422.jpg

DSC00739_zps7e86fcf5.jpg

Here is an example of the crowds and lines as we were making our way up the Acropolis. This was light compared to what I saw when we were leaving a few hours later.

DSC00742_zps91f03ee9.jpg

I have a lot more photos in my photos so I will only post a few.

Parthenon.

DSC00754_zpsf06f798b.jpg

DSC00753_zps44d964e8.jpg

The Erechtheion

DSC00749_zps9a47da0b.jpg

The Porch of the Caryatids.

DSC03465_zps75dcb8db.jpg

DSC00757_zps23c07033.jpg

Having been on the same sailing, loved your pictures and review. My review is posted on the Reviews Board.

My children were in 8011, across the hall from you. We also stayed across the canal from you in Venice at the Hotel Gardena. I did have the roast beef sandwich at the Park Cafe a couple of times. Announcements didn't bother me ( turned off in our cabin) and we were fortunate with no smoking issues.

Sorry we didn't meet. Met one couple from the roll call at lunch in the MDR.

We did take the port shuttle and it was very convenient .

Glad you enjoyed the cruise. Thanks for your help in the planning.

Our last port of call was Katakolon Greece. The main importance of this port is a visit to the home of the first Olympic games in the town of Olympia. We decided for this port that we would not book an excursion and make it more of a ship day. We used this more as a lazy day to rest and take it easy. Visiting Olympia did not interest at all.

We did leave the ship to have lunch at a little Greek cafe on the waterfront and then walked around for about an hour before heading back to the ship. This was the only port where it was really HOT. 95 degrees that day with a hot sun shining down.

DSC03481_zps589a9cc9.jpg

DSC03479_zps2c8a43e2.jpg

DSC00805_zps2bf97c83.jpg

DSC00804_zpsed70847d.jpg

Splendour of the Seas docked in Katakolon

DSC00802_zps1045b059.jpg

We arrived back to Venice and the ship was ready to debark the guests who chose to carry their own luggage off of the ship by 7:00 AM. We were part of that crowd. We were off the ship in a matter of minutes. Guests doing the self debarkation debark the ship on deck one.

There is no customs or immigration in this port. Once we left the ship, our driver picked us up at the terminal to take us back to Marco Polo airport. We had a 10:55 direct flight back to Atlanta on Delta. Marco Polo is a small airport but it was busy. We were lucky to have booked Business class so we were able to skip the long check in lines. Security was basically the same as we have here in the states.

The only place that we had to show our passport was once we were ready to head to the gate to board the flight. Quick and easy.

The flight home was about ten and a half hours. Uneventful.

We also had a very short wait to clear customs and immigration at the Atlanta airport.

All in all it was an outstanding trip. The main reason that we enjoyed this trip so much was the ports involved. Venice, Dubrovnik and Santorini were outstanding. The other ports were nice but did not stand out like the other three.

We have decided that we will stick to Celebrity for our next few cruises. We just saw more changes or cutbacks if you will on RCI since our last cruise which was on the Jewel in April of 2012. I know that all cruise lines make cuts but Celebrity is still new to us. Also, the things that we found better on Celebrity for us is the smoking policy, very few announcements, overall better food and fewer kids. We will be coming back to Europe next June on the Equinox for 13 nights and will visit some of the above ports again.

Some of the areas that stood out on the Splendour. The ship itself. It was well cared for which I have come to expect from RCI and the new enhancements were very nice. The crew was outstanding. Always said hello and had a smile. The shore excursions were very organized and always left on time. No major complaints and nothing that would keep us from having a great time. I would cruise this ship again. She was perfect for this itinerary.

If I can answer any questions for anyone, please feel free to ask. Thanks for taking the time to read my review.:)

DSC00908_zps4530499c.jpg

Very nice review, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures with us.

How crowded was the Centrum during special events? We were on Rhapsody in May and found that the Centrum was far too crowded for comfort during most of the events held there - not enough seats by a long shot.

Many thanks for your review of the ports. Did you take ships tours for your excursions (except for Katakolon)? For the ports where you docked, did RCI charge for the port shuttles if you we're not booked on a tour, and if so, do you remember what the cost was?

RCI is offering shuttles in Corfu and Dubrovnik.

As for Corfu: Take the free shuttle to the harbor exit. There´s a public shuttle bus taking you into town for app. 1.50 Euros one way.

As for Dubrovnik: Get some Kuna at the exchange and buy bus tickets at the kiosk next to it. The bus stop is right at the street. Busses are getting you to the Pile gate. Bus tickets are 10 or 12 kuna per single ride (a bit more than 1 Euro). On the left side facing the Pile gate there´s a drugstore called DM which also sells water for a very cheap price.

Santorini: The donkeys are only going uphill. Downhill you have to walk (if you don´t use the cable car). And I do not recommend walking as it´s pretty slippery (and dangerous).

steamboats

Very nice review, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures with us.

How crowded was the Centrum during special events? We were on Rhapsody in May and found that the Centrum was far too crowded for comfort during most of the events held there - not enough seats by a long shot.

Thanks Jean. At times the Centrum could be crowded but that was more for the 70's party than the aerial acts.

Many thanks for your review of the ports. Did you take ships tours for your excursions (except for Katakolon)? For the ports where you docked, did RCI charge for the port shuttles if you we're not booked on a tour, and if so, do you remember what the cost was?

You're welcome.

We booked all excursions through RCI. As mentioned in Katakolon, we decided not to do any excursions as Olympia did not interest us. There are shuttles running. Cost was $10.00 I remember correctly. We never used them due to tours booked in other ports.

Also in Dubrovnik they were taking the euro and U.S dollar. Of course as of today Durbrovnik is now part of the European union.

I kept my Compass and will try to get them scanned and posted.

You will have a great time. Great itinerary and a great ship and crew. :)

Thanks for the review.

Our first RCI cruise was aboard Splendour in the fall of 2007. We had a very similar itinerary except we went to Ephesus and you went to Athens. Many of your pictures brought back fond memories. Dubrovnik is one of those surprises you get on almost every cruise where a port I never would have visited if it hadn't been on an itinerary we chose for other reasons becomes one of my favorite places. That cruise is easily in my top tier of favorite cruises. Obviously our cruise was well before the 2011 refit and we thought Splendour was a great ship then. If it is possible to beat Venice for a sail away, I would love to see it because it would have to be something truly remarkable.

Archived