Alaska in September.....HELP!

GummyBear

We’re giving some serious thought to booking an Alaskan cruise this Sept (Seattle R/T) and don’t have a clue of what were getting into. Can anyone tell me what to expect from the weather? Our ports would be Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria. How cold will it be on deck during the day while glacier and whale watching. Any recommendations please???

I've been to AK twice in September (9/11/01 and in 2002) and am going again this year on 18 Sept. First time weather was VERY cold, windy and wet (highs in the low 50's and below). The second time in the 70's everywhere and minimal rain throughout the cruise. So, with our luck, I am expecting something exactly in the middle of the two this year. Just pack to dress in layers, including something to protect you from the rain and you should be fine. Evenings and Glacier Bay time can be a bit cool out on the decks or balconies when the ship is underway.

I will also be in Alaska in September and would appreciate any info that i could get beforehand. I have been to Alaska once before in june, but my boyfriend has never been.

The historical averages say that September has the coldest, wettest and shortest days of the cruising season, so you should start with that as a basis for your planning.

The major benefit of September cruises may be that you have a chance of seeing the Northern Lights.

Murray

I've cruised the last sailings, when they were give away bargains- no longer. Last two years have had exceptional weather but clearly not the norm. Average is temps 40-60's, 3 days of rain and dusk by 7pm. It can be DARN cold out viewing the glaciers during your glacier sailing day a major reason your attire is so important. Take layers and definately those knit hats and gloves. :) Bargains are in all the stores which is a bonus. Those Sept. trips I took were always the second yearly trip and in every case earlier was better for me. :)

Archived