Gratuity added onto purchase?

dln929

I seem to have read somewhere that when one purchases a beer or cocktail on Azamara, there's no additional 15% gratuity tacked on? Did I read that correctly? Of course it's hardly going to break the bank but it would be a nice little treat if the price were the price and not the starting price. ;)

I've not sailed with Azamara yet but I thought there were no gratuities on drinks - only spa services.

I know it's usual with American owned ships but I thought it wasn't the norm on Azamara.

Thank you everyone for your speedy answers. No extra 15% on my husband's Guinness is like getting a free one at the end of the cruise (and this is where DH rolls his eyes at me and says "yeah yeah, I know, you have to spend money to make money...:D)

Deirdre,

Don't forget that unless you stray off the long list of included drinks, there is nothing to pay at all. Your husband will need to pay for Guinness.

I can confirm that no gratuity is automatically added, but when you are asked to sign there is a space for a voluntary gratuity.

Whenever we bought a special drink (eg champagne before dinner or metaxa after dinner) I added a gratuity.

Deirdre,

Don't forget that unless you stray off the long list of included drinks, there is nothing to pay at all. Your husband will need to pay for Guinness.

I can confirm that no gratuity is automatically added, but when you are asked to sign there is a space for a voluntary gratuity.

Whenever we bought a special drink (eg champagne before dinner or metaxa after dinner) I added a gratuity.

Thanks Bob, good point. At home the standard is to pay your bartender $1/drink and that's what we'll continue to do. My friend Sandi--Librarylady19--told me she starts stockpiling crisp new dollar bills prior to cruising in anticipation of tips. We've followed suit. Somehow I like our familiar system of giving a dollar rather than signing for a dollar on the slip. I guess we're creatures of habit.

Archived