Nice/St. Paul de Vence - Which to Visit on Saturday/Sunday?

MalibuCA

My husband and I will be docked in Monte Carlo overnight on the Crystal Serenity in April 2014. We will have two full days available for sightseeing in the French Riviera. Those days are a Saturday and a Sunday. We plan to visit St. Paul de Vence on one of the days (half day) and Nice on the other day (half day). We have a private driver that will be transporting us from Monte Carlo to each city.

I read in my Rick Steves guidebook that we should NOT visit Nice on Sunday because the shops in Old Nice are closed on Sundays. Is this still accurate information? Should we plan to go to Nice on Saturday? Alternatively, if we go to Nice on Saturday, will all of the shops be open in St. Paul de Vence on Sunday?

Thanks for the help!

Shelley

Sunday is actually the best day of the week to go to St Paul de Vence....and even many French visit that town on their day off. Unlike most of France (such as Nice) just about everything is open. And yes, we would recommend going to Nice on Saturday...and make sure you start out in the morning with the Flower Market which is located in old town on the Cours Selaya.

And if you do go to St Paul de Vence on Sunday...try to get there in the morning. Instead of rushing inside the walled city...stop for a café au lait (or wine) at the café located just outside the main entrance. There is a boules court in front of that café and, if the weather is good, you will usually see some of the local men engaging in a serious game of boules. Its a great photo op...and also shows you some of the local flavor.

Hank

Same observation as Hank, St Paul is very nice on Sundays. Also plan on morning at the flower market and have some socca from Therese's stand (in front of the little church). Than have your cafe au lait at one of the many sidewalk cafes. The shops that sell Souleiado and other Provencal cloth - tablecloths, etc - are near the opera house. Visit the Palais Lascaris about 4 blocks behind the market. Google it for opening hours.

If you decide to go to Nice on Sunday instead of St Paul, they have an antiques flea market at the flower market instead of fruits and vegetables. I have found nice pieces of silver and jewelry there. Many of the shops are closed, but one of the cloth shops might be open, but not sure about that.

Archived