Strasbourg, what day to go??

cruise kitty

Hi,

We will be staying in Paris a week post cruise this December. We plan on taking the train to Strasbourg (2 hr 20 min each way) for the wonderful Christmas Market, trying to decide which day of the week would be best to leave Paris.

Our tentative plans are:

Sun:, just wander aimlessly & take in Paris, find a cafe & good beer/wine

Mon: Eifel Tower & Arch De Triumph

Tues: Strasbourg or Notre Dame & Paris walk (rick steves)

Wed: Notre Dame & Paris Walk or Strausbourg

Thurs: Orsay & Sainte Chapel or Strausbourg

Friday: louvre

Sat: Just sightsee & wander, gardens, Montmartre

Sun: relax, then really long evening flight home

I've built in plenty on time wander, relax in cafes, & just take in the sites, I don't want to jam too much in, we will spend some evenings at the La Defense Christmas Market & probably do a little evening dinner cruise.

So what day would you recommend for Strasbourg? Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, & why?

Thank you very much in advance:)

• 2 weeks later...
It makes no difference. Play it by ear and pick a day with good weather while you are there. You don't have to get the train tickets ahead of time.

Thanks, I was wondering if certain days were more crowded than others, or if there were any days that would be better to not be in Paris.

My daughter used to live in Strasbourg and she said early week is probably slightly better than towards the weekend. However, the Christmas Market is one of the best in Europe and is very well attended so it will be very busy most days. It is well worth visiting the market and Strasbourg which is very very pretty. Hope you have a wonderful time there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Alohaaloha ~ Thanks for the info about Strasburg! We'll be there on a early December Monday as part of a River Cruise. I know just the cruise will cause a swell of people at the CM - but will have to survive that part!

Do you - or your daughter - have any restaurant suggestions near the CM? We have a morning ship's tour of Strasburg and then the afternoon free - plan on having lunch in town and then spending time at the market. We'd love a suggestion for lunch!!!

Thanks much!! (BTW - London is our favorite city - have been there about 5 times!)

My daughter used to live in Strasbourg and she said early week is probably slightly better than towards the weekend. However, the Christmas Market is one of the best in Europe and is very well attended so it will be very busy most days. It is well worth visiting the market and Strasbourg which is very very pretty. Hope you have a wonderful time there.

Thanks for the info! I think I'll plan for Tuesday, that way I'll avoid those staying for the weekend.

Alohaaloha ~ Thanks for the info about Strasburg! We'll be there on a early December Monday as part of a River Cruise. I know just the cruise will cause a swell of people at the CM - but will have to survive that part!

Do you - or your daughter - have any restaurant suggestions near the CM? We have a morning ship's tour of Strasburg and then the afternoon free - plan on having lunch in town and then spending time at the market. We'd love a suggestion for lunch!!!

Thanks much!! (BTW - London is our favorite city - have been there about 5 times!)

I too would love a recommend for lunch!

Thank you!

My daughter said you can't go wrong for lovely places to eat in Strasbourg, she said many of the riverside restaurants are very good and also the ones down the side streets of the spectacular cathedral ( and Christmas market) square. We had lunch in one of the side streets, the restaurant was called Le Gruber and it serves traditional Alsace-an food.

I recommend you try Flammekuche ( crem fraiche lardons onions and bacon a on a thin crispy dough base) , Baeckeoffe ( a delicious meat and potato pie) and for dessert, Streusel. And of course wines of the Alsace are delicious.

My daughter said to tell you the air of the Christmas Market is just full of the scent of mulled wine which is of course is a must try! Anything else you think of we'd be happy to try and help.

Alohaaloha ~ I THANK YOU and your daughter SO much!!!! We'll only be in Strasbourg for a day - OK, a few hours! - but since we do have the afternoon free your suggestions will be a big help towards us finding someplace special to experience the local cuisine!!

Thanks again - any other questions I think of I'll be back!

Alohaaloha ~ I THANK YOU and your daughter SO much!!!! We'll only be in Strasbourg for a day - OK, a few hours! - but since we do have the afternoon free your suggestions will be a big help towards us finding someplace special to experience the local cuisine!!

Thanks again - any other questions I think of I'll be back!

You're very welcome- I think you'll love Strasbourg, it's very a pretty, very old city with a lot of German architectural influence and a lot of fascinating history. The prettiest area (IMO) is the area called 'Petit France' and then of course there are the super modern buildings of the European Parliament, which I am sure will be part of your tour. I'm not sure if the riverboat trips will be running when you're visiting, but if they are, that's also a lovely way to see the city from another perspective and it takes around 45 mins? I'll be so keen to hear if you enjoy it.

• 5 months later...

Alohaaloha ~

Hope you get back here to read this but want to Thank You for your restaurtant suggestion in Strasborug! What a wonderful city!!! You were SO correct about Petit France - a fabulous surprise! The buildings are just wonderful!!!! And the Cathedral - just lovely, especially with the Christmas Markets all around!!

We had a wonderful day and lots of fun eating at Le Gruber ~ climbed all the way upstairs!!!! Our ship's tour ended at the Cathedral about 11:30am so I asked the guide about where the restaurant was - she was impressed and said it was a good choice! Plus it was very close to the Cathedral!

Thanks for your all your help and please Thank your daughter - her advice was perfect!!!

Strasbourg01.jpg.cc7f6457c8b796897719da417440510c.jpg

Strasbourg15.jpg.2d3ce40446c4c093bc354f6b4ca70f45.jpg

Strasbourg17.jpg.33ea84402fc589a6514b5e41f68a63b9.jpg

LeGruber.jpg.0e00d9f38538a016eaecfaec6102cc56.jpg

Alohaaloha ~

Hope you get back here to read this but want to Thank You for your restaurtant suggestion in Strasborug! What a wonderful city!!! You were SO correct about Petit France - a fabulous surprise! The buildings are just wonderful!!!! And the Cathedral - just lovely, especially with the Christmas Markets all around!!

We had a wonderful day and lots of fun eating at Le Gruber ~ climbed all the way upstairs!!!! Our ship's tour ended at the Cathedral about 11:30am so I asked the guide about where the restaurant was - she was impressed and said it was a good choice! Plus it was very close to the Cathedral!

Thanks for your all your help and please Thank your daughter - her advice was perfect!!!

Oh wow we are so thrilled! It's always a risk recommending somewhere, but we were pretty certain you'd enjoy the restaurant. Isn't Strasbourg just beautiful, I'm so glad you liked it, and it was our pleasure to help.

Oh wow we are so thrilled! It's always a risk recommending somewhere, but we were pretty certain you'd enjoy the restaurant. Isn't Strasbourg just beautiful, I'm so glad you liked it, and it was our pleasure to help.

I just wanted to thank you also, we actually did not go to Strasbourg after all, there were so many Christmas Markets in Paris, plus Paris itself took all of our time, we are now planing to do a land based Christmas market tour, probably involving Austria, Germany & Strasbourg in France, we plan on just using the train to travel from place to place, :) again, thank you very much!

I just wanted to thank you also, we actually did not go to Strasbourg after all, there were so many Christmas Markets in Paris, plus Paris itself took all of our time, we are now planing to do a land based Christmas market tour, probably involving Austria, Germany & Strasbourg in France, we plan on just using the train to travel from place to place, :) again, thank you very much!

Oh you're very welcome!My daughter also lived in Germany so if we can be any help with either France or Germany we'd be happy to help any time. Isn't Paris wonderful! I just fell in love with that beautiful old city, I wish we could have seen a Parisian Christmas market I bet they are just lovely.