Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

Mechanical. Ah, yes; the elephant in the parlour, about which the crew members wish not to acknowledge to the pax. That's their job; we are aboard to have a fine cruise and they are aboard to keep us worry-free. But, when you have been a reporter for years and years, you start to notice things that don't add up.

The bearing/shaft problem.

Officially, nobody knows nothin' and them that does know, ain't talkin'. As it should be. And I hasten to point out that nobody talked, but it was the way they didn't talk that got all my reporter's instincts going in high gear.

Someone on the board mentioned that a bearing blew up in April and we in June heard the same announcement from Captain van der Loo (I think I have that right) as to the cause of our slower voyage, its repair, etc. I was told this was not accurate; there was only one bearing blow-out. There were two. Apparently localized to the same shaft and, in my own opinion, not something that would adversely affect a long-distance cruise where a few knots would make a difference. That, again, is my own opinion. It's like taking a long-distance car trip when you have to go a few mph slower, so you leave a bit earlier, perhaps arrive just a bit later. But something's up with that piece of machinery.

I think the ship is operating normally at this point, with all engines delivering full power as designed.

I had a grab-rail pull off the wall in my bathtub (one side of the rail), which nearly dumped me backwards out of the tub. I mentioned this to the front office and my steward. Nothing had been done by the time I left. I also mentioned it to the Hotel Manager, as the next pax to grab it might well tumble over backwards, hit their head and go thru the tunnel, see a bright light and dead relatives. The HM seemed very concerned, as he should be. If one of those has rusted out, perhaps the cabin stewards should check all of them. It's a long time since 1993 and we're suing for more and more $$ these days.

I wonder if the engine problem is similar to what happens in a home when you fix the plumbing, heater or appliance that has malfunctioned. Because they were operating under less than optimal conditions, once repaired and back to speed, something else goes kaput as a result of the better performance.

They may just have to keep making repairs until the ship drydocks and the engines can be completly overhauled.

Tom, I so loved reading all your stories of this incredible journey. I have to tell you that you have the most incredible attitude ... so upbeat, so fun loving. You have a wonderful way of looking at the world and what goes on around you.

You must be an absolute joy to travel with. I hope someday out there on the high seas I run into you ... but only if you promise never to write anything about me;)

Thanks for all this! You are great.

State of the Ship.

Looks good. On a couple of decks, there are what appear to be large water stains at the base of the aft staircases, but I can't think of anything else. That, in itself, is rather petty.

The ship is clean and --when you remember that we had 190 kids on the down trip-- that's pretty amazing. My last time out, on the Rotterdam, there was a point when the Lido waiters just stopped doing the tables; trays and dishes just piled up. Not the case this time. It was kept clear and clean.

I saw a few bits of detrius around the outer decks here and there: cups and napkins that pax left without making an attempt to bringing back to a more populated area. Other than that, nothing seemed to stay out very long.

Showroom and diningroom are both in good shape;I can see nothing wrong with either of them. All other places that I sampled also appear to be fine. Elevators are fast and in good condition with no marks in them.

We are possibly thinking about sailing on the Maasadam in January. Never having sailed on HAL, we were checking this board on recent posts about the ship to try and get a sense of what shape she is in. However, to have the incredible good luck to come across this marvellous thread has got to be a sign -- from somewhere -- that we should book this cruise. DH and I were doubled over, gasping, we were laughing so hard! And so long! The characterizations were amazing. If you and your fellow posters are indicative of some of the marvellous people we may encounter on a HAL cruise, we can't wait to be on board. Even though we may not have the opportunity to encounter the Women of Inspiration or the other charcters we read about, this thread has motivated us into actually requesting quotes.

This is such a refreshing approach and counters so many posts bemoaning the passage of time and wishing for the Gold Old Days (when we couldn't have afforded to go on a cruise to anywhere -- let alone Nowhere).

Thank you all so much for taking the time to build this thread. And TomC, a special thanks to you for all the posts from on board and various internet cafes in more than one language. We can only hope our paths cross in future travels.

-Cat & Dave

Sydney, Nova Scotia.

This is my own opinion and you may openly disagree, especially if you are from Sydney.

I don't think the community has got it all tied together, as far as being a tourist destination. I say this being a resident of a city which has not, itself, got it all tied together as a college town. Unlike other ports, this city's opportunities seem scattered, as if normally competitive, and not unified as it needs in order to fully utilize its existing power as a tourist destination.

For instance: When we land at the dock, there is a wonderful building with all kinds of locally-produced (or decorated) items, as well as a small free Internet center. Very nice and I always recommend it highly. BUT: I don't see anything that mentions the crafts available behind the church a block or two away. If you leave the port area, you will see signs directing you to the church hall, but I did not see anything in the dock building alerting you to it.

Nor did I see signs in either of those areas that informed us of what was available downtown -- two blocks away. What's there? Well, for one thing, a couple of stores with Cape Breton musical artists' compact discs. The duo of Elizabeth Patterson and David Burke sell their discs in the church hall, but there are others available only in the two downtown stores. Also, the right books in one of those places (look for a pile of them out in front).

I think the city should think of itself as a tourist destination in whole. Each merchant helps the others by thinking of themselves as a part of this whole. I'm not going to avoid the walking tour because of the CD store; I might fit them both in. After I take in the dockside store, I might want to check out the church hall, then go downtown.

We are a large part of Sydneys future. The old-timers (and maybe some young-timers) who resent our presence should ask the Chamber of Commerce how much $$ each ship visit brings. If, as happened last week, a bunch of fishermen think they can stick their little boats in front of a big cruise ship and mess up its departure, that same Chamber of Commerce should lean on them and tell them that just one ship changing its itinerary because of their short-sighted stupidity cost the city $$$.

My own opinion.

