Sorrento's Pizza

I prefer NY style over Chicago style too. NOT a deep dish fan at all! But I don't think all Chicago pizza is deep dish?

Sorrentos is really neither though. It's about on par or slightly better than Tombstone to me lol. Not great but not terrible.

Princess pizza looks incredible and like NY style and I've heard from many it's the best pizza at sea.

Princess good, yes and no. Depends if you are talking about the "stuff" that they serve out by the pool or the restaurant in the center of the ship. Very good there, but also very different. As for Sorrentos, not as good as any of the local take out around here (except the one that sells $5 pizza, anything is better than that).

Do I want to go NY and be stuck with a big floppy slice that doesn't have the fortitude to stand on its own or do I want to go Chicago and chew on something so full of crust I need chainsaw to cut it down to size. :p

I'll take neither and go thin crust. :D

I concur with Bob (Clarea). Most Chicago style pizza IS thin crust, crispy on the bottom when eaten right out of the oven. What you're speaking of is Chicago Original Pan Pizza, which is an entirely different animal (with cheese directly on top of crust, other ingredients on top of the cheese, then the layer of chopped tomatoes finish off the top. At the top Chicago Pan pizza restaurants around here, it is still crispy on the bottom when eaten fresh).

I, too, agree that one of the few things I enjoyed about Princess, was their pizza by the pool.

...or you could skip the pizza's altogether and go with a Philly cheesesteak. But Sorrento's doesn't offer that....yet!:D

Thankfully not.

All things are relative. For some, they might find Sorento's pizza pretty good. As we say here .... pizza is like sex, even when it is pretty bad, it is still pretty good.

But, I would prefer cheese and sauce on a paper plate compared to the Sorento's pizza on the cruise ships.

I've done the Freedom class twice and I (kinda sorta) remember that they had salads, antipasto, fruit, a couple of desserts, and maybe even calzones or stromboli(sp) slices.

Earlier this year on Oasis, Sorrento's was basically just pizza.

Is it good? Depends on your watermark. I'm from Chicago and we have high standards for pizza. It is NOT Chicago pizza, let me just say that it is not horrible. As my late husband used to say "It's better than a stick in the eye!". You can usually find little sandwiches at the Cafe Promenade, however, just down a bit and across the Promenade.

Enjoy your cruise. I'll be back on Freedom later this year.

dreamer976-

I'm from Chicago also! There is NO pizza on the face of the earth like one from the Chi...and with that being said, Sorrentos? Nah. Not even CLOSE to any pizza that I've had at home. I remember that my husband and I stayed up really late one night on Oasis and decided to have a slice before bed. Bad choice. Reminded me a bit of cardboard, but some people seem to like it a lot. Looks like the OP will have to formulate their own opinion on this one!

We are at odds a bit. I am from NY and prefer that style over Chicago and we have high standards also. For one that NY style is better than Chicago's. LOL

I'm also from Chicago, but I love NY pizza too. They're totally different, so I don't even think it's fair to compare them. I've yet to get good Chicago or NY style pizza on any cruise ship, but it's never been horrible, and certainly better than "a poke in the eye!" :)

I have never had either Chicago or NY pizza. In fact I don't really care for pizza. But DW, now she likes her on ship pizza. On LOS a couple years ago she quit counting at 38 slices. Then we went on Oasis, she only had about 30 slices. Must have had too many other food options. Last year on FOS, again around 30 slices. I certainly hope for her sake that she thought the pizza was pretty good.

We sailed FOS a little over a year ago and, believe it or not, one of the things DH said right after we booked our upcoming Freedom cruise was "So excited for middle of the night Sorrentos." It's not that it's great pizza (whoever said it was about on-par with frozen oven baked pizza is right), it's that it's free pizza available whenever you want it, especially after a long night dancing/drinking/gambling/etc. And it seriously beats the room service pizza, or the pizza served on some ships in the Solarium snack area. We actually did really like some if the antipasti like the grilled eggplant, garlic roasted tomatoes, and caprese salad at Sorrentos too.

For the record, I'm a NY pizza fan all the way, but I would take a REAL Philly cheesesteak over pizza any day of the week :D

As others have pointed out - Sorrento's pizza is OK.

They won't win awards for their products...but they also make a respectable pizza that does the trick when seeking a quick and easy meal between main meals...or late at night if you have the urge.

Personally, we find NY style pizza to be like eating paper mache with chunks of things on top - way too doughy. Our preference is thin crust Chicago-style pizza. The challenge is finding a place that knows how to make it properly and uses fresh ingredients.

In the meantime...Sorrento's is adequate for most people onboard.

We'd also agree that a properly-made cheesesteak tops any pizza anytime...but until Pat's or Chickie & Pete's opens up a place on an RCI ship...we'll have to wait for that.

dreamer976-

I'm from Chicago also! There is NO pizza on the face of the earth like one from the Chi...and with that being said, Sorrentos? Nah. Not even CLOSE to any pizza that I've had at home. I remember that my husband and I stayed up really late one night on Oasis and decided to have a slice before bed. Bad choice. Reminded me a bit of cardboard, but some people seem to like it a lot. Looks like the OP will have to formulate their own opinion on this one!

