Itinerary Question

PhotoGal07

I'm looking into taking my second cruise (1st was with RCL Enchantment) and I'm currently debating between two different cruise itineraries, and I was hoping you folks could help me out. One is to Barbados, Martinique and St. Maarten (through Carnival) and the other is to St. Maarten, St. Thomas with a stop at the Princess's private "island" (obviously through Princess). The problem is the few reviews I've read about Barbados and Martinique tended to use the words "run down" quite a bit, which makes me nervous. Have any of you had any experience with these two itineraries, what would you suggest doing in Barbados and Martinique? Thanks!

I'm looking into taking my second cruise (1st was with RCL Enchantment) and I'm currently debating between two different cruise itineraries, and I was hoping you folks could help me out. One is to Barbados, Martinique and St. Maarten (through Carnival) and the other is to St. Maarten, St. Thomas with a stop at the Princess's private "island" (obviously through Princess). The problem is the few reviews I've read about Barbados and Martinique tended to use the words "run down" quite a bit, which makes me nervous. Have any of you had any experience with these two itineraries, what would you suggest doing in Barbados and Martinique? Thanks!

----------------------------------------

Yes, downtown Bridgetown is like many other big cities and does appear "dirty" to some. But B-town is such a small part of the island. The rest is quite beautiful with lots and lots to see.

If you just taxied from the ship to B-town, you would not have a high opinion of Barbados. But if you choose to venture to other parts of the island (like our East coast), you will be pleased.

Here is a picture of Crane Beach on our SE coast, voted one of the ten best beaches in the world:

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

As for Martinique........

Have a wonderful cruise regardless of your choice of ports! :)

Barbados is amazing-- do some snorkeling or some water activity. The beaches are like flour, the sand is so fine and powdery. Lots of great memories of that island. As for Martinique, if you enjoy having the natives embrace you with attitudes that scream, "Just give us your money and get the %^#@$ off our island," it's the place for you. Suffice it to say, won't be going back there anytime soon...

Regarding Martinique, we were there on a cruise last November. We had a wonderful time on the ship-sponsored catamaran snorkel and beach tour. We didn't even go into town, but got to see the lovely views of the island, swim and snorkel near some fascinating caves and gorgeous beaches, and we even came withina few yards of some playful dolphins who were racing with the catamaran.

I think either itinerary will be nice, and could work for you. You just have to pick the right excursions (either through the ship or do-it-yourself), and you will have a great time. These boards are the right place to start.

Enjoy!

Bill

Re: Martinique

Been there twice on cruises - enjoyed it both times. The interior of the island is lush and beautiful. Whatever you do if you go there - don't stay in Fort de France - get out and see some of the island.

I have always found the local people friendly and helpful but I do speak some French and I make an effort to use it. Also I remember my (French) manners:

It is the French custom that if you enter a shop YOU are expected to great the proprieter - it's amazing how much good will a simple Bonjour and a smile will get you - rather than immediately pawing the merchandise (not done) and demanding a price. Also taking someone's picture without asking is considered incredibly rude - yet if you ask nicely most of the people asked will co-operate happily.

Archived