Formal Nights Alaska on Sapphire

Coug12

I am trying to pack efficiently for our cruise next week. Will my boys (ages 10 and 12) be allowed in MDR on formal nights with dark dress jeans, long sleeve dress shirt and ties? Also must my husband wear a sport coat on formal night or will dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and tie suffice? Please help!

Your boys will be fine.

As far as your husband, this is confusing. Some Matride's/Head Waiters can be picker then others. I have friends who just returned from the Diamond and did not take a sports jacket and was allowed into the dining room with out any problems. I also have seen where they check just to make sure the guys are wearing a long sleave shirt and tie. Sometimes I have seen them require sports coats. I know a lot of men who carry their sports coat. But you probably wonder if he has to pack it in his luggage. If you are not going to bring it and are turned down in one dining room, I would suggest going to another one.

The speciality dining rooms (Sterling, Sabitinis, Alfredos) and the Horizon Court do not require formal attire.

It seems the dress code is more relaxed in Alaska and I wouldn't worry about the Sports Coat and on the slight chance you are turned down, I would try a different dining room or try the speciality restaurants (2 of them charge). I will probably be attacked for this but I have seen a ton of people in Alaska dress less than formal and have been let in.

We got back from our cruise on the Sapphire last week. My husband had no problem on formal night wearing khaki dress slacks, a long sleeved dress shirt and a blue blazer ( no tie).

Our son, who is almost 19, wore khaki slacks, a dress shirt and tie (no blazer).

On non formal nights, my son did wear nice jeans and a nice button down shirt without any problems being seated in the main dining room.

Archived