Riding the Cable Car in San Francisco

Would love some insight into riding the cable car from Ghiradelli Sq to the end of the line. How long does the entire ride take? I understand you must get off and get back in line to board for the return. How much time would you allow for the entire trip?

Any info would be helpful.

Thank you!

I recall it taking 20-25 minutes each way; an hour should be enough time to allocate to making the round trip and get plenty of pictures of the car being turned around at the far end. Although if it's busy and you want a seat - it does get a bit tiring on the arm if you're hanging on the whole trip! - you might have to let a car go without you so you can actually sit down...

Getting on or off at the major points can be very time in-effiicent as is trying to jump on say at lombard. There are almost always long lines.

Another strategy is to jump on on any of the stops along California or the other major street stops, riding it to the end, then catching a cab or bus back. Riding RT has little additional value.

Do yourself a favor and visit the cable car museum. It is a working museum. Also take the street car (F Line) back to the ship. Also if your a young 65 yr old like I am you can walk up the filbert step and plan your attack from there.

There are three cable car lines... The Powell Mason is closest to the cruise dock, the Powell Hyde runs from Giradelli square both end at Powell and Market.

The California line runs on California from the Ferry Building to Van Ness along California.

The California line is least crowded, but least interesting...

Powell Hyde runs across the top of Lombard Street (the "crookedest street", its not but don't tell anyone)

Powell Hyde and Powell Mason both run to the cable car museum as Washington and Mason... Its free... it is worth a visit.

The F street car runs from Fisherman's Wharf along the Embarkadero (our waterfront) past the cruise terminal, to the Ferry Building then up Market to Castro Street. It uses vintage street cars (mostly "PCC" cars from the 1950's painted for different US and Canadian cities, but also Italian cars, Australian Cars British cars, and 1920's San Francisco cars....

All are operated by the San Francisco Municipal Railway, our bus, subway and streetcar agency. Cable cars cost more... if you are going to ride more than once get a day pass at a cable car terminal

Locals usually walk up a block and get on at the first stop away from the end of the line...

Be careful when hanging on the outside... it is easy to get hit by a close car or truck... that being said I always hang on the outside...

Randy

Where do you pick up the F Line, we will be in SF during our Coastal cruise, end of Sept. I made a note of the Museum, looks interesting.

If you dock at pier 35 or 27, it will be across the street. If at the new dock (even number, probably 22?) different area, maybe line T to Embarcadero, switch to F?

Archived