Huahine Options

Hi there,

We are trying to decide what to do on our day in Huahine. Our three options are:

- a ship tour

- Marc's tour

- hire scooters and explore the island on our own

We are leaning towards the third option as the rest of our days on the PG are quite 'planned' and we would like a day to explore at our own pace. We were planning on visiting the eels and pearl farm on our scooters.

Is this feasible on Huahine? Are there scooters available for hire at the dock? And would we be missing anything if we didn't do Marc's tour which we have heard great things about (please note we will be doing Ato's blue lagoon tour in Fakarava).

Thanks!

P.S - Happy 4th July from New Zealand! :)

We are on the PG now ,currently in Moorea. We did Marc's and Ato's tours last week. Except for the mandatory stops on Marc's tour at the pearl farm I liked his tour better than Ato's. Ato stopped once en route to the blue lagoon for snorkeling which was good. IMHO the blue lagoon was nothing special. We were there for a couple of hours and except for the reef sharks the snorkeling was not great. Back to the ship we did make 2 more snorkeling stops.

There are cars to rent at the dock area where the tenders drop you off. I don't recall scooters but if they had any I wouldn't suggest doing so. Remember if your in a bad accident the nearest full hospital is in Tahiti. The only island I give a green light on as far as scooters are Rangiroa & Aitutaki but that's me.

Huahine is a very pretty island to drive around. Lush/green and some nice vistas along the way for picture taking.

AVIS HUAHINE

Airport 8 AM to 4 PM

Downtown 8 AM to 4 PM

Tél : (689) 68 73 34

Fax : (689) 68 73 35

Adresse email : superfarenui@mail.pf

I didn't see scooters in Huahine when we were there a couple of weeks back. We did the ship's 4x4 tour, which could be more accuratly described as a circle island tour. If I did it again, I'd try and find something with both land and water. Wish we had booked Marc's or Ato's.

As for scooters, we had a passenger have a bad accident in Aitutaki. Story we heard is that the breaks didn't work very well and ship flipped it. She was taken off the ship in Rarotonga strapped to a backboard because they were worried she had a spinal injury. After her exam at the hospital the doctors determined she was just very seriously bruised and she made it back onto ths ship.

I think I'd avoid scooters everywhere.

I've rented scooters on Aitutaki well over 20 days over 4 trips and never had one problem. When I give a green light it's because there is very little traffic.

As far as breaks on a scooter I always go over the scooter before driving away from the rental place. If something is wrong I ask for another one. Same as a car, I always give it a good look and then within the first 1/4 mile test the breaks ........ just sayin'

Archived