That is because you left out the "beer in hand" part that I mentioned above.:p:D

Just for the record, you don't fold NY pizza in half to eat it. Bend the end crust in a 45 degree angle and the pizza slice now looks like the letter "V". Start by eating the pointed end. :D

Damn straight. And that slice better be almost a foot long, too.

I'm lucky to have a pizza joint nearby run by a Brooklyn transplant.

Since we're arguing food, I don't care if you like it with or without beans, what they serve in Cincinnati ain't chili. :D

To me anything tastes good on a cruise. Would I choose it on a normal day?.... No, but on a cruise it is the best thing ever!! Lol!

LOL, I think the sea salt in the air adds just that little extra seasoning.

Having lived most of my life between the Mississippi and the Rockies, maybe I am not the best one to comment on pizza quality. But I have been around enough to have tried many different styles including Chicago deep dish at one of the well known places in Chicago; pizza in various places in Europe [Germany, Italy, Dubrovnik, etc.]. I have also sampled most of the well known take out chains -- in fact the red-roofed place started in our fair city. I have even tried one or two [shudder] of the frozen variety. I have to confess, in my various visits to NY I have not had an "official" NY slice. Anyway, with all that in mind, in my opinion, Sorrentos is not bad. I rate it better than the chains and light years better than any frozen pizza I have had. And I can take my slice out the nearby door and watch the sea go by -- hard to beat that! Can't really compare it to Chicago [which I thought was pretty good, but I tend to be more of a traditional pizza fan] -- just too different.

From what I have experienced the menu's at Sorrento's varies by ship. On some ships it's just pizza. On others there is sometimes choices of antipasto, meats, and pastries. As I mentioned in my last post I agree that Sorrento's on the Freedom of the Seas was the best, with the best selection of items.

So, they serve pizza. Do they have anything else like subs or calzone?

Also, are they any good?

Pizza is ok. We usually use it as a very late night snack, or, when we traveled to Europe, we sometimes used it as our main dinner (IMO, better than most of the Windjammer's food).

During lunch and early evening they had a pannini of the day.

There was a salad or two, some cheese, and a few desserts.

Pizza is ok. We usually use it as a very late night snack, or, when we traveled to Europe, we sometimes used it as our main dinner (IMO, better than most of the Windjammer's food).

During lunch and early evening they had a pannini of the day.

There was a salad or two, some cheese, and a few desserts.

Wow, you must think that the Windjammer is pretty bad.

At 1 AM with a beer in hand I think that Sorrento's pizza tastes just fine. Now, if I were anywhere other that as cruise ship and given the same pizza my opinion might be somewhat different.

I totally agree! My teens had no complaints, even without the beer, lol. And it was often used as a bribe to get the little one away from AO at night...she had a choice of a slice, or a cookie from the cafe. DH and I appreciated it's close proximity to the pub when we were out late visiting friends from the roll call.

Wow, you must think that the Windjammer is pretty bad.

Sorrento's is like a little pizza place you can find in a strip mall. Food is decent for a quick meal.

The WJ is like your standard buffet. Some things are ok, but then you have the cold food (that is supposed to be hot), empty bins (that should have food in them), and full bins with no tongs/spoons.

Even at home, if you give me the choice of a small little pizza parlor or a buffet....the pizza parlor will win every time.

Edited by hazeleyez3

So, they serve pizza. Do they have anything else like subs or calzone?

Also, are they any good?

No Subs, No Calzones. Some ships have Sandwiches as well

The Pizzas are OK for a quick bite. But that is about all. About the quality of a cheap frozen pizza. With all the great bread that they make on board, I dont understand why they cant also make fresh Pizza dough and get good tasting Pizza.

At 1 AM with a beer in hand I think that Sorrento's pizza tastes just fine. Now, if I were anywhere other that as cruise ship and given the same pizza my opinion might be somewhat different.

Yep Ocean- several gulps of beer might make one think that Sorrentos is really pizza...LOL

Damn straight. And that slice better be almost a foot long, too.

I'm lucky to have a pizza joint nearby run by a Brooklyn transplant.

Since we're arguing food, I don't care if you like it with or without beans, what they serve in Cincinnati ain't chili. :D

z44212- LOL, I don't wanna hijack the thread but you're right about the chili. One of my colleagues raves about Skyline Chili....UUUGGGHH!!! I think I'd rather eat 10 slices of that Sorrentos cardboard pizza!:eek:

Not sure if they are on all sailings but on the Indy I particularly enjoyed sorrentos pasties and pies cheese and onion especially. Not a great fan of the pizzas though.

I'm with you there, I thought the pizza was rank awful, more like a frozen supermarket thing. The pasties and pies were good though.

Best. Typo. Ever. :) Either that or I gotta book me some Indy!

No typo in tellyaddict's post that I can see.... Pasties (not pastries) and pies (steak & kidney, cheese & onion & pork etc) are served at Sorrento's on sailings from Southampton.