Caye Caulker. is it worth the visit??

delmar60

My family and I went to Caye Caulker through Coral Breeze last March. We had a great guide for the boat ride who really enjoyed talking and sharing his life with us. We got to Caye Caulker and rented a golf cart for cheap and went and hung out on the beach. Their local beer was cheap and tasty. We then went and ate a great lunch at a place on the water.

Definitely will go there again with Coral Breeze.

Hi, Do you mind if I ask how much it was to rent the golf cart? Also I was under the impression that this is a very small place so in your opinion was it worth it to rent the cart? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

would like to know too...how was the snorkeling and what was the boat time frame?? If we are on ship time from 8-6 then belize time is 6-4...is that right?

Snorkeling was okay - didn't see a lot but enjoyed the experience. We only snorkeled at the lazy lizard. The "reef" is actually an ocean wall that collapsed during a hurricane a few years ago. There was a strong current when we were there on August but overall the place was amazing. It was a very quick stop and wish we had more time. I would check the local time on the internet to be sure since I don't know what your ship time is.

If memory serves, the ship arrived at 7, we were on the first tender off, walked to the water taxi, and got on the 8am boat (with not a whole lot of time to spare). We arrived to Caye Caulker by 9, hitched a golf cart taxi to the Lazy Lizard which we found out, opened at 10. No problem though. Asked if we could bother them for a bucket of beer (while they were opening) and they were happy to comply.

Favorite port of the trip!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi, Do you mind if I ask how much it was to rent the golf cart? Also I was under the impression that this is a very small place so in your opinion was it worth it to rent the cart? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We didn't rent a cart but there were golf cart "taxis" when we got off the boat. We rented one for $5 per person to take us to the Lazy Lizard and arranged for them to pick us up at a certain time. They were there waiting and threw in a tour of the island in the way back. It was great to hear all about the island and not have to worry about anything. They were very accommodating and flexible but it was off season.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The cart was $10 for, I believe, 2 hours. The island is small but one of my daughters was recovering from a broken ankle and my other has trouble with being in the heat for too long so we got a cart to maximize our ability to get around. Even without those issues I'd rent one as it was so cheap and made getting around so easy.

The cart was $10 for, I believe, 2 hours. The island is small but one of my daughters was recovering from a broken ankle and my other has trouble with being in the heat for too long so we got a cart to maximize our ability to get around. Even without those issues I'd rent one as it was so cheap and made getting around so easy.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the island currently for a 10 day land vacation. We were here in Feb during a cruise stop, fell in love and thus returned for a longer stay.

San Pedro water taxi can be accessed right there at the cruise ship terminal. $10/person/each way. If you purchase your tickets in advance online rt/person is $38.50. A 45 min boat ride each way. Departure times are very reliable. If you reserve your tickets online you do not have to specify which departure/return time. Gives you flexibility.

No need to rent a golf cart to get around. The island is very small! From where San Pedro water taxi drops you off to The Split is a 5 min (?) walk, 10 at the very most and if you walk slow. $10 buckets of beer is very common at many places.

The Split is the popular hang out and swimming hole. However, was not our cup of tea. Loud reggae/rap like music, young people, etc..... We are not ol' farts by any means. Just like a different atmosphere than the 20 something crowd.

However, at The Split you can find a reasonably priced beach massage. Typically $15-25/half hour depending on which treatment you choose. However, yesterday and today (Mon/Tues) he offered a special $30 for one hour, any treatment. He did an excellent job. If he is not offering this special you can always ask and try to negotiate. Especially if its later in the day and business appears to be slow.

Snorkeling is almost non existent from the shore line. You really need to take a tour out to the reefs to see anything. We've been here 4 days now and I just saw my first school of fish today from our pier other than our excursions.

If you want to see the island I would recommend renting bicycles. Very popular here. I believe $10-15/day/person? Our cabana came w/ 2 bikes so I have not had to research the cost for sure. There are only 3 main roads so easy to give yourself your own tour.