Things that went right ... and wrong

We have become a very litigious society which, I think, mirrors an immaturity that goes back to our infant days when we cried our eyes out every time we didn't get what we wanted, the instant we wanted it. Yeah, there's a time and place to complain and expect that the supplier come thru with the goods. But there's also a time to remember that nothing on this planet is perfect and that, folks, is life.

What went right, in no particular order.

The hand sanitizers in the dining places and the Internet room. An excellent idea and an easy way to get rid of whatever germs we may have picked up along the way. The HM told me just how powerful the stuff is and HAL's hope that people will use it to prevent outbreaks, rather than having to play catch-up later on.

The choice of cabin music: Pop, standards or classical. I like that. For me, standards during the day and classical at night. It's one of the small touches that make a big difference in my cruise experience.

Self-service laundry. It's a shame this is not available on all the ships. If the usage is down, then have fewer; but at least keep some of them for those of us who like to do a load of laundry before the cruise ends. Yes, there is the ship's laundry service; no, I do not care to use it.

Religious services. I wish I could have been there daily, but my sleep patterns are often beyond my control and I'd wake up too late to attend. When I could be there, I was; lots of people were. It's a nice touch and I hope it never ends.

Daily newspaper. Another nice touch, to keep us informed as to what is happening in the world. The tv news is nice, but you can't take it with you on deck or to the Lido and get informed that way.

What went wrong, in no particular order.

Not much, really. I'm pretty laid back and understanding, so not much ends up on the radar. The ice cream guy ran out of yogurt a couple days before we re-stocked in Montreal; we also ran out of the triangular hash browns they serve with omelettes at breakfast. No big deal with either one of those.

One of the grab handles in my tub/shower partially came off (one side) and a lot of rust fell out. I mentioned it to the Front Office and to my steward; nothing happened. I put it on the comment card at the end of the cruise and, when I happened to run into the HM, told him directly. I figured that something which is a big safety hazard (and, realistically, life-threatening) should have been fixed right away. You grab that thing thinking it will hold you, it comes off the wall, you tumble backwards out of the tub and your head is going to hit something hard. I was surprised that I had to go to the HM to get any action.

I honestly can't think of anything else that went wrong. Due to the engine shaft problems, we had to leave ports early and arrive late; we also missed the Fjord, which was a major disappointment to at least one person I met. But that was beyond anyone's doing.

You let the Front Office know (via the disembark sheet) what time you would like to leave the ship. When you get to the street, there will be a line of taxis and I did not wait long at all. I don't remember what it was, but it seemed to be fairly quick.

Overbooking.

Everybody does it, nobody advertises it; when caught, you try to put together a good comp package that will ease the pain. That's all well and good if you are the cruise line. But I ran into several people who had received calls from their TA's the week of sailing --perhaps four days before sailing-- asking if they would switch cruises and accept a comp package. One such pax was from California, four days before flying to Boston for the NE/C cruise. Three of them were at my table; I ran into two others in the Lido. Just how seriously did HAL overbook this one? Did the size of the Women Of Faith group (500) affect it? That is, did the group --or HAL-- expect that people would drop out and nobody did? I hope that enough people took the package and enjoyed a dollars-off later cruise, rather than being told, "You're not going anywhere; sorry."

The cruise contract.

I was reading it while waiting for my tea water to boil. It's pretty interesting. Ever look at it? Lots of times there are threads on the board speculating about matters which are clearly outlined in the contract. Makes good reading. Eye-opening in some parts, eye-glazing in others (hmmm, this ship is owned by this HAL company and registered here, this other ship is owned by that HAL company and registered over there, and that subsidiary is a subsidiary of HAL-something, zzzzzzzz). It's not "Know Before You Go," folks; it's a binding contract.

Guess what, Tom! Our 35-day cruise has been overbooked too. Today we had an offer from HAL to switch from our Cat. "C" cabin to an "E" or "HH" cabin with a refund of 25%. Can't believe they offered a downgrade!! Needless to say, we are NOT moving...that is their problem not ours.

Don't blame you at all,Liz. No reason you should take a downgrade unless you wish to. Some folks may have been happy to receive a sizeable refund of the fare they paid and it may have been worth it to them. It wouldn't be to me. Like you, we would have said No, Thank you.

Tom....

Did you notice if aft pool staircase going up/down from Lido deck still had the starboard side staircase unusable? It was roped off our two weeks aboard and I never saw a hint of anyone working on it.

It was pretty much finished when I left. They were replacing the wooden steps with new (or refinished) steps and I think all they had to do was put the rubber matting on. For a week, nothing was happening, then it was all going together, which makes me think they were re-doing the same wood and letting it cure, or whatever, before replacing it.

tomc, it's very nice to hear you had a nice trip, all things considered. On our Feb. trip, the weather was rather rough from Norfolk and back. On the first part of the trip, all the booze crashed out of the small shop and the paintings were crashing all over the place, as the poor stewards were getting them ready for the art auction. I know, because I couldn't sleep all night and roamed the ship like a mad woman!! One bad memory.:eek:

If I understand the question: Ship time is according to whatever time zone you are in at the moment. When you move into the Atlantic time zone, let's say, the ship clocks change to Atlantic time.

Any final questions?

I'm going to let this drop off the bottom of the page, as I can't think of any other reflections to add. I think I've pretty much covered it in my after-cruise review comments. It's time for LAFFNVEGAS to give you the latest news, views and commentary, then RuthC will pick it up as she starts her trans.

I'm complimented beyond words by the number of hits on this thread. Please accord Lisa (LAFFNVEGAS) a similar honor; she's a h*ck of a lot cuter than I am.

Stay tuned for "Live from the Noordam," starting October 14, 200six.

This post has come to you live from my newsroom desk,

dammitalltohell

Archived