Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

We left Montreal a short while ago, making full steam (as much as the Limpdam is able) toward Quebec City 'cuz we have to make the low tide in the wee small hours in order to get under the old bridge and still keep our mast.

The cast of characters at our table is:

Me, same table as last week and same chair.

Guy from Melbourne Australie we can't understand

A couple from Melbourne Florida we can understand

Two ladies from Nebraska

A couple from Montreal and I am sometimes the interpreter, depending.

The Montrealers have never been on a cruise before and are happily looking forward to what's in store. One lady from Melbourne has not cruised since Carnival bought HAL because she's heard it's not the same. I gently said that everything changes over time, failing to mention that she has gotten a little long in the tooth herself.

There are two babies in high chairs near us at supper. I think their yelling and pounding might be enough to drown out the old lady mentioned above. At least, I hope so.

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where even inside cabins have a verandah.

Tom,

Please try and understand the guy from Melbourne, Australia! I am sure we don't quite speak a different language to you. I hope all our C.C. buddies will be able to understand us when we meet up.

Jennie

Tom,

Please try and understand the guy from Melbourne, Australia! I am sure we don't quite speak a different language to you. I hope all our C.C. buddies will be able to understand us when we meet up.

Jennie

Jennie, isn't it "Melbunn"?

Jennie - we Canucks love the way you talk. :D The Americans always say that they know we are Canadians because we say "aboot" (about) "oot" (out). :eek: Aussies are the greatest - cruised with a group in 1981 and had the best time of our lives. :D

Esme,

We also love Canadians. Over the years we have been travelling we have met up with some lovely people from all over Canada. We are looking forward to visiting NewFoundland in just over two weeks time. That is the only part of Canada we are calling into on our Transatlantic on the Maasdam.

Jennie

Craig DiRocco is the CD, if we are thinking of the same person. Troy Anderson is now the Senior Assistant CD; had been CD last week.

Craig came back. That's great. We know he got off with us and weren't sure if he was returning. I'm happy to hear he's back aboard. We enjoyed him very much our two weeks.

Am I nuts and how did they know? When I boarded, back in Boston, I had the mandatory boarding photo taken by the ship's staff and the photog, in an attempt to be helpful, let me know where it would be posted. "You are in Section 8, sir."

Strangers in the night. The St Lawrence River is so wide, you'd think two ships could pass each other with more than just a few yards to spare. But, noooooo. We practically have to rip the paint off each other's hulls as we pass 'cuz no matter how much water there is from shore to shore, the channel is only wide enough for 1.5 ships (or so it seems). Well, maybe 2.1 ships.

Quebec City shop names are dull. I noticed that a conglomerate has taken over almost all of the shops in Quebec City that used to be run by individuals. At least, that's the way it seems as I walked around the city. They have all been given the same name: "Ouvert." At least, the ones that are open.

S'il vous plait, m'seur, not to scrape zee mast. We had to zip out of Montreal and get our stern flag up to Quebec fast last night so we could fit under the bridge by something like 2:15 or else we would have polished the top of the mast and the underside of the bridge.

Duh-h-h-h-h comment of the day. I was out on deck as we left Montreal and started downriver toward Quebec. As we went thru the dock area, someone said, "What are all those people looking at?" The person's spouse said, "Us. We're on a very big ship. They're looking at us."

This post has come to you live from the Maasdam

where every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet.

Sometimes when we travel we are mistaken for Canadians. I consider that a complement, but I've always been too embarrassed to ask why. s.

Do you say "eh"? I do and don't even know that I do.

I'm also told that we say "about" differently but darned if I can tell.

Or else, do you apologize when someone bumps into you?

All three are Canadian traits that I've been accused of. <g>

jan

Perhaps it's safer to ask an American if they're Canadian than it is to ask a Canadian if they're American. ;) We've been asked if we were Canadian, in Australia.