There is a small trail system/nature preserve at the opposite end of the island from The Split. You don't read much about it on forums. At Tropical Paradise restaurant walk the beach front. Keep walking past Colinda's Cabanas (turquoise/yellow cabanas), the purple cabanas, etc and just keep going. It will lead you right past the airport and directly on to the trails. You can walk or ride your bike.

Renting kayaks is another option. I believe $10/hr, but again kayaks were included w/ our cabana so not positive on this. The island is relatively small so you can travel around much of the island in just several hours. Current is strong around The Split so much easier paddling along Front Street area.

MANY restaurants to choose from. Entire lobster meals for $10 + side dish + garlic bread is not uncommon. Lots of choices to choose from. Many people choose to dine along Front Street (the main street), but we tend to stray from the most "popular" and venture to those less traveled so to speak. We find we have some of the best meals and the most fun experiences. Check the side streets for some great options: Marins, Chans Take Out, Glenda's, Syds, etc..... For locations and more information about each of these restaurants check out trip advisors. $3 for a large burrito is pretty common at these places or $4-6 for an entire chicken dinner + sides.

The best way to explore Caye Caulker for the first time is by taking a snorkeling excursion to Shark Ray Alley and then they drop you on CC for lunch and free time. That's what we did this past Feb. Then you can decide for yourself if it's the place for you!

Have fun!

We are on the island currently for a 10 day land vacation. We were here in Feb during a cruise stop, fell in love and thus returned for a longer stay.

Thanks for a great review and all of the info! I am going to print your post out and put it in my travel binder. We were already planning to go here, and this is very helpful. Thanks again!

Can you share where you're staying? We took some photos of places we might like to stay on a return trip to the island. I'm compiling recommendations. Thanks!

We stayed at Colinda's Cabanas. HIGHLY recommend it. We visited CC in Feb 2013 during a cruise ship stop. Did like you and walked around looking at places we would like to stay. Went home, did lots of research on trip advisor, etc and made our decision. During our recent stay we also continued to look at other properties as we would walk by, as we would meet people and learn where they were staying, etc. Our decision to stay at Colinda's was only further confirmed!

I just posted a very long review on the Trip Advisor forum. It detailed why we felt Colinda's was the best place to stay for us, where we ate and the activities we enjoyed. You may find this helpful.

You will have a great time. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

San Pedro water taxi can be accessed right there at the cruise ship terminal. $10/person/each way. If you purchase your tickets in advance online rt/person is $38.50. A 45 min boat ride each way. Departure times are very reliable. If you reserve your tickets online you do not have to specify which departure/return time. Gives you flexibility.

No need to rent a golf cart to get around. The island is very small! From where San Pedro water taxi drops you off to The Split is a 5 min (?) walk, 10 at the very most and if you walk slow. $10 buckets of beer is very common at many places.

The Split is the popular hang out and swimming hole. However, was not our cup of tea. Loud reggae/rap like music, young people, etc..... We are not ol' farts by any means. Just like a different atmosphere than the 20 something crowd.

However, at The Split you can find a reasonably priced beach massage. Typically $15-25/half hour depending on which treatment you choose. However, yesterday and today (Mon/Tues) he offered a special $30 for one hour, any treatment. He did an excellent job. If he is not offering this special you can always ask and try to negotiate. Especially if its later in the day and business appears to be slow.

Snorkeling is almost non existent from the shore line. You really need to take a tour out to the reefs to see anything. We've been here 4 days now and I just saw my first school of fish today from our pier other than our excursions.

If you want to see the island I would recommend renting bicycles. Very popular here. I believe $10-15/day/person? Our cabana came w/ 2 bikes so I have not had to research the cost for sure. There are only 3 main roads so easy to give yourself your own tour.

