Caye Caulker. is it worth the visit??

delmar60

They had some football matches on the TVs, but I don't remember any music, certainly not loud enough that it registered in my memory.

Thanks - I saw this statement earlier in the thread, that's why I wondered:

The Split is the popular hang out and swimming hole. However, was not our cup of tea. Loud reggae/rap like music, young people, etc..... We are not ol' farts by any means. Just like a different atmosphere than the 20 something crowd.

We are headed to Belize in a few weeks. In our group of 4 adults, there will be 5 kids, ages 5-14. We are looking for a nice beach to hang out at. A little swimming, beach snorkeling, lunch, etc. Any suggestions? We don't want to pay the cost of a snorkeling tour on a boat or do anything through the cruise line.

Thanks - I saw this statement earlier in the thread, that's why I wondered:

The Split is the popular hang out and swimming hole. However, was not our cup of tea. Loud reggae/rap like music, young people, etc..... We are not ol' farts by any means. Just like a different atmosphere than the 20 something crowd.

I can say there WAS a younger crowd there, mostly in their 20's, all backpacking like boho's (and making me wish I'd started my 20's that way). We chatted with people from all over the world. Very interesting.

I asked hubby about the music and HE remembers music at the bar. That said we sat not far from the bar and I don't remember it, so it couldn't have been THAT loud.

You could always ask the water taxi or a store owner about the beach further south. I read about it but we didn't seek it out.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='kcparrothead']I see there are about 3 water taxis that would take us there. Does anyone have any opinions about who we should use? Want to take it from the area next to the port.[/QUOTE]

My post #69 has a link to the water taxi next to the tourism village. Exit the village as far to the left (when exiting the tender) as you can. Turn left after exiting the village. Turn left again almost immediately into a small plaza area and the office is at the end on the right. The plaza has a coffee shop and a small store to buy soda (or beer...at 8am ... if that's your thing). ;)

Upon exiting the tourism village we were approached by one person who asked if we wanted a tour. We responded 'no thank you, we're catching the water taxi'. He told us to 'have a great day'. Not exactly the terrifying adventure I'd built it up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app