We provisioned in Montreal. Ran out of some flavors of ice cream as we ended last week's cruise, as well as yogurt. So now everyone's happy, including me. We took on a load of tomatoes; lots of them are ripe, a bunch are a little past their expiration date, a bunch are not quite ripe but good for viewing until their time comes.

Other matters.

--Lots and lots of people on the river today in Quebec City. Their summers are short, so they take advantage of what they've got. Also, a lot of bike riders are out, as well. As my brother says, "Ten months of winter and two months of lousy skiing."

--We have two locals at our table, from Montreal. Their grasp of English approximates mine of French. Makes it interesting for all involved. I'm sure the others with us are darned impressed at how we rattle on, when most of the time we're asking each other to repeat what we just said.

Dinner table conversation

--Picking up on the previous, here's how the introductory supper went this week. A bit disastrous, as you can tell. The principals were me (speaking both French and English), the couple from Montreal (also French and English) and some U.S. "America First" military guy who sits at my right. Not represented here are his wife, a fellow from Australia, a woman and her always-cold mother.

Lt Col: "Whatjacalled?"

Jacques: "Wot 'e say?"

tomc (in French): "He said, 'what is your name?'"

Jacques: "Jacques."

Lt Col replies.

tomc (in French): "He said, 'Your name, not what you wear inside your shorts.'"

tomc (in English): "He says his wife is inside his shorts every night and why do you want to know?"

tomc and Jacques prattle on in French, mostly futile attempts to understand each other.

Lt Col: "This is America, an American ship, and you two should be speaking English."

tomc: "We're actually in Quebec Province where the official language is French, and the ship is Dutch."

Jacques: "'e is 'orse turd."

Lt Col: "What did the frog just say?"

tomc: "'e say, uh, he said, 'the course turned.' Did you feel it? I just sensed a jerk."

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where flies are attracted by honey, and passengers by bread pudding.

So, Tom, how's the hot tub without the Ladies of Inspiration? And what about the 700 kids on board????? Your tablemates sound like a hoot. Keep us informed; we all like to laugh!!! Even my husband runs in when I tell him you've posted.

Esther

Tom, are you still cruising at only 17-knots?? Any suggestion that the engines will be ready for our North Atlantic cruise...if not, I could bet we will miss two ports on the way to Rotterdam as well as Cape Farewell & Prince Christian Sound.

Glad to hear your cruise is going well and hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

Liz....the engine is still being worked on. They are diligently working on the engines and want them all working perfectly as much (probably more) than us.

This is the third cruise to miss Saguaney cruising/fjord.

Dayum, Tom, it's a good thing you're not doing a world tour! Your hilarious narratives would certainly eclipse Grumpy's Prinsendam thread for number of posts and number of views.

Just found the thread today and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures.

Grumpy

Or is it aboot your adventures?

Sail...I am well aware they are diligently working on the engine and have been working on these engines since at least last October. They have had problems far too long as far as I am concerned without the ship going into drydock.

In all our cruises (over 80) we have missed ports because of weather many times...that is no problem and we understand that. However, if we have to miss ports because of the mechanical condition of the ship we will not be the only ones who will be upset...you would be too if you paid for a 35-day cruise!

Liz,

I agree with you. Even though we are only doing the 17 day segment of the cruise, we will have travelled half way across world and paid out a lot of money in air fares so do not expect to be missing ports. We always book our cruises for the itinerary and if we miss out on not seeing something because of mechanical problems, then we will be most upset as these problems have been going on for months.

Weather is a completely different scenario and one cannot do anything about that.

Jennie

Liz and Jennie, there's some ports I really want to get to, others I can skip if necessary.

Think HAL would like my list of what to cut out if they have to implement Plan B?

Perhaps tom will be able to end his "live" posts with happy news for us? tom?

I will also miss Tom's posts! But I had to stop and wonder when I read someone saying that Tom's posts would eclipse Grumpy's world cruise posts! Oops - then I saw that it was posted by Grumpy 1 himself and realized that he is really a class act! I would love to run into either Tom or Grumpy one of these cruises! Thank you both for your cruise info and pure entertainment!

Archived