There is a small trail system/nature preserve at the opposite end of the island from The Split. You don't read much about it on forums. At Tropical Paradise restaurant walk the beach front. Keep walking past Colinda's Cabanas (turquoise/yellow cabanas), the purple cabanas, etc and just keep going. It will lead you right past the airport and directly on to the trails. You can walk or ride your bike.

Renting kayaks is another option. I believe $10/hr, but again kayaks were included w/ our cabana so not positive on this. The island is relatively small so you can travel around much of the island in just several hours. Current is strong around The Split so much easier paddling along Front Street area.

MANY restaurants to choose from. Entire lobster meals for $10 + side dish + garlic bread is not uncommon. Lots of choices to choose from. Many people choose to dine along Front Street (the main street), but we tend to stray from the most "popular" and venture to those less traveled so to speak. We find we have some of the best meals and the most fun experiences. Check the side streets for some great options: Marins, Chans Take Out, Glenda's, Syds, etc..... For locations and more information about each of these restaurants check out trip advisors. $3 for a large burrito is pretty common at these places or $4-6 for an entire chicken dinner + sides.

The best way to explore Caye Caulker for the first time is by taking a snorkeling excursion to Shark Ray Alley and then they drop you on CC for lunch and free time. That's what we did this past Feb. Then you can decide for yourself if it's the place for you!

Have fun!

Do you know of any good/inexpensive tour operators to take DH & I snorkeling ? We will be there 1st week of December on Carnival Cruise. We are thinking of taking the boat from the ship to Caye Caulker, but who to get to take us snorkeling? (from all the reviews, it appears we should hire a tour company for snorkeling) We have never been to Belize, so any info will be helpful. Thank you so much for all your reviews as they are very helpful!

Do you know of any good/inexpensive tour operators to take DH & I snorkeling ? We will be there 1st week of December on Carnival Cruise. We are thinking of taking the boat from the ship to Caye Caulker, but who to get to take us snorkeling? (from all the reviews, it appears we should hire a tour company for snorkeling) We have never been to Belize, so any info will be helpful. Thank you so much for all your reviews as they are very helpful!

We are interested in this too.

Is there a Carnival excursion that will just take you to Caye Calker??? What's the name of it? We are on the Magic in Jan.

Edited by postalgrrl

We are interested in this too.

Is there a Carnival excursion that will just take you to Caye Calker??? What's the name of it? We are on the Magic in Jan.

I have never seen a ship excursion that ONLY goes to Caye Caulker. It's always bundled with a snorkel tour.

Coral Breeze offers transportation to Caye Caulker, it's listed as 'island escape' on their site. It's more than double the price of the water taxi though.

• 3 weeks later...

Carnival offers the shark and ray excursion which cpayne briefly mentioned in his/her report, price is $104pp and includes a short time on CC. We decided to go with the water taxi since we've experienced the rays elsewhere and want to maximize our time on CC.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have a current link to the water taxi service? When you click on the one for Cay Caulker from this thread, it shows that the website has been closed due to management's decision.

I also read in another thread that the water taxis have consolidated.

Has anyone been recently or have updated information?

Does anyone have a current link to the water taxi service? When you click on the one for Cay Caulker from this thread, it shows that the website has been closed due to management's decision.

i use this taxi.....http://sanpedrowatertaxi.com/

We used http://www.belizewatertaxi.com

They were directly beside the port, could see them from the tourist village

Can anyone tell me how the beach is here? Seaweed or any issues?

And thanks OP for this thread. I think I know what I want to do in Belize now!

There isn't a 'beach' per se if you go to the split. There is a huge dock area and the water is clear.

ImageUploadedByForums1389402496.063149.jpg.390858f17b1a255f46424edebef3d886.jpg

I read there was a beach south of the airstrip, but we didn't venture there.

Can anyone recommend a beach in case the music drives us away from the Split? :D;)

They had some football matches on the TVs, but I don't remember any music, certainly not loud enough that it registered in my